Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Salt and Pepper containers?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Gordon Smith
(swearingen) - MLife

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Salt and Pepper containers? on 05/28/2006 13:03:37 MDT Print View

Hey folks,
I'm looking for ideas for salt and pepper containers. I just bought this thing at REI:

http://www.rei.com/online/store/ProductDisplay?storeId=8000&catalogId=40000008000&productId=48039871&parent_category_rn=40003661&vcat=REI_SEARCH

It only weighs an ounce (empty) but it's still really overkill for most backpack trips. I suppose the lightest solution would be the little paper S&P thingies you get at Burger King but I'm looking for something a little more durable (and waterproof). I used to have the 35mm film can S&P shakers but they've gone missing. Thanks for the help!
Gordon

William Wright
(FarStar)
Re: Salt and Pepper containers? on 05/28/2006 20:58:46 MDT Print View

For an ounce you can carry seven BPL MiniVials. Each has a capacity of 0.5 tablespoon. Less than seven should be adequate for a person's seasoning needs--salt, pepper, and one or two more for a nice variety--for a weekend trip.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Salt and Pepper containers? on 05/28/2006 21:05:20 MDT Print View

How about the plastic mini-vials sold here?
http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/fluid_vials.html

I order office supplies and got these by mistake-- I didn't get the scale of the illustration-- they are perfect for hiking: http://www.bettymills.com/shop/product/view/Office%20Snax/OFX1013.html

You might find the same in a drug store or grocer; otherwise, the web site above carries hand sanitizer, etc, to balance out the cost of shipping.

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Re: Salt and Pepper containers? on 05/29/2006 11:25:31 MDT Print View

Personally I collect those individual Salt and Pepper packets and include a couple for each meal. The left over wrapper can be used to start a fire (if you dare to have one) or adds little weight to your packed out trash.

I do use the small 1/4 ounce vials sold on this site for other spices like Mrs. Dash's, cinnamon, Garlic powder, etc. I use the Micro droppers for liquid things like Tobassco Sauce, bleach, deet, Aqua Mira, etc.

You could get creative and make your own custom spice mix in a small vial, but for a specific Salt and Pepper container, I choose the individual packets. They can be put into a waterproof container. Perhaps even the food container they are to be used for.

Edited by mikes on 05/29/2006 11:26:38 MDT.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Salt and Pepper containers? on 05/29/2006 12:21:17 MDT Print View

"I do use the small 1/4 ounce vials sold on this site for other spices like Mrs. Dash's, cinnamon, Garlic powder, etc. I use the Micro droppers for liquid things like Tobassco Sauce, bleach, deet, Aqua Mira, etc."

I love a little DEET in my Top Ramen- it's da bomb ;)

Dane Burke
(Dane) - F

Locale: Western Washington
bleach? on 05/29/2006 12:51:25 MDT Print View

Mike, what do you carry bleach for?

Mike Storesund
(mikes) - F
Re: bleach? on 05/29/2006 16:09:47 MDT Print View

>>>" Mike, what do you carry bleach for?"<<<

It is not something I carry every time. I use a couple drops of bleach for the final rinse of dishes when going with a full group of scouts. It is a sterilization method and much better than bringing a whole bottle. Also the drops prevent those accidents of spilling more bleach than needed.

Edited by mikes on 05/29/2006 16:22:33 MDT.

Eliza Cava
(ecava1) - F
cheap spice/pill containers- contact lens cases! on 05/29/2006 22:12:39 MDT Print View

I held a little mini-drive among all my vision-impaired friends, and came up with about a dozen different contact lens cases (each is for a pair of lenses). Each set of two weighs about half an ounce, and they can be used in pairs (salt and pepper?) or hacked in half for solo items (ibuprofen?). They hold solids and powders really well, are terrific for gels, hand creams, ointments and the like, are waterproof, and do fine for carrying liquids if you don't plan on pouring careful amounts for dispensing (soap?).

Also, they're free! Most every contact-lens wearing friend you have has at least two or three sitting around that they don't use.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Re: cheap spice/pill containers- contact lens cases! on 05/30/2006 17:05:41 MDT Print View

"came up with about a dozen different contact lens cases"

Pure genius! (Improvised) Gear of the Year candidate. I have about a hundred of these buggers laying around and I just spent ten bucks at REI buying plastic bottles for various things.

Eliza Cava
(ecava1) - F
why, thank you! on 05/31/2006 10:54:56 MDT Print View

Glad you like the idea! I'm sort of a cheap container nut, so I also collect old plastic spice bottles, prescription pill bottles of all sizes, soap dispenser bottles, and so forth for material storage purposes.

Michael Wands
(walksoftly) - F

Locale: Piney Woods
Eliza - You Genius on 05/31/2006 16:40:36 MDT Print View

No more Dr. Bronner's as toothpaste!!! No more spitting soap bubbles!!!

I have been wondering how to carry a weekend's worth of actual tooth gel. Now Eliza provides the perfect solution.

Thank you, Thank you, Thank you