Forum Index » Chaff » iPad

Display Avatars Sort By:
Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Gen 2 on 04/11/2010 09:37:20 MDT Print View

I'm having a very difficult time not buying Gen 1. I really want one. Must stay strong! :D

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Gen 2 on 04/11/2010 09:48:18 MDT Print View

Imagine how disappointed you would be now if you had snatched the earliest iPhone! Beaucoup expensive with a lot less features compared to the versions that came soon after.

You can also try diverting your attention to thinking about where to go / what to do for your upcoming end-of-month vacation. :)

Edited by ben2world on 04/11/2010 09:58:43 MDT.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Gen 2 on 04/11/2010 09:58:42 MDT Print View

Patience is overrated......

Other than a camera (which I don't care about, but which I'm sure will be along), this thing does everything I want it to do. OS4 will be available this fall, adding even more functionality. I'm having a BLAST with it right now, and I can tell you that when the newer versions come out, I won't regret having bought the first iteration, it's such a full featured product now!

Much like my iPhone. I have a 3G (not GS). I'm quite happy with it. I'll upgrade this summer, but I wasn't itching to upgrade as soon as the GS' came out. I'll upgrade the iPad in two years probably.

I am, though, quite the spendthrift!

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Gen 2 on 04/11/2010 10:01:27 MDT Print View

I don't care about the camera either since I can't imagine using it for regular picture taking. But there is still one thing that concerns me: the utter lack of USB and SD slots. Boggles the mind why Apples sees its devices as stand alones!?! Yeah, I know you can rig this somehow, but still...

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Gen 2 on 04/11/2010 12:29:29 MDT Print View

The camera would be nice for video teleconferencing. But that's about it.

Apple, I think, sees everything as wireless. There are cameras with bluetooth now, so you can transfer photos to your iPad wirelessly. Other than that, Apple uses the dock connector for everything. Carrying the optional camera kit is little different than carrying an optional cord for any computer. You can plug the cord into the dock connector, and the other end into your camera, and download your photos. Adding the SD card reader is one more thing, but it's not necessary to transfer photos from your camera to the iPad.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Re: Gen 2 on 04/11/2010 14:08:29 MDT Print View

I can see myself buying a new camera and all if everything can be connected wirelessly. Is the wireless connection something like bluetooth -- or an Apple proprietary standard? I would be leery of the latter -- as I feel the same about Sony products.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Ours on 04/11/2010 14:19:44 MDT Print View

The husband got one delivered last Saturday. He loves it. I have to say it is a thing of beauty. It will be his travel "computer" (ie..not his work laptop but his personal device). For reading and movie watching on planes it is wonderful. It does everything he needs for casual computing and is small/light.
He doesn't need the 3G version as his cell phone for work is unlimited for that - and he can do tethering, etc for a wifi network wherever he is.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Gen 2 on 04/11/2010 14:41:28 MDT Print View

Ben,

Apple uses Bluetooth for such connections.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Love that iPad! on 04/11/2010 14:49:31 MDT Print View

Why, I'm sitting at the McDonalds responding to this thread on my brand new iPad at this very moment!

I'm returning from a little 18 mile day hike in the Zaleski State forest.

Ain't modern technology wunnerful?

Stargazer

PS Now I have to figure out how to break it to my spouse that I spend another $600 of our retirement money.

"But, honey, I really, really NEED it. Honest!"

Edited by nerdboy52 on 04/11/2010 14:50:33 MDT.

David W.
(Davidpcvsamoa) - MLife

Locale: East Bay, CA
Ipad on 04/13/2010 22:07:09 MDT Print View

Be patient and something better will surely come along!

ipad

Edited by Davidpcvsamoa on 04/13/2010 22:12:13 MDT.

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Love that iPad! on 04/13/2010 22:18:14 MDT Print View

Now I like the iPad if only because I don't look so bad bringing my 1.53 pound mini computer on my hike when BPL members are hiking with an iPad.

Kendall Clement
(socalpacker) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: "iPad" on 04/14/2010 13:29:26 MDT Print View

Doug, that sounds awesome! I didn't know you could use it for word processing. Can't wait to see what 2.0 can do.

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
"iPad" on 04/14/2010 20:59:55 MDT Print View

Does it have a refresh rate that would cause it to flicker and be harder to use ( or more eye strain) than a kindle for reading books?

Anyone know?

Been meaning to google it and think I will now. Did and found this:

http://ireaderreview.com/2010/01/27/kindle-vs-ipad-review/

Edited by obxcola on 04/14/2010 21:07:29 MDT.

Andrew King
(drewboy) - F

Locale: Arizona
Ipad on 04/14/2010 21:22:25 MDT Print View

Yes, and let's also not forget the I-rack ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw2nkoGLhrE

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Gen 2 on 04/14/2010 22:01:23 MDT Print View

A few other things I do with my iPad as I explore various apps and such.

I bought a stylus (Pogo Sketch from Ten One Designs) and downloaded an app called WritePad. With WritePad I can write on the screen with either stylus or finger, and if I write somewhat legibly, the app converts my writing to text. Within seconds. I use Dragon Dictate with my B&W headphones to dictate to the app, which then translates my dictation to text with a high degree of accuracy. I use an app called radio.com to listen to (possibly hundreds of) streaming radio stations. And the planetarium programs I have on this thing add a whole new element to skywatching.

I also have a nifty little program that 'peruses' my musical tastes in iTunes, and then presents me with a list of local concerts by groups in my catalog -- and links me to the proper 'place' to buy tickets online. And if you've got an iPad, have a look at Alice for iPad. An interactive Alice in Wonderland book. Truly delightful.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Re: Re: Gen 2 on 04/14/2010 22:16:51 MDT Print View

To each his own! I'm sticking with Linux & Windows for my desktop & netbook. My HTC is dual boot Windows Mobile 6.5 & Android 2.01. If I had the I-Bug I could always put OS X on the netbook.

Mireille Halley
(tinyscrafts) - F - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Hungering for iPad on 04/14/2010 23:14:11 MDT Print View

Me too Doug!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsjU0K8QPhs

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Gen 2 on 04/15/2010 02:18:38 MDT Print View

For those interested it is very easy to make a good MYOG stylus. Just get one of those metal pencil holders for shortened pencils (it must be metal... the electrons have flow between your hand and the iPod/ iPad screen), cut a piece of sponge about 1 inch square, dip it in water saturated in salt, stuff the wet sponge into the mouth of the pencil holder until it is very tight, with just about 1/8 inch of the sponge sticking above the lip, cut a 2 inch square of a plastic grocery bag (don't use kitchen wrap; it sticks to the screen) and wrap it tightly over the sponge head, so the resulting tip is smooth, then secure the plastic square with duct tape. Presto, you have a stylus that writes even at an angle and doesn't scratch the screen. Better than fingers for drawing.

In Korea people use plastic wrapped processed sausages. They work, too!

Ross Williams
(xavi1337) - F

Locale: Korea
Re: Re: Gen 2 on 04/15/2010 09:21:55 MDT Print View

Yeah I used to use the sausages. They were great for a drum beat game. Sausages tasted horrible though, and i was afraid if the wrapper broke i would never get my bag clean again.

Someone needs to make a pen that has a cap on it that works on the screen.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Hiking-related apps? on 04/19/2010 08:09:27 MDT Print View

To resurrect this thread:

Anybody know of any decent BPing-related apps for iPhone, iPad, ITouch?

Stargazer