AMK Emergency Bivy + Sleeping Bag
Display Avatars Sort By:
Han Ngiam
(hanngiam) - F
AMK Emergency Bivy + Sleeping Bag on 04/22/2010 05:33:08 MDT Print View

Can anyone comment if they have combined an emergency blanket with their sleeping bag as an ultralight solution to a warmer but heavier bag? Is it just as effective? If you did, what was the outside temperature, sleeping bag rating and whether you were cold or not.

Rolf Exner
(rolfex) - M

Locale: Melbourne
AMK Thermal Bivy INSTEAD of a sleeping bag on 04/22/2010 06:41:43 MDT Print View

I have successfully used the AMK Thermal Bivy (not the emergency bivy) instead of a sleeping bag as an ultralight quilt for two people. I previously cut the bivy open to make it into a large quilt, and wore a tee-shirt, lightweight thermal pants and socks for the night, which was spent in a tent, not under a tarp. I was plenty warm overnight and so was my wife - perhaps the trick was snuggling up close! Temperatures went down to about 10C/50F. The bivy weighs 7 oz, so this amounted to a 3.5 oz "sleeping bag" per person for the night. I thought it was a great way to keep pack weight down on summer trips.

Han Ngiam
(hanngiam) - F
Re: AMK Thermal Bivy INSTEAD of a sleeping bag on 04/23/2010 08:55:40 MDT Print View

Glad to hear that you went for an even lighter alternative. I also wonder if this is the wrong place to post this discussion. If so, can one of the mods move it?