Zelph's "GoTo" alcohol stove
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Zelph's "GoTo" alcohol stove on 04/22/2010 16:10:00 MDT Print View

I've been working on a few new items.

One of them is a new stove that is a hybrid of the Cobalt Blue Soloist. The stove is made of a Venom energy drink bottle and has an aluminum pot support integrated into the stove. It has a fuel capacity of 4 ounces. Blooms on average of 8 seconds and is not effected by cold pots of water being placed on the stove. It has a high temperature fiberglass ignition wick attached to the pot support for cold weather lighting. It replaces the copper ignition wick that was used on the Soloist.

I am now able to produce 6" corrugated EZ-Fold windscreens with an extension on my crimping tool.

I have perfected a corrugated simmer sleeve for the new stove. Works really slick. Works on other stoves as well.

I also have produced graduated fuel bottles showing increments of 3/4 ounce. Makes filling the stove very easy and is a quick visual to let you know how much fuel you have left. 3/4 ounce of fuel will boil 2 cups of water under most field conditions. I have done extensive testing of the new stove and I'm going to make it my "GoTo" stove.

The stove is 2.5 inches in diameter and 2.75 inches in height.
It's made out of aluminum bottles and is light weight.
It is a double wall, low pressure stove. Bloom on an average of 8 seconds.
Has a 4 ounce fuel capacity.
Has the ability to simmer using the new corrugated "simmer sleeve". The simmer sleeve stores around the stove, has a small extended handle that easily folds close to the stove for storage.
Has a 1/2 inch wide fiberglass ignition wick that helps light the stove in cold weather.It carries the flame from your match down to the surface of the alcohol.

Something that I noticed over the years is the need for a fuel bottle with graduated lines to see how much fuel is being added to the stove. I made up some Mylar decals(screen printed them) and applied them to some 4 ounce bottles and WoW!!! makes life easy when filling the stove.

The "Simmer Sleeve" is made of the same durable aluminum as the windscreen. Because it's corrugated it will maintain it's shape.

Watch the videos.

In the beginning of this one you can see the flames coming out of the 16 jets.
<center>

</center>

Edited by zelph on 04/22/2010 19:21:34 MDT.

Bill Reynolds
(billreyn1) - M

Locale: North East Georgia Mountains
"Zelph's "GoTo" alcohol stove" on 04/22/2010 16:33:12 MDT Print View

Cool stove. I have the cobalt Blue. What is the weight and price of this one?

Dan Yeruski
(zelph) - MLife

Locale: www.bplite.com
Zelph's "GoTo" alcohol stove on 04/23/2010 10:26:55 MDT Print View

Hi Bill, if enough interest is shown in this stove I can make some available. I have misplaced my spec sheets on boil times and length of burns and will have to redo them this weekend.

This video will show how well the stove performs under the Snow Peak 600 mug. The little side show on the lid used for the foster pot was for someone that had a question on it over at HammockForums. The lid is known as the "Jess Lid" made with the lid of Lifesavers fruit mints container. Not sure if they are still available in stores.

<center>

</center>

JT Croteau
(Tobit) - F

Locale: Shadows of the White Mountains
Excellent on 04/24/2010 04:00:35 MDT Print View

Zelph, nice work.. glad to see you still playing with these. I'd definitely add one of these to my collection if you made a few. My FancyFeast stove is still my favorite at the moment.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Zelph's "GoTo" alcohol stove on 04/24/2010 04:46:03 MDT Print View

Looks cool. Curious about the weight.