Longtail Cargo Bicycles
Display Avatars Sort By:
Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Locale: Gallatin Range
Longtail Cargo Bicycles on 04/13/2010 09:48:37 MDT Print View

I am building a longtail cargo bicycle mostly to be used for around-town hauling but the concept is very common is touring (aka Surly's Big Dummy).

Longtail Cargo Bicycle

I built this bicycle from a 26" mtb frame up front, top tubes cannabilized from another 26" mtb and then a 20" kids mtb for the rear triangle. The iteration pictured is currently single-speed (for testing).

Future work includes designing and building a rack, installing an internally-geared rear hub, and adding disc brakes. Also, reinforcing material needs to be added to the seat tube.

Edited by sharalds on 04/13/2010 09:51:16 MDT.

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
When Sam rolls along, he rolls a long. on 04/13/2010 14:07:11 MDT Print View

Fun.

I enjoyed your links to the the cargo bikes in your blog ways back. I'll enjoy seeing this beast take shape, and how you'll choose to have it carry your loads.

Roll on, Ultralighter.

Edited by Steamboat_Willie on 04/13/2010 14:07:43 MDT.

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Longtail Cargo Bicycles on 04/13/2010 18:16:55 MDT Print View

Very nice. No problems with the chain hopping without a tensioner to give it better wrap on the cog?

You know, this is your opportunity to be the first person in recorded history to post photos of a wheelie on a long tail. Physics says you can't but who asked physics?

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Longtail Cargo Bicycles on 04/14/2010 13:44:18 MDT Print View

Don, the bicycle is currently set-up as a single speed just to see how the frame rides and feels so there is a little bit of chain-slap. I'll be putting in a tensioner if I deem it necessary down the road as I delve deeper into the drive train and componentry of the cycle. For now I'm focusing on frame and cargo design.

And I'll see what I can do about getting a wheelie down on it for you... yeah right!

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
wheelies on 04/15/2010 08:36:56 MDT Print View

Here you go folks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BktHUg_8uMY

Sam, that frame looks ghettofabulous!

Morgan Rucks
(rucksmtr) - F
bike peddler on 04/15/2010 12:21:55 MDT Print View

thats my local bike shop
rad

Sam Haraldson
(sharalds) - MLife

Longtail Cargo Bicycles on 04/15/2010 14:36:38 MDT Print View

My buddy wass telling me a story the other day that went like this:

"So I'm at my office which has a window overlooking Mendenhall Street and I get a call. On the line is Matt who says to me, 'look out the window'. Still talking to him on the phone I look out the window and see him wheelie'ing his Kona Ute longbike down the street with one hand while talking to me on his cell phone in the other."

The video Dave linked to above is proof in the pudding I guess!