Timo Anttalainen
(timoa)

Locale: Finland, Espoo
Waterproofing bic mini lighter (video) on 04/11/2010 06:14:25 MDT Print View

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIhGuPOygSg

Rick Dreher
(halfturbo) - MLife

Locale: Northernish California
Re: Waterproofing bic mini lighter (video) on 04/11/2010 11:44:26 MDT Print View

Robust and so simple. Thanks Timo!

Cheers,

Rick

Roger B
(rogerb) - MLife

Locale: Here and there
Re: Waterproofing bic mini lighter (video) on 04/11/2010 12:39:33 MDT Print View

Great video Timo, and I love the music, Finnish band?

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
Mini Bic on 04/11/2010 13:31:29 MDT Print View

Seems like a good idea for a backup lighter.

Timo Anttalainen
(timoa)

Backup on 04/12/2010 11:15:54 MDT Print View

"Great video Timo, and I love the music, Finnish band?"
I dont know.. Music was in youtube.

Normally i have 2 lighters. I tape other so it's waterproof and clean if i need it.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Even Simpler!! on 04/12/2010 11:45:17 MDT Print View

nm.

Edited by ben2world on 04/12/2010 12:16:16 MDT.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Waterproofing bic mini lighter (video) on 04/12/2010 11:50:49 MDT Print View

The type of accident that would get my lighter wet, is the type of accident that would leave me soaking, and potentially in need of a fire fast.

I would not want to trust my ability to dry out a lighter quickly under those circumstances. I know from experience with lighters that I do not have the skills to revive a wet lighter in any reasonable amount of time.

For almost no weight, this tape trick is pretty sweet.

Mike McHenry
(mtmche2) - F
Steel and flint on 04/12/2010 12:00:10 MDT Print View

I like to carry a steel and flint backup as it is 100% fool proof. If you can dodge a wrench you can strike a flint.

I was under the impression that if a Bic got wet it would still work. Seems like more hassle than what its really worth.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Steel and flint on 04/12/2010 12:19:17 MDT Print View

I have deleted my post above.

It's good to experiment firsthand. The first time, I dunked my BIC lighter into a full cup of water for one full minute -- without any tape. After a few quick wipes, it worked as if nothing had happened.

But after dunking for a full 30 minutes, the lighter no longer works. While I expect it will work again after the inside is all dried out -- that's not acceptable in the field.

The tape method is simple enough to use. Thanks, Timo.

Edited by ben2world on 04/12/2010 12:21:20 MDT.

Timo Anttalainen
(timoa)

Bic mini on 04/12/2010 12:30:54 MDT Print View

I make a test. I put my lighter in water and test it. Not working. I shake it and dry it, not working. 30 min in my pants pocket, hahaa it's working!!!

I have use same backup lighter every trips. Tape also secure button, so it's always full and dry.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
Mike McHenry on 04/12/2010 12:41:54 MDT Print View

" If you can dodge a wrench you can strike a flint."

Who is throwing wrenches at you? You should probably deal with that first before worrying about fire sources.

Craig W.
(xnomanx) - F - M
Re: Mike McHenry on 04/12/2010 13:41:35 MDT Print View

Really small balloons seem much easier than this tape method- just find the smallest one you can and roll it over the top and 3/4 down the Bic. And you can reuse it rather than look for more tape.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Waterproofing bic mini lighter on 04/12/2010 14:50:24 MDT Print View

Good suggestion Craig. Lighter condom. Like the reusable aspect.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Waterproofing bic mini lighter on 04/12/2010 23:51:20 MDT Print View

Wow Craig, thats actually really brilliant...one of those "why the hell did i not think of that!?" moments. From now on, my lighter will always be wearing protection.

Mike McHenry
(mtmche2) - F
Re: Mike McHenry on 04/13/2010 03:54:17 MDT Print View

" If you can dodge a wrench you can strike a flint."

Who is throwing wrenches at you? You should probably deal with that first before worrying about fire sources.

haha, have you seen "Dodgeball"? Ironically the guy ends up getting nailed with a wrench, so maybe he wouldn't be too great at getting fire started.

Jeffrey Kuchera
(frankenfeet)

Locale: Great Lakes
Smashingly good idea. on 04/13/2010 23:47:09 MDT Print View

Craig lighter rain coat is a smashing good idea. Ditto on what Konrad said about it. The tape thing isn't too shabby either, but I like the idea of being able to secure a lighter use it and then secure it again via condom method. Lighter rain jacket therefore wins.

Edited by frankenfeet on 04/14/2010 00:32:51 MDT.

James Byrnes
(backfeets1) - M

Locale: Midwest.... Missouri
waterproofing bic on 04/14/2010 00:30:58 MDT Print View

You can buy finger cots in the first aid section of any pharmacy that would probably work. (small balloon like, used to waterproof finger cuts).