Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Glacier Park. Which Season?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Glacier Park. Which Season? on 05/26/2006 23:29:07 MDT Print View

If you could trek the trails of Glacier National Park only once in your life, which month of the year would you choose? I guess it would be only a four potential answer question for me: July, August, Sept., or late Sept.

I would not be surprised to find some hearty soul offering a January answer here, but having spent a little time on the plains of Montana during the winter, I cannot contemplate living in that kind of cold at elevation.

Jim Colten
(jcolten) - M

Locale: MN
Re: Glacier Park. Which Season? on 05/28/2006 21:13:41 MDT Print View

I haven't been there but a coworker who takes all his annual vacation in Glacier's backcountry (every year) leaves home (MN) on Labor Day and returns during the last week of September. His main objective is observing wildlife, especially bears.

Scott Peterson
(scottalanp) - F

Locale: Northern California
Re: Re: Glacier Park. Which Season? on 05/30/2006 12:53:31 MDT Print View

Wow! That is quite a vacation! Must be a teacher?

I suppose you can't go wrong with when to go. I was just hoping for a little insider knowledge if there were certain times to avoid...as a result of something that is not in the typical books on the subject.

Jumble Jowls
(JumbleJowls) - F
Re: Glacier Park. Which Season? on 07/03/2006 01:04:30 MDT Print View

Jumble Jowls went to Glacier NP in late November a couple years ago, and loved it. It was chilly to cold (got down to 8 degrees one morning), good hiking weather. On one of my hikes it snowed. Very beautiful.

Also I didn't have the bear worries that I would have had in September, when the bears are reportedly very edgy and more prone to attack. Although, some of the locals told me that many of the male bears were still out and foraging because the huckleberry crop had failed that year. Made for an interesting hike down from a mountain in the dark one evening ... used my vocal cords quite often to let old grizz know I was around.