AMK Emergency Bivy + Sleeping Bag
Display Avatars Sort By:
Han Ngiam
(hanngiam) - F
AMK Emergency Bivy + Sleeping Bag on 04/22/2010 05:33:08 MDT Print View

Can anyone comment if they have combined an emergency blanket with their sleeping bag as an ultralight solution to a warmer but heavier bag? Is it just as effective? If you did, what was the outside temperature, sleeping bag rating and whether you were cold or not.

Rolf Exner
(rolfex)

Locale: Melbourne
AMK Thermal Bivy INSTEAD of a sleeping bag on 04/22/2010 06:41:43 MDT Print View

I have successfully used the AMK Thermal Bivy (not the emergency bivy) instead of a sleeping bag as an ultralight quilt for two people. I previously cut the bivy open to make it into a large quilt, and wore a tee-shirt, lightweight thermal pants and socks for the night, which was spent in a tent, not under a tarp. I was plenty warm overnight and so was my wife - perhaps the trick was snuggling up close! Temperatures went down to about 10C/50F. The bivy weighs 7 oz, so this amounted to a 3.5 oz "sleeping bag" per person for the night. I thought it was a great way to keep pack weight down on summer trips.

Han Ngiam
(hanngiam) - F
Re: AMK Thermal Bivy INSTEAD of a sleeping bag on 04/23/2010 08:55:40 MDT Print View

Glad to hear that you went for an even lighter alternative. I also wonder if this is the wrong place to post this discussion. If so, can one of the mods move it?