Forum Index » Chaff » It's great to have a great woman...

Display Avatars Sort By:
Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
It's great to have a great woman... on 04/11/2010 21:01:32 MDT Print View

..or man, or whoever you're with.

I offhandedly mentioned to my wife tonight that I'd love to walk the JMT again one of these days.

To which she replied "So go this summer."

"But I'd like to do it in 10-12 days...That's a lot to ask of you with the kids. You're really up for it?" I replied

"Sure, why not? Do it, you're already on vacation."

I think I'll do a little dance right now.

I originally planned on going to the Sierra for a mellow 5 day...I didn't want to put out my family for anything longer this year.

Why Not!

Looks like I'll be joining the NOBO class for 2010 in early July! I might skip the first 50 miles and enter at Kearsarge Pass to make permitting easier (I'm concerned it's a bit late), but I'll exit Happy Isles from there...

Edited by xnomanx on 04/11/2010 21:02:08 MDT.

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
It's great to have a great woman... on 04/11/2010 21:08:08 MDT Print View

Does she have a sister?

Joe Clement
(skinewmexico) - MLife

Locale: Southwest
It's great to have a great woman... on 04/11/2010 22:05:36 MDT Print View

We have a name for that at my house Craig. It's a Trap!!! Not really, my wife has always been pretty good about that. Better than I deserve.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/11/2010 22:16:47 MDT Print View

I don't get it. What's so great about a woman who doesn't miss not having you around?

(heh heh)

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
It's great to have a great woman... on 04/11/2010 22:22:33 MDT Print View

Ben It's not that they don't miss you. They trust you enough to take off the leash.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/11/2010 23:45:39 MDT Print View

In my house, permission is called a "Kitchen Pass." Passes have to be earned by good behavior and paying attention to the Honey-Do List. More importantly, one has to live according to the Happy Bliss Rule Book. Only problem is that the Happly Bliss Rule Book has not been published. It resides in the nooks and crannies of the wife's brain, and the rules are subject to change, based on whim.

That being said, I wouldn't trade my wife for the world.

Jeff Antig
(Antig)

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/12/2010 02:26:23 MDT Print View

whennn a mannnn loves a womannnn

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/12/2010 10:33:16 MDT Print View

Nick -- Read up on the Stockholm Syndrome.

(J/k of course. I think a whopping majority of us human beings will be very unhappy without a mate).

Edited by ben2world on 04/12/2010 12:22:41 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/12/2010 15:48:34 MDT Print View

Nothing great about that in my eyes. She may just be glad to have a break from you (which is perfectly healthy too). Now, a woman who responds with "sure, I'd love to walk the JMT with you this summer" would be priceless (I can say that because I am such a woman) :)

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest/Sierra
Re: Re: Re: Mutual support on 04/12/2010 18:24:55 MDT Print View

In my relationship, we both do our best to help the other be who they are and realize their dreams. In my case that means being gone for 10 days or so at a time, and my wife has been very supportive. Like Nick said, "I wouldn't trade her for the world".

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/12/2010 19:02:06 MDT Print View

Not about being perfect - either of you - but about being perfect together. For instance...

From the movie Good Will Hunting

Sean speaking to Will:

And when I think about her, those
are the things I think about most.
Little idiosyncrasies that only I
knew about. Those made her my wife.
And she had the goods on me too.
Little things I do out of habit.
People call these things imperfections
Will. It's just who we are. And we
get to choose who we're going to let
into out weird little worlds. You're
not perfect. And let me save you the
suspense, this girl you met isn't
either. The question is, whether or
not you're perfect for each other.
You can know everything in the world,
but the only way you're findin' that
one out is by giving it a shot. You
sure won't get the answer from an
old f__ker like me. And even if I
did know, I wouldn't tell you.

CLIP FROM MOVIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tXYn2siblA

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/12/2010 21:13:21 MDT Print View

"Nothing great about that in my eyes."

Well aren't you just a bundle of sunshine!

"Now, a woman who responds with "sure, I'd love to walk the JMT with you this summer" would be priceless (I can say that because I am such a woman) :)"

...and SO humble!

Edited by xnomanx on 04/12/2010 21:16:41 MDT.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/13/2010 14:50:57 MDT Print View

I was being tongue and cheek :)

But what I meant was that I don't have family commitments at home, that my husband leaves me to deal with while he goes off and has great adventures. It's not about being humble or arrogant, it's about the choices we make in life (those of us that are free to make choices). I chose someone who shares my passion for outdoor activities and would never think to leave me at home.

Now, a great MAN would be one who says "sure beloved, I'll stay home and look after the kids while you go hiking with your girl friends ;)

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/13/2010 15:04:32 MDT Print View

"Now, a great MAN would be one who says "sure beloved, I'll stay home and look after the kids while you go hiking with your girl friends."

Perhaps, but even greater are the man and woman who could have hiked farther and faster but chose instead to haul twice the gear to cover half the distance -- just so they can share the joy with their kids.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/13/2010 15:33:39 MDT Print View

" but even greater are the man and woman who could have hiked farther and faster but chose instead to haul twice the gear to cover half the distance -- just so they can share the joy with their kids."

Absolutely. If both partners enjoy outdoor activity, then it would be cruel for one of them to waltz off and leave the other at home with the kids. Of course, for many men I'm guessing that a "good woman" is one is is NOT interested in sharing his outdoor man-time, and is very happy to stay at home with the kids. It all depends on what's important in your life, and as long as everyone is happy, then who cares??

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
If both enjoy ... on 04/13/2010 16:04:07 MDT Print View

> If both enjoy ...
Meiringen, Sherlock Holmes 7412
Meiringen, Switzerland, centre of much Sherlock Holmes worship. (Reichenbach Falls are nearby.)

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 04/13/2010 16:04:47 MDT.

Ed Engel
(Doorknob) - F

Locale: West of what you think is west
Re: Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/13/2010 16:27:48 MDT Print View

My wife and I take separate vacations every year. I go backpacking for weeks and she goes to the mainland and spends time with her girlfriends. Works great for us.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/13/2010 17:14:08 MDT Print View

"If both partners enjoy outdoor activity, then it would be cruel for one of them to waltz off and leave the other at home with the kids. Of course, for many men I'm guessing that a "good woman" is one is is NOT interested in sharing his outdoor man-time, and is very happy to stay at home with the kids. It all depends on what's important in your life, and as long as everyone is happy, then who cares??"

Doesn't the last sentence of this statement completely negate everything else you've written in this entire thread?

Every relationship is unique and I vote that we let them stay that way.

Fascinating: I simply praise my wife and our relationship in the original post; this was the last thread on Earth that I ever thought would start a debate.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/13/2010 17:18:46 MDT Print View

"Well aren't you just a bundle of sunshine! ...and SO humble!"

The complete package.

Tom Kirchner
(ouzel) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: It's great to have a great woman... on 04/13/2010 17:22:22 MDT Print View

"Fascinating: I simply praise my wife and our relationship in the original post; this was the last thread on Earth that I ever thought would start a debate."

Haven't you learned by now that you can't start a thread in Chaff without triggering a debate? ;-)