Forum Index » GEAR » The sadness of a a broken LT4

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
The sadness of a broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 15:45:50 MDT Print View

24 minutes into my hike yesterday with my brand-new LT4's, I was ascending a steep incline in the Catskills. I was using the poles to support myself as I attempted another step when both feet slid out from under me. As I fell forward, I tried to toss the LT4's clear so as not to land on them. I was successful with the right hand pole; not so with the left, the tip must've been stuck in mud or a tree root and stayed in my hand. I heard a crack, looked down, and saw my nice new pole snapped cleanly across a conveniently placed rock 3.5" below the handgrip. No fault of the poles; my twice-as-heavy BD Alpine CF's would certainly have snapped with the torque I applied when I fell.lt41
lt42

I kept going glumly, completing the last 12 miles of my hike with one pole.

I emailed GG this morning to see if they offer replacement shafts, though they don't advertise such on their website.

Anybody else break an LT4? If so, were you able to replace the shaft?

Edited by jrmacd on 04/18/2010 15:47:09 MDT.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
0_0 on 04/18/2010 15:49:12 MDT Print View

Honestly, seeing this gave me a really ugly feeling in my stomach...sorry to see this happen. I hope GG will be able to help you with a replacement section or pole. Goodluck!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"The sadness of a a broken LT4" on 04/18/2010 15:49:50 MDT Print View

Ouch! Sorry to see hear about your LT4 misfortune. That is the singularly unfortunate thing about those sweet GG LT4 carbon poles, their too dang pretty for their intended purpose. Best of luck finding a replacement shaft.

Edited by Eugeneius on 04/18/2010 15:50:59 MDT.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: The sadness of a broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 15:52:15 MDT Print View

Ouch! Sorry that happened.

I didn't check but I remember reading something about no warranties on these ultra lightweight poles. Perhaps GG mail you the appropriate section at a reasonable price. Can you let us know when you hear back from GG?

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Re: The sadness of a broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 16:05:45 MDT Print View

didn't check but I remember reading something about no warranties on these ultra lightweight poles.

I definitely don't expect a warranty replacement. I was all my fault, though an accident.

The only pole that could survive 175 lbs coming down on it from a standing height would be Travis' rebar poles, I imagine.

I appreciate the condolences. I was torn about replacing my BD poles, as I got them 2 years ago, 1 month before discovering BPL and the LT4s. I salivated over them for all that time, before finally breaking down and buying them as just about the last piece in my UL gear overhaul.

I'm just hoping GG have a spare shaft or two sitting around that they sell for whatever price they find fair. I had a really good experience dealing with Grant back when I bought my Gorilla, so I'm confident if it's possible, they'll make it happen. If not, I have some 'spare parts' for when I can afford to buy new ones.

I'm new to hiking on the East Coast, and I know people here use poles, but the trails here so far have been so rugged, with tree roots and rock traps hidden below leaf litter just looking to snap a UL pole like the LT4, I ended up carrying my remaining pole through a lot of the trickier sections.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm better off sticking more rugged poles(or at least cheaper ones)

Edited by jrmacd on 04/18/2010 16:06:45 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: The sadness of a broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 16:08:38 MDT Print View

James,
I don't know what your length requirements are for hiking or for shelter support but...

If the lower portion is not split very far you might be able to salvage it by carefully cutting off the damaged portion and gluing on a new handle.

It looks like you'd loose about 8" to 10", which might be workable.

Good luck.

And, yep, sorry about the mishap, but glad you didn't end up in the ER. Carbon fiber on the outside is way cheaper than titanium on the inside.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
rebar on 04/18/2010 16:23:10 MDT Print View

>The only pole that could survive 175 lbs coming down on it from a standing height would be Travis' rebar poles, I imagine.

Hahahahaha! I remember that thread. Thanks for making me laugh today! Although, I ended up bending one of those. I had to pry a 1/2 ton boulder loose so I could roll it into a stream to aid in crossing without getting wet. Then I used it to pole vault over a canyon.

Anyways, back to reality.....sorry to hear about your pole!

Jim MacDiarmid
(jrmacd) - MLife
Re: Re: The sadness of a broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 16:24:04 MDT Print View

Greg, thanks, that's really great idea. I'm not the most creative thinker, so you just made my day.

There's actually no split at all on the shaft; it was a totally clean break.

I just went and checked the what the max pole length would be on the broken pole, and it'd be 50" on the nose. I don't know how far into the handle the pole goes, but 50" is plenty for my shelters(Duomid in winter; only 1 pole required. BPL Nano for all else.)

For hiking, I usually set my poles between 44"-47" up to the full 50" on descent.

If GG can't sell me a replacement shaft, or I can't afford their price right away, replacing the handgrip would definitely work. I'm sure Grant would be happy to tell me how to remove the handle on the broken end so I can put it back on the other portion.

EDIT: I guess I should have read the LT4 manual on the GG website first, quote:

Repair/Replacement
Should you break a section of a pole, you can call us at 512-374-0133 and we’ll sell you a
replacement pole or part. Replacement grips and baskets can be purchased from our website at
http://www.gossamergear.com.

Edited by jrmacd on 04/18/2010 16:30:27 MDT.

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: The sadness of a broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 16:33:55 MDT Print View

Sad to hear. I don't have LT4 but have two other CF pairs. I've been really lucky. There have been a few times were I couldn't believe a pole did not snap. Don't get discouraged: snap happens to all of us in one way or another.

I wonder if Gorilla tape wrapped around a thin band of some material would be a workable repair.

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
Uh Huh! on 04/18/2010 16:35:11 MDT Print View

As a former cross country ski racer I'm all too familiar with the fragility of carbon fiber poles when lateral force is placed on them.

That's why I use aluminum hiking poles instead of CF poles. Yes, I still use CF poles for XC touring because they are SO ephemerally light that they float out behind me as I fully extend my arm. Plus no energy is wasted bending a 'glass pole but instead the energy goes directly to the track with a CF pole.

Eric

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: The sadness of a broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 16:36:24 MDT Print View

Could you glue it back together with a sleeve over it? Like when a tent pole breaks, you can slide the metal repair sleeve over the break. Maybe find a metal tube that fits over the shaft snugly and secure it with whatever glue would adhere to those materials.

John Quinn
(inspector8598) - M

Locale: Northeast
The Sadness Of A Broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 17:38:37 MDT Print View

James, I broke my LT3 pole in similar fashion to yours about 6 months ago. The break was very clean, no splitters. I felt that I could repair it. I took a 4" long wooden dowel and sanded it down to fit snugly into the interior of the shaft (2" up and 2" down). I put liquid "super glue" on the dowel and quickly slipped the broken sections onto the dowel. I then took a piece of black electrical tape and put one wrap around the seam. The pole felt extremely stable after the repair and only increased the weight of the pole 0.2oz. I have used the poles on numerous trips since then with no worries. John

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: The Sadness Of A Broken LT4 on 04/18/2010 17:53:37 MDT Print View

"I then took a piece of black electrical tape and put one wrap around the seam."

Or you can use leukotape instead. Dual purpose!

Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
LT4 on 04/18/2010 20:16:12 MDT Print View

I'm with Eric - those poles aren't worth the cost given the durability issues (not the first issue I have heard).

Peter Longobardi
(paintplongo) - F

Locale: Hopefully on the Trail
LT4's on 04/18/2010 20:48:03 MDT Print View

That's why I use Leki's that are made of aluminum/Ti that don't snap like a twig.

I'm sorry it broke, but can't say I'm surpised. I saw many snapped carbon poles on the AT last year.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: LT4's on 04/18/2010 20:53:20 MDT Print View

Oh, I don't know. Mine have been going strong for about a year now. I've used them to vault over water (putting all of my weight on them), they've broken my fall a few times, and I really use them hard when going uphill. Of course, I grip them rather loosely unless pushing uphill, so if they get stuck between rocks and such I let go long before they break. A learned habit, I guess. If mine break, I'll buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Peter Longobardi
(paintplongo) - F

Locale: Hopefully on the Trail
LT4's on 04/18/2010 20:58:41 MDT Print View

Well I'm sure most of them don't snap that quickly, but I saw several that were clear breaks, which is obviously since they're brittle when pushed too far.

My Leki's may get slight bends in them if pushed too far, but are still quite useful when bent. I have the same pair from 2005 that have literally thousands of miles on them.

The best part is if I bend a section, Leki sends me a new one for free.

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Re: Re: LT4's on 04/18/2010 21:09:15 MDT Print View

Doug - If mine break, I'll buy another pair in a heartbeat.

Wouldn't you just use your backup pair? :)

Edited by dandydan on 04/18/2010 21:09:45 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: LT4's on 04/18/2010 21:15:18 MDT Print View

"Wouldn't you just use your backup pair? :)"

Dan, well, of course! But then I'd need a new backup pair......

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: LT4 on 04/18/2010 21:29:34 MDT Print View

David:

I've had good experience with carbon fiber hiker poles thus far (both Ti Goat and LT4's) -- as have many others.

But as with all UL gear -- they have their place but they are not meant for all hikers or all types of hikes.

However, to just write off UL carbon fiber poles is akin to just writing off dyneema packs and silnylon tents.