Forum Index » Gear Lists » 9lb base weight-- suggestions welcome

Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Gray
(ChrisFol) - F

Locale: Denver, Coloado
9lb base weight-- suggestions welcome on 04/15/2010 22:17:20 MDT Print View

When: 3 Seasons
Length: Min. of 3days

I currently have a baseweight of 9lbs and I am looking for suggestions on what you would get rid of from my gear list or what you would change.

There is a note section to my list.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtPFXdtIdI3pdHdQRTlsdHdkUk1qNFJuRlRJLXNramc&hl=en

Edited by ChrisFol on 04/15/2010 23:43:59 MDT.

Jeff M.
(Catalyst) - M

Locale: Costa Mesa, CA
Access is restricted on 04/15/2010 23:18:59 MDT Print View

Access to your spreadsheet appears to be restricted.

Chris Gray
(ChrisFol) - F

Now shared. on 04/15/2010 23:27:45 MDT Print View

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0AtPFXdtIdI3pdHdQRTlsdHdkUk1qNFJuRlRJLXNramc&hl=en

John Addleman
(Jaddleman) - F

Locale: Boulder
You're getting there! on 04/16/2010 00:12:53 MDT Print View

Not too many things that could be left at home outright, good job!

Working from the top:
-Do you need the size of a G4? Carrying a down bag and a tarp, you should be able to downsize your pack to a ~10 oz one. -6oz
-There are lighter pack liners out there (BPL, MLD) -1.6oz
-Can you use your sleeping bag stuff sack to hang food? -1.7oz
-IMO, bringing a bivy should be a trip-by-trip decision based on whether you expect lots of bugs and long duration rains, IME, the CO Rockies have neither. -5.8oz
-Obviously, you could shave a couple ounces off by switching stakes. I think that's more a personal preference thing. -1.5oz
-You could trim ounces from your ridgerest. Again, preference. -3oz?
-You probably just need a MiniDrop of Doc Bron's -1.5oz
-Your rain coat is HEAVY (-5oz) and do you really need rain pants? I'm bringing some, but as my only pants (hike in running shorts). You could probably do without or with windpants instead. -4oz
-You could find a wind shirt that's half the weight. -2.5oz

If you did everything, you could save a solid 2 pounds. Good luck!

Edited by Jaddleman on 04/16/2010 00:16:44 MDT.

Chris Gray
(ChrisFol) - F

Re: You're getting there! on 04/16/2010 00:38:27 MDT Print View

John,

- No I do not need the volume of the G4, but it is what I have. Any suggestions as to pack recomendations?

- Pack liners. Never thought of an MLD Liner, but for $5, consider it done.

- I don't use a stuff sack for my sleeping bag-- it just goes straight into my pack. Hence the separate food sack.

- The CO Rockies is dependant on where you go. Just last July I was at the Eddiesville Trailhead and was bit five times on the same leg while unloading my pack from the car. As for long duration of rain-- it is the Rockies! I have spent 13 days here with none-stop rain!
At lowerer elevation my biviy is gone.

- Stakes are beefy, I will switch.

- Not trimming the Ridgerest to the shape of my bivy.

- Dr. Bonners is picky-- I could switch to a lower amount-- not a big deal.

- Rain coat is heavy I will admit. I did have a Marmot Precip up until this year-- but with an Eddie Bauer Christmas gift card, their Friend's reward and the outwear sale I got the jacket for $30-- only Dri-ducks compare in price and I know what I would rather have!

- Rainpants can be dropped-- I don't care, short or MH Mesa dry quickly. Consider them nixed.

- The Marmot Ion is only heavy because it is an XL. A medium Golite Wisp is 3oz. There isn't much that I can save.

John Addleman
(Jaddleman) - F

Locale: Boulder
Re: Re: You're getting there! on 04/16/2010 00:55:43 MDT Print View

As for packs, I've been looking at the GG Miniposa (OOS), the MLD Burn (smallish), and the zpacks blast26 (OOS but way light!). I think I'm going to MYOG though, modifying either the GG G4 Scout or the 5yardstoSUL (BPL Article) pattern.

I guess I have just had good luck hiking in the Rockies. Never had any problems with bugs or rain myself, but I've only been on a couple trips.

You could probably carry less Deet and sunscreen too.

I understand cost being a factor for rainwear. FWIW, I just got a new Marmot Mica for $90 shipped off ebay, and I believe there's an XL Essence on right now.

Sounds like you should be able to cut about a pound, at least. Got any trips planned yet?

Edited by Jaddleman on 04/16/2010 01:16:29 MDT.

James Byrnes
(backfeets1) - M

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri
suggestions.. on 04/16/2010 01:03:10 MDT Print View

A regular pack sized trash bag weights .5 oz save 2oz.
use lip balm with SPF 20-30 save 1.7 oz (just back of hands and face)(if pants worn:0)
7" Ti stakes hold almost as well as Easton 1.5 for 4 save 1.5 oz.
Heavy rain jacket get 7oz and save 6oz.
TOTAL about 11.2 oz
Good list!

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
nice list on 04/16/2010 10:01:14 MDT Print View

Nice list!

You say you need the knife for cleaning fish, but I don't see any fishing gear?

In the Colorado rockies, you won't need 4 liters of water. Just carry ix 2L bottle. You'll be fine. I've done 30 days with just a 1.8L platy.

Sunscreen, Dr. B's and DEET come in at 2oz each, and that is a lot for 3 days, you could repackage them into something smaller. 1 oz (or less) for each is plenty.

The trash COMPACTOR bag is a bombproof tool. Yes - You could save almost 2 oz by switching to a thiner bag, but the chance of poking a hole (an loosing the waterproofing) is high. If you are careful, it should be fine.

Chris Gray
(ChrisFol) - F

RE: Comments on 04/16/2010 11:55:28 MDT Print View

Thanks guys for the input.

John-- I will definately look into a smaller pack. As for trips, the only two planned so far will be down on the Cochetopa Hills in the La Gartia wilderness area. For the second I will be taking my brother-in-law and his wife on their first backpacking trip and with deciding to keep it close we're just heading to Lost Creek wilderness area.

James-- Good tip on the lip balm. I will see how that one goes.

Mike-- I just didn't list my fishing gear. I have a seperate spreadsheet. Fishing gear (Rod, Reel, Flybox, Lanyard, License and MYOG rod case) totals 17.9oz.

The only thing that I would change is leaving the lanyard at home; instead, stuffing the items into my pockets when I fish, but for me, the convience of the lanyard trumps the 2oz of weight I would save.

You are right; I will just leave the 2nd Platy at home, the only time I use it is when my wife and dog come along. The rest of the time it stays folded up in the pack.

I could just use a smaller of amount of Sunscreen, Deet and Dr. B's-- I never use it all on shorter trips, but on longer trips I do come close and when my wife comes, I just fill up the entire 1oz bottle.