Forum Index » Gear Deals » New Company Manufacturing Down Quilts, Down Balaclavas and Ultralight Biyvs

Display Avatars Sort By:
Peter Longobardi
(paintplongo) - F

Locale: Hopefully on the Trail
Nice on 04/21/2010 10:52:07 MDT Print View

Congrats on the new company! If you ever need a sales/marketing/purchasing guy, give me a shout!

Best of Luck!

Mike Klinefelter
(mjkline)

Locale: Southern California
Right zip bivy only on 04/21/2010 14:08:45 MDT Print View

Very nice looking stuff, but essentially zero options. I went to order the zip bivy which comes in 2 sizes, so I chose the large since I'm 6'6", so far so good. Then I looked for the left zip choice but couldn't find anywhere to select that, so I went back and looked at the photos and the bivy shown is a right zip...uh oh. A quick call confirmed right zip only, which is a deal killer for me since I own no less than half a dozen left zip bags. Bummer, I really liked the product so much that I was just about to pull the trigger and order a bivy. No custom work is one thing, but no basic choice like right or left zip is another thing that basically makes the option very unappealing to those folks who already own left zip bags.

I've always owned left zip bags going all the way back almost 40 years to my first North Face Superlight bag. I'm now curious, what do most other people who use more conventional bags use, right or left zip?

Edited by mjkline on 04/21/2010 14:12:15 MDT.

todd harper
(funnymoney) - MLife

Locale: Sunshine State
Re: Right zip bivy only on 04/21/2010 14:31:33 MDT Print View

Left zip here

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Zip on 04/21/2010 15:07:43 MDT Print View

The designs are definitely quilt-oriented. If you're right handed, left-zip bags are easier to use, since you're just zipping straight up and down. But, if you're using a quilt, a right zip makes sense--you begin unzipping by reaching across your chest (easy if right-handed) and you finish by reaching way down on the right side. Zipping up reverses the process.

Mike Klinefelter
(mjkline)

Re: Zip on 04/21/2010 17:36:20 MDT Print View

James, I partly agree with you that if you're right handed, a left zip is easier to use since you reach across your chest with your favored hand to zip or unzip, rather than using your less coordinated hand. And of course in a tight fitting mummy, it's nearly impossible to use the same had that's on the zip side since you don't have enough room to move your arm up and down. But on the second part of what you said, it shouldn't make any difference whether you use a quilt since quilts don't have zippers. Now if you meant using a quilt in a bivy, well then I still don't see how it differs from using a mummy bag. The majority of the zip is on the opposite side and only the final closing comes across the face closest to the hand your using to zip and unzip. I would think that if you're right handed, you'd still want to unzip across your face with your right hand moving the zipper away from your right side, then down the side opposite your right hand, the same rational for using a left zip mummy bag if you're right handed. Anyway, that's my thinking, quilt or no quilt.

The other reason in the old days that I recall left zip sleeping bags were more popular (aside from the fact that they're easier to use if you're right handed and the majority of people are right handed) was that they used to make bags to pair or zip together. The left zip bag had the draft tube on the top of the zipper and the right zip bag had the draft tube on the bottom of the zipper so that when you zipped 2 together, there was a draft tube covering both zips (hope that makes sense). So the theory was that for everyday single use, if you had a draft tube on the bottom of the zip, it would have more of a tendency to fall away from the zipper thus creating a cold spot. But, if you had the draft tube on the top, it would naturally hang down and cover the zipper area. All the major bag makers of the day (30 to 40 years ago) used to make bags this way. Anyway, that's my thoughts on the matter. Thanks for your input!

My guess is that someone at Katabatic gear is left handed, probably Aaron. Notice in his picture he appears to be using his left hand to take the photo. He probably always used right zip bags and never thought about why. When making the decision to only offer one sided zip on the bivy, it was probably natural to just choose what you use. Just my theory on the matter.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: New Company Manufacturing Down Quilts, Down Balaclavas and Ultralight Bivys on 04/21/2010 17:56:17 MDT Print View

Aaron,

Very professional from the website design, content and products.

Please post when your quilts are available.

Any other gear you are considering?

Jim Sweeney
(swimjay) - MLife

Locale: Northern California
Zip on 04/21/2010 18:40:07 MDT Print View

Mike, I did mean using a quilt in a bivy, and sorry I wasn't clearer. Of course you're right, quilts are zipperless. What I was trying to point to was that, IMHO, bag vs quilt/bivy are different situations, and, interestingly, the favored zipper position switches sides depending on which one is using. I'm right handed, and prefer a left handed bag, and, when using a quilt, a right handed bivy. A left handed person might prefer the opposite.

And best wishes to Katabatic (great name). When that freezing air comes flowing down from the peaks at 3 AM, you know you want the bottom of your quilt well-sealed to whatever it's on!!

Edited by swimjay on 04/21/2010 19:33:13 MDT.

(charleswwoods) - F

Locale: Wandering
Good Luck. on 04/21/2010 18:58:35 MDT Print View

Site and Bags Look Great! Best of Luck! If you're ever in the Durango area, hit me up.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Good Luck. on 04/21/2010 19:12:40 MDT Print View

Wow! If I ever move to a quilt, I'll definitely be looking into your stuff. With your system of attaching it to the pad, you're almost bridging the gap between bags and quilts. Well done.

Aaron Martray
(amartray)

Locale: Katabatic Gear
Left Zip Bivy on 04/21/2010 19:55:35 MDT Print View

Mike, your argument for a left zip bivy is convincing, and it looks like there is more demand for them than I had anticipated. I will be adding them to our product line. I'll update the availability on our website once I know when we can fit them in. Thanks for your input.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Nice on 04/21/2010 20:17:07 MDT Print View

Very nice gear. Hopefully you offer reasonable shipping options to Canadian customers (ie. USPS).

Based on the specs on your site, the 23.5oz Sawatch really stands out as offering a ton of warmth for the weight. With 15oz of down, the down comprises an excellent 64% of the total weight. It's also impressive that the quilt shell (8.5oz) is only 0.7oz heavier than the 15F rated Palisade shell (7.7oz).

Edited by dandydan on 04/21/2010 20:32:56 MDT.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re :"New Company Manufacturing Down Quilts, Down Balaclavas and Ultralight Biyvs" on 04/22/2010 02:10:46 MDT Print View

Looks very nice and professional. The Sawatch is tempting for later this year.
What are the opened out dimensions of the Sawatch? I'm not sure from the description if the 61" girth is including part of the sleeping pad. Is it a taper from the neck, or straight sided then a taper? I never use the straps on my quilt to fasten to a pad. I prefer them to be loosely around myself. Will the cords work fine without using the pad?

Steven McAllister
(brooklynkayak) - MLife

Locale: Atlantic North East
Near Perfect Sleep System on 04/22/2010 04:48:32 MDT Print View

I have to say that they addressed what I consider the slight shortcomings of quilt based sleep systems. If I was to start all over, I'd get one of the quilts, balaclavas and bivies.

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
Quilt width on 04/22/2010 08:54:18 MDT Print View

based on the site's info, the 61" girth is with each edge of the quilt in 4" from the side of a standard width 20" pad making the pad's contribution 12". If you subtract this from the 61" you get a 49" actual width of the quilt at the widest point.

These look good, especially when viewed from a complete system perspective of the quilt, hood, and bivy. I just wonder how the attachment system might work with my new Kookabay 24" wide downmat.

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: New Company Manufacturing Down Quilts, Down Balaclavas and Ultralight Bivys on 04/22/2010 09:29:52 MDT Print View

The Gear Deals forum should be for gear deals and not new company announcements.

Frank Steele
(knarfster) - F

Locale: Arizona
Why Not on 04/22/2010 10:57:12 MDT Print View

Why not post the company announcement? A good 17 oz quilt with 9 oz of Down for only $315 sounds like a "Deal" to me.

Mike Klinefelter
(mjkline)

Re: Left Zip Bivy on 04/22/2010 11:54:15 MDT Print View

Aaron, thanks for your prompt response. I think you'll find that this slight change in your zip bivy offerings will make it much easier to meet the needs of most people. I look forward to getting the bivy when the left zip is available. I'm also keeping my eye on the quilts, I really like the look of that system! Of course being that I'm 6'6", I'll have to wait until the long model is available. Hopefully as business takes off you'll be able to expand your offerings, but I think it's great you're focusing on a couple of well designed and implemented products for which there is a real need in the market place. Best of luck with the new venture!

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: Nice on 04/22/2010 21:27:48 MDT Print View

Sweet looking quilts! Please rush the long bags into production for us big guys.

Peter Griffith
(petergriffith) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Long Quilt Specifications on 04/23/2010 00:39:50 MDT Print View

Here are some specifications for the Long size Katabatic Gear quilts that Aaron provided to me. This will allow you to compare to other quilts.

Our long size fits to 6'6". For the Palisade and Sawatch in the 6'6" length: shoulder width is 55", hip width is 44".
We have not made any bags in the 6'6" length yet, however here are our projected weights:
Palisade total weight 17.8oz., fill weight 9.6oz.
Sawatch total weight 24.8oz., fill weight 15.7oz.

Baffle height for the Palisade is 1.25", the Sawatch is 2.25"
Packed size for the Palisade is about 13" X 6.5", the Sawatch is 15" X 8"

Matthew Perry
(bigfoot2) - F

Locale: Oregon
Re: Long Quilt ---Prices? on 04/23/2010 21:52:54 MDT Print View

"Here are some specifications for the Long size Katabatic Gear quilts that Aaron provided to me. This will allow you to compare to other quilts.

"Our long size fits to 6'6". For the Palisade and Sawatch in the 6'6" length: shoulder width is 55", hip width is 44".
We have not made any bags in the 6'6" length yet, however here are our projected weights:
Palisade total weight 17.8oz., fill weight 9.6oz.
Sawatch total weight 24.8oz., fill weight 15.7oz.

Baffle height for the Palisade is 1.25", the Sawatch is 2.25"
Packed size for the Palisade is about 13" X 6.5", the Sawatch is 15" X 8""

Pricing on the long size quilts will be....?

Edited by bigfoot2 on 04/23/2010 21:53:43 MDT.