Copying maps
Display Avatars Sort By:
David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
Copying maps on 04/09/2010 15:34:40 MDT Print View

I took one of my maps in to Kinko's to get a portion of it copied onto water resistant paper and the guy at the counter said they could not make a copy due to copyright restrictions.

What?

I already bought the map and wanted a partial copy for my personal use.

Is he correct?

I have a suitable copier at home, what do you folks recommend for water resistant paper? Just photo paper?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Copying maps on 04/09/2010 15:42:12 MDT Print View

I've never done that with a color copier.

I do color scans a lot, and then I use various color printers. One Epson color printer gets especially good results when printed onto Epson Premium Photo Glossy paper. The color ink gets into the plasticy resin surface coating. However, if the copier or printer is not set up to print onto that kind of surface, I don't know what you'll get.

--B.G.--

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Copying maps on 04/09/2010 15:53:37 MDT Print View

I print my own on National Geographic Adventure paper. Great results from home. It's some type of plastic paper 8x14 sheets, and you can print on both sides. Got the paper with my Topo discs at REI. You could print maps there at one time as well.

Scott S
(sschloss1) - F

Locale: New England
Copyright law on 04/09/2010 16:10:20 MDT Print View

I'm pretty sure that the copyright law says (or is interpreted to say) that you can copy copyrighted works for your own use. So, it's okay to copy a CD if you want one for your car and one for your house. But it's not okay to give that copy to someone else or sell it.

Any lawyers out there who can confirm?

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: Copying maps on 04/09/2010 16:13:12 MDT Print View

Find another printer. Kinko's is way too expensive. I suggest color laser in a quart size freezer bag. That's how I'm doing my PCT maps right now, and they've already survived one day in the rain.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Copying Copyrighted Materials on 04/09/2010 16:24:52 MDT Print View

I bet EVERYONE who wants to copy copyrighted materials will tell the counter guy it's for 'personal use'. Methinks this is Kinko's way of covering themselves -- and avoid getting sued for "abetting theft".

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Copying maps on 04/09/2010 16:34:49 MDT Print View

It is for reasons such as this why I keep my color scanners and printers fueled and warmed on, sitting on the ready line. I print on paper up to 13"x19", and that does a decent job with big originals.

If you go the route of the color laser printer, I recommend one specific paper. Hewlett Packard Color LaserJet Soft Gloss Paper. It is fairly tough and fairly waterproof. However, I have seen it only in 8.5"x11" size.
--B.G.--