Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Good food!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Chris Higbee
(chigbee) - F
Good food! on 04/14/2010 11:48:23 MDT Print View

So I am in need of some good food advice. I have always gone the lazy way and just got dehydrated meals, but I just can't handle them anymore. I am headed down to Grand Gulch (So. Utah) for 2 nights and am in need of good tasting meal ideas. I am thinking Fajitas for the first night, but am open to suggestions for the other dinner and breakfast. What do you guys do?

ps: no fires allowed, other than on the stove.

Jay Wilkerson
(Creachen) - MLife

Locale: East Bay
Good food is easy food on 04/14/2010 12:05:16 MDT Print View

Pre-maid Hoagies will last a day are two- Cheese and crackers goes a long way...
Apples and Oranges
Mini carrots and tiny tomatoes with hummus
Snickers,Little Debbie's
Tortillas with tuna packets plus mild salsa
Almonds, dried mangoes
Scrambled eggs with trout!!!!!!!!

2 cents worth

Edited by Creachen on 04/14/2010 12:05:46 MDT.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Good food! on 04/14/2010 12:05:41 MDT Print View

For the first night's meal (since water weight is high), check out some of the pre-cooked Indian foods, such as those by "Tasty Bites." It is the freshest tasting non-fresh food I've ever used, while they are even easier and quicker to cook than freezer bag meals. My suggestion is to use the hot water to cook the thinnest rice or bean-thread noodles you can find (usually takes less than 2 minutes) and combine them with Tasty Bite's Jaipur Vegetables.

Click on the photo for a link to the product (no affiliation):

Jaipur Veggies

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: Re: Good food! on 04/14/2010 13:55:04 MDT Print View

I think the Jaipur is the least tasty of the "tasty".
you may like the Madras Lentils or the Bombay Potatoes more but this is just my opinion.

i found a brand of Vegatable chips made by Terra, fried in olive oil, 150 calories per ounce (and likely better FOR you than pringles)
Dip these in lemon/cilantro hummus and melt away...

couscous with baby sweet peppers, shallots, red pep. flakes, lemon zest and chicken buillion is an easy, freezer bag meal packed with proteins and calories. you can add chicken or other meat and a bit of olive oil for more.

peanut butter: dip in carrots, celery, chips, bread or whatever.. high calorie, nutritional.

add a Koka Moka Probar for dessert, youve just gobbled about 1,000 calories.
Enjoy!

Edited by mikeinfhaz on 04/20/2010 17:36:58 MDT.

JOHN ZENNER
(johnz)

Locale: East Bay
Tasty Bites, low calories on 04/14/2010 14:17:11 MDT Print View

Tasty bites sure looked good, but the calories per ounce were SUPER low. 3.5 ounce serving sizes at 100 to 180 calories total ... hard to believe it could actuall be that low.

http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=2105673&prrfnbr=2731345&pcgrfnbr=2717584

Edited by johnz on 04/14/2010 14:19:38 MDT.

Del Johnston
(deljohnston) - F

Locale: Heart of Dixie
Question about the Tasty meals... on 04/14/2010 16:10:19 MDT Print View

Aaron & Te-Wa, which method of preparing these do you use. I love the simplicity of freezer bag cooking. Do you prepare them by boiling the bags in your pot and then eat them from their packages or other bowl? It sounds like doing them the traditional freezer bag way would not work as the liquid is already in them. Correct? I love Indian and this sounds like a great way to enjoy it on the trail.

Chris, a great site for finding out about freezer bag cooking is www.trailcooking.com. Easy to make your own recipes to your liking. Good food, no mess and no cleanup. WINNER!

Kate Hoch
(digibling) - F

Locale: Pennsylvania
tasty bites on 04/15/2010 10:36:57 MDT Print View

A bit more work, but I've also had good success with dehydrating the Tasty Bites meals. Throw that in a ziploc with some instant rice and it's a nice freezer bag cooking meal.

te - wa
(mikeinfhaz) - F

Locale: Phoenix
Re: tasty bites on 04/20/2010 17:35:47 MDT Print View

i ate them cold, from the foil pouch. you could heat the meal in a pot, with available water source for cleaning. or, a few paper towels (which you would then use as a firestarter)

fresh and easy has the tasty bites meals for $2.30
iirc... and FnE has great pita to go with it!