Forum Index » GEAR » Will bugs bite through a Montane Lite Speed Wind Shirt?

Display Avatars Sort By:
Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Will bugs bite through a Montane Lite Speed Wind Shirt? on 05/20/2006 10:42:26 MDT Print View

Will this wind shirt material (PERTEX® Microlight), worn over bare skin, prevent mosquitoes, flies, white sox, and no-see-ums from biting my torso?

Last year I treated it with Permethrin and I didn't get any torso bites. Unfortunately Permethrin cut the water resistance in about half. This year I would like to retreat it with DWR only but, not if the bugs will bite through it.

kevin davidson
(kdesign) - F

Locale: Mythical State of Jefferson
Biting thru windshirts on 05/20/2006 10:53:55 MDT Print View

If the windshirt is sufficiently tight (say, when bending an arm or such) mosquitos can bite through. A w.s. will provide some protection. For real bug pro I use permethrin prepped baselayers and sox and apply DEET if I have to, to exposed skin.

Mark Larson
(mlarson) - MLife

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: Biting thru windshirts on 05/20/2006 12:08:20 MDT Print View

Using Microlight fabric, I've only had bites go through as Davidson mentioned--stretched over the tip of a bent elbow, over the shoulders/traps area while snoozing, or similar. I find the fit of my Featherlite is generally loose enough to prevent those bites with a little mindfulness.
-Mark

Edited by mlarson on 05/20/2006 12:08:51 MDT.