Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » Ultra-Light Fishing Waders

Display Avatars Sort By:
Jonathan Worthington
(Jonnyw) - F
Ultra-Light Fishing Waders on 04/15/2010 12:53:55 MDT Print View

So I'm planning a backpacking/fishing weekend with the guys in Kernville taking the Rincon Trail. I thinking of purchasing a begginer fly rod and giving it a go on the beautiful kern river but I think(correct me if I'm wrong) that it's almost a necessity to be standing in the river to be able to fly fish properly. If this is true, I'll be needing waders due to the frigid water temps. Does anyone have suggestions of "light" wader options? I was thinking about using my wetsuit booties and using the bottom portion of an old wetsuit I have as an ultralight option. Yes, I know it may look a little strange, but it will allow for good memories and plenty of opportunities for the guys rib me. Oh..and it will keep my bottom portion warm...er

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
light waders on 04/15/2010 15:39:52 MDT Print View

Bring wetsuit booties (neo socks) and a warm vest and hat to wear. So long as your feet and core stay warm cold legs matter not.

That said, for day hiking and flyfishing I've brought along my Neos trekker overshoes, which are waterproof to the knee and work well.

Mark Andersen
(MarkA) - F
Waders on 04/16/2010 11:49:40 MDT Print View

If you're into MYOG, you could put together something from heat-sealable nylon. I have considered doing something similar, and there was a post about this here somewhere.

For most backcountry fishing, I don't take waders. Most of the streams I fish in the backcountry are small enough to be fished easily from shore, or, at worst, by rock-hopping or wet-wading to get to where you need to be. The key for me is the temperature of the water. Some mountain streams are so cold even in mid to late summer that wet-wading isn't a good option. If the water is reasonably warm, though, I'd save the weight and not bring waders.

The 5 or 7 piece stowaway fly rods from Cabela's are actually pretty good--especially for the price. I have an 8'6" 4-wt that I use for most of my fishing on small streams, even when I'm not packing in a distance. It's very light.

David Goodyear
(dmgoody) - MLife

Locale: mid-west
waderrs? on 04/21/2010 05:45:20 MDT Print View

I agree with David. There are only two reasons to bring waders - to stay dry or warm.

I assume staying dry is not a major concern, unless there is no way to get dry after fishing.

Staying warm and walking the river would be your next concern. I have used a neoprene bootie and a pair of sandals to fish in many rivers. I have to get out a few times to warm myself, but I do not usually fish the same spot for very long and the trip up the river will warm me just fine.

I use neoprene socks from chota and a wading sandal from bite or keen. They also double as my camp shoes to save weight.

Good luck,

Fish on

Dave

Mike Philip
(mphilip) - F
wiggys waders on 04/23/2010 14:43:56 MDT Print View

these would probably fit the bill...just get a pair of overshoes so you dont wear out the bottoms.

http://lathropandsons.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/25/products_id/49

Regards,

Mike