Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
WM Flash vest sale
Display Avatars Sort By:
Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
WM Flash vest sale on 04/19/2010 20:43:06 MDT Print View

Learn something new, and PC, every day here on BPL.

James Patsalides
(james@patsalides.com) - MLife

Locale: New England
Ahem, gyp=gypsy... I don't think soooo... on 04/19/2010 21:00:54 MDT Print View

There are other "non-racist" theories on the origin of "gypped"... this is my favorite:
A 'gippo,' later shortened to 'gyp,' was a short jacket worn by the valets of Oxford undergraduates in the 17th century. The word 'gyp' this theory holds, was eventually applied to the servants themselves, who were often cheats and thieves. (from phrases.org.uk)

Be careful who you trust when it comes to the English language!

Thom Darrah
(thomdarrah) - MLife

Locale: Southern Oregon
WM Flash... on 04/19/2010 21:02:58 MDT Print View

There have been numerous posts on this thread from members that I like, respect and feel a comradery with in relation to all things UL.

This thread only reaffirms to me that we are each different and unique which is a good thing. How boring life would be if we were all the same.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"WM Flash vest sale" on 04/19/2010 21:19:02 MDT Print View

What's a flesh folk? That's new to me.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
Gyp--numerous derivations, not theories on 04/19/2010 21:59:42 MDT Print View

The noun "gyp" has the college derivation someone stated and is not related to gypsies in any way, but is derived from the greek word for "vulture." The verb "gyp" is derived from the noun gypsy, and is derogatory, meaning "to swindle." These are derivations confirmed by Merriam-Websters, not theories. In actuality, they are two completely different words with the same spelling and pronounciation.

Sean Walashek
(caraz) - F

Locale: bay area
clever choice of words on 04/19/2010 22:03:07 MDT Print View

I thought it was a very clever or unconscious choice of words or just a funny coincidence or just one of those things. Its a reference to the character Shylock (A jewish money lender) who makes a deal for a fiscal loan in exchange for a pound of flesh should the loan not be repaid on time. From Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice. I think it was a slight directed at me for being focused on the deal before the compassion of the exchange and my hard edge stance in these matters. Funny that it came right after talk of Jewish business practice's.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
re gyp on 04/19/2010 22:54:04 MDT Print View

Lots of wiold and unverified assumptions being made here guys. THE source for these sorts of discussions is the Oxford English Dictionary, being older than all the other modern ones (like MW).

gyp 3: Cheat, swindle [19th C perhaps from gyp1]

gyp 1: College servant at Cambridge and Oxford, (cf scout) [perhaps from obsolete gippo: scullion, originally man's short tunic, from obsolete French jupeau]

There is NO mention of 'gypsy' whatsoever here.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 04/19/2010 22:55:34 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
gyp vs. gyp on 04/19/2010 23:02:37 MDT Print View

Thanks James and Carol for the clarification on the noun form and verb form of the words 'gyp'! I stand completely corrected, Craig it seems your comment was technically completely acceptable. However, to be quite honest, I'm now completely confused on the true origin/version(s) of the word. For the sake of avoiding argument or offending anyone I'll just continue to not use the word in conversation. Language is fun.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: gyp on 04/19/2010 23:05:50 MDT Print View

"There is NO mention of 'gypsy' whatsoever here."

Even the word Gypsy is no longer politically correct. The people in question prefer to be called Roma. These people were called Gypsies because they were thought to originate from Egypt -- which turned out to be untrue. India was their original homeland.

Jeff Moody
(BigTiki) - F
Mistake on 04/19/2010 23:21:12 MDT Print View

"In summation Bill and Paul's made a mistake, albeit an understandable and forgivable mistake."

A mistake? Really? Get A grip!!

Nia Schmald
(nschmald) - MLife
Re: Re: "WM Flash vest sale" on 04/19/2010 23:58:56 MDT Print View

I wonder how the Bill and Paul's folks will feel about dealing with BPLers after reading this thread? Quite the intro to the BPL community.

cary bertoncini
(cbert) - F

Locale: N. California
I think it's "Romani," Ben on 04/20/2010 00:40:07 MDT Print View

but "Gypsy" refers to several different groups, not just Romani

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: I think it's "Romani," Ben on 04/20/2010 04:59:14 MDT Print View

What a weird thread.

James Patsalides
(james@patsalides.com) - MLife

Locale: New England
WM Flash vest sale on 04/20/2010 05:45:07 MDT Print View

LOL. Weird is about right!
Let us celebrate diversity in all its forms... happy trails, friends! :-)

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: WM Flash vest sale on 04/20/2010 09:18:02 MDT Print View

Moderator of BPL forums. It's not just a job, it's an adventure......