Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Know any good games?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Know any good games? on 04/13/2010 17:51:29 MDT Print View

Care to share any fun games that you play on the trail? My family enjoys playing games and It would help them during zero days in camp. Maybe a game that can be played in the tent using pebbles and leaves? Or perhaps a "field" game that has teams and all?

Dan Durston
(dandydan)

Locale: Cascadia
Games on 04/13/2010 18:11:57 MDT Print View

Here you go! This should keep you guys busy for several days.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30901

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Locale: Western Massachusetts
Games! on 04/13/2010 18:49:55 MDT Print View

We have a 2.5 oz magnetic version of Scrabble that we'll take now and then. We only use it on short mileage days or when it's rainy, though, so we've learned to leave it behind on some trips. That said, it's about as much game as you could possibly want for the weight!

A more recent and exciting find was the game Cosmic Wimpout. My mom bought it for us for Christmas because she thought it'd be great for backpacking. I haven't weighed it (sorry!), but it can't be more than 1.5 oz. It consists of 5 small dice in a plastic tube and is a ton of fun. We haven't taken it backpacking, but it should be great because it's easy, light, and there are no small pieces to lose (unlike the magnetic travel scrabble.)

Aside from that, sometimes we'll play some mental games like six-degrees of separation with movie stars, 20 questions, etc.

Beau Beveridge
(Roadtorque) - F
games on 04/13/2010 19:18:07 MDT Print View

You could easily draw a chess/checkers board (or any other board game) on the back of your sleeping pad and use rocks, leaves, pine cones or any other objects as pieces.

You could take some extra rope and have the kids try to lasso something.

You could hang an empty pack from a tree and try to toss pine cones into it playing any variety of basketball games.

A stick and pine cones give you a baseball game.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Truly UL games on 04/13/2010 20:26:20 MDT Print View

How about playing follow the leader rock hopping up/down streams or talus slopes? We used to do it for miles/hours and never got tired of it. Or rock skipping contests? Or placing a bear bagging rope? Fewest tosses wins. Point being the props are all right there; no need to bring anything extra from the front country.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

UL games on 04/13/2010 21:47:43 MDT Print View

Keep em coming. Especially those that can be played at night or in the tent. One that my 8 year old thought of just now for around the campfire, she enjoys Mancala. we can just dig little holes in the ground and place pebbles in them, UL version of Mancala. it's a great game for youngsters. Only good for use in highly impacted sites of course.

Nate Davis
(Knaight) - F

Locale: Western Massachusetts
Now you've got me thinking... on 04/13/2010 22:03:32 MDT Print View

No weight:

Pick-up sticks
Thumb wrestling
Shadow puppets on tent walls
Rock, Paper, Scissors
20 questions

Minimal weight:

Pen and paper games (hangman, tic tac toe, etc)
Knot tying (not a game, but a fun family learning activity. Just bring a photocopied sheet of paper with a couple of knots on it)

And seriously, check out Cosmic Wimpout. It's less than $5 on Amazon and weighs nothing. Plus, you'll have dice with you so you can spend some quality time teaching your kids Craps too!

http://www.amazon.com/Cosmic-Wimpout-101-Dice-Game/dp/B000F9WKX6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1271217041&sr=8-1

Edit: Just got off my butt and weighed the thing. 1.3 oz for the complete set including case and instructions. 1.0 oz for just the dice (which is all you really need). $5 for an ounce that's worth hours of entertainment? This should be a staple in all of our backpacks!

Edited by Knaight on 04/13/2010 22:17:43 MDT.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Games on 04/13/2010 23:27:38 MDT Print View

So this Cosmic Wimpout. i checked the game out online and it seems interesting, been around for 20 years or something like that. Could be fun, i'm gonna give it a go.

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
Know any good games? on 04/13/2010 23:41:10 MDT Print View

Get one of the tiny Farkle games.

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Know any good games?" on 04/14/2010 00:06:24 MDT Print View

Balsa wood dominoes - 1 ounce.....

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: "Know any good games?" on 04/14/2010 08:26:08 MDT Print View

Chess!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ross Williams
(xavi1337) - F

Locale: Korea
Re: "Know any good games?" on 04/14/2010 08:53:35 MDT Print View

Cheek darts: Squeeze a small object, such as a penny, between your butt cheeks. Walk 4 meters and drop the object in a bowl or mug. Vary the size of the bowl, require drops from larger distance, and go for speed records.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Excellent on 04/14/2010 10:39:58 MDT Print View

Thanks guys, I'm going to collect some of these games and mix them in with some of the zero-weight games suggested to keep things interesting. I dont play games much except board games with them so I just forget what's out there and what kids like to play. Balsa wood dominoes, i like that too. And there are probably a whole variety of games that can be played with dice, that's worth looking into.

One question about Cheek Darts though. You mention varying the distance of the target. As the target gets farther away I'm assuming we'll need to prepare for the game by eating the proper food, like bean burritos or something like that?

Thanks everyone!

Jon Hancock
(bigjackbrass)

Locale: Northwest England
Sherpa on 04/14/2010 15:14:41 MDT Print View

For something a little different you might try Sherpa, a role-playing game designed specifically for playing outdoors and even while hiking. More information can be found over on the author's website: http://www.panix.com/~sos/rpg/sherpa.html

Edited by bigjackbrass on 04/14/2010 15:16:22 MDT.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: Sherpa on 04/14/2010 15:17:53 MDT Print View

Here is a link to Sherpa.

JOHN ZENNER
(johnz)

Locale: East Bay
Fish on 04/14/2010 15:29:04 MDT Print View

Poke the trout in the lip game...

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Trying not to fish.. on 04/14/2010 15:39:15 MDT Print View

I find that if I start fishing, daddy disappears alot and kids wonder how this qualifies as family time. BPing is supposed to be something to keep me from falling off the wagon again and going on a flyfishing binge. The way my wife looks at me when I'm going on yet another BP trip tells me that it has backfired a bit. :)

Anyway, I'm especially digging the small games that can be played at night around the campfire or in the tent. I'm thinking specifically of my kids, so role playing games dont work as well because everyone is on different levels intellectually. Games like Farkle are mostly luck, then when they have trouble with the strategy part daddy can just help out a bit.

JOHN ZENNER
(johnz)

Locale: East Bay
merged agendas on 04/14/2010 15:53:51 MDT Print View

I'm a fishaholic as well, but backpacking tends to meet everyones needs pretty well. My kids will fish with me for about five minutes and then go off exploring on their own which is really what they want to do anyways and this tends to be the one place (great outdoors) where as long as I can see or hear them I don't worry too much about them (as opposed to in the city, near Oakland...)!

We do bring a set of "micro" cards, and those get used quite a bit too.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Farkle was a hit! on 04/20/2010 16:09:06 MDT Print View

I took some dice. Farkle was alot of fun and was perfect for playing in the tent after dark. My daughter especially liked that everytime daddy messed up she got to yell "you farkled! ha ha you farkled! you're a farkle head!" and other such nonsense like that. She thought it was a very funny word and used it liberally. We also played 1-2-24 which also requires 6 dice. thanks for your help everybody!

joseph peterson
(sparky) - F

Locale: Southern California
games on 04/21/2010 22:50:04 MDT Print View

Here is a game you can play. It is a strange game. You can play it solo, or with friends. If you play it once, you will play it every minute of every day for the rest of your life. You can never stop playing the game. There is only one rule to the game, if you think about the game, you lose!

Oops I just lost arrrrg