Forum Index » GEAR » Gatewood cape/mosquitos

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eric Noble
(ericnoble) - MLife

Locale: Colorado Rockies
Re: Re: half-ounce heavier on 05/24/2006 17:32:52 MDT Print View

What Peter said, and I would be carrying the wind shirt in both cases.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Flying ponchos on 05/24/2006 23:21:25 MDT Print View

"What do you mean? I spent, like, 2 hours in that fashion photo shoot, trying to get... just the look that would launch the poncho-tarp revolution."

Mission accomplished, but it'll never make the cover of SKI or GQ!

Perhaps if BMW took a more Victoria's Secret approach.... naw, you'd look silly in heels.

Antonio Abad
(tonyabad) - F
RE: Half ounce lighter on 05/25/2006 12:19:29 MDT Print View

Sorry, I'm coming in late to the discussion. I agree with Mark: advancement in WP/B offerings/materials in the last couple of years have mitigated the weight savings advantage.

You can get a Spinnshelter at 8.9 oz. + a minimalist PacLite jacket for 7-8 oz. Conversely, it seems to me that any dual use shelter with the exception of a Gatewood Cape necessitates a bivy for most people. That's at least another 6-10 oz. and at least $100.

Sunny Waller
(dancer) - M

Locale: Southeast USA
Re: RE: Half ounce lighter on 05/25/2006 13:08:25 MDT Print View

Dale..I am at work trying to earn a living..that first post was very funny...that 2nd one did me in..now I am worthless :) !!!!!

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: RE: Half ounce lighter on 05/25/2006 17:00:18 MDT Print View

"I am at work trying to earn a living..that first post was very funny...that 2nd one did me in..now I am worthless :) !!!!!"

I've been chastised for making people spray coffee on their keyboards ;) You have no idea of the restraint I practice here-- I've been trying very hard to behave myself.

Edited by dwambaugh on 05/25/2006 21:01:36 MDT.

Tony Burnett
(tlbj6142) - F

Locale: OH--IO
Poncho tarp.... on 06/01/2006 06:32:12 MDT Print View

Why a poncho tarp?

One scenario in which we are forgetting, is one in which you will rarely need either a shelter (tarp) or rain gear (poncho).

For example, it is quite common for PCT thru-hikers to complete their walk and only use their shelter 2-3 nights. Same for rain gear. Might as well buy something small and light and stuff it into the bottom of your pack for the 1% chance you'll need it.