Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Everest anyone ?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Everest anyone ? on 04/07/2010 19:31:07 MDT Print View

Somehow Everest is not what it used to be...
Everest camp 1

Picture from
http://thegoat.backcountry.com/?q=0
The story is about a 13 year old kid attempting the climb.
Franco

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/07/2010 21:05:09 MDT Print View

Crowding is getting ridiculous.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Everest anyone ? on 04/07/2010 21:56:24 MDT Print View

You should see the queue to the toilet block. By the time you get there there is no more hot water.

On a serious note, there is a "cleaning up" expedition about to start. As part of it they will take some of the ashes of Sir Edmond Hillary to the top and scatter them there. Nice gesture.
Sir Ed is a semi-God in Nepal. Great man.
http://www.sltrib.com/news/ci_14836822
Franco

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/07/2010 22:05:40 MDT Print View

A few of my photos from basecamp in Spring 2009, a part of over a month of trekking in the Himalaya.

SDweweaf

Video on my website.

Edited by Found on 04/07/2010 22:06:22 MDT.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/07/2010 23:53:20 MDT Print View

Where are all of the tunnel tents? ;)

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 00:01:40 MDT Print View

From my recent reading one of the biggest clean-up efforts will be around all the empty oxygen canisters that are lying around the place at the higher altitudes. Shame really.

Cheers

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 00:53:54 MDT Print View

They figured out how to take care of the depleted oxygen bottle problem. They put a $2 deposit value on each bottle. So, when each expedition prepares to clear the mountain, either they pick up and transport their own bottles down the mountain, or else the local Sherpas will go up there and take them out. If a local carried out five or ten empties on each trip, that is some good cash for the local economy.
--B.G.--

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 00:59:51 MDT Print View

I knew there was some reward for it, just didnt know the value, seriousely $2 ? But I guess like you say its good for them

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 01:29:34 MDT Print View

"Where are all of the tunnel tents? ;)"

Dunno. Higher up the mountain probably. ;-)

The Blue ridge tent in the middle looks nicely pitched.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 01:34:27 MDT Print View

Mark, $2 was the last figure that I heard for empty bottles.

You know, Sherpas are incredibly strong for their size, and it would not shock me a bit to see some guy waddling along the trail from Everest Base Camp heading down, and carrying about twenty empty bottles. His family will live for a couple of months on that much reward money.

--B.G.--

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 01:37:20 MDT Print View

Wow that is impressive.

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 01:39:18 MDT Print View

Sounds dangerous to me. A lot of those bottles will be perched in awkward spots near big drops.

Edited by tallbloke on 04/08/2010 01:42:53 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 01:46:20 MDT Print View

Everybody has their own price!

For people like you, Rog or Mark, you would pick up the empty and carry it down if somebody paid you (let's say) $1000. Well, the Sherpa people have a lower standard of income, and they will pick them up for $2, even if there is some reasonable risk involved.

Once they get the empties down low enough, they can haul them out on a yak. But yaks don't operate well when they get onto solid snow, because they have to graze on grass.

If a yak hauls two man-loads down, the yak owner gets paid the equivalent of two human porters. It's kind of a different economy. No plastic. No ATM.

--B.G.--

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 01:50:24 MDT Print View

At altitude, bringing things down is hideously easy compared to carting them up. Especially as they are full on the way up and empty on the way down. I'd bring mine down for a lot less than $1000, but then, I'm cheap. ;-)

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 02:03:29 MDT Print View

> Where are all of the tunnel tents? ;)
If you can use a square green beach tent as a loo, and a patrol tent as the local bakery/kiosk, then you don't need a tunnel tent!
Some of those domes look as though you could just about stand up inside them! Huge!

Cheers

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Everest anyone ? on 04/08/2010 02:07:26 MDT Print View

Note that the porters that will carry the bottles out of the wilderness will probably be paid daily standard rates. Many will work for three dollars a day or less in the local economy even if they're carrying twenty o2 bottles.

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
not a bad thing on 04/08/2010 14:34:38 MDT Print View

I don't think its a bad thing that everest is crowded now, or other backpacking areas for that matter. Anything that gets people away from the "blue glow box" is great for society in my opinion, especially with all the overweight people. Im glad to see people enjoying the great outdoors.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: not a bad thing on 04/08/2010 17:02:15 MDT Print View

"I don't think its a bad thing that everest is crowded now, or other backpacking areas for that matter."

Disagree big time.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: not a bad thing on 04/08/2010 17:23:03 MDT Print View

"Disagree big time."

+1

Besides, if more people keep living longer, my taxes are going to go up. I encourage people to eat lots of junk food and watch lots of TV. Keeps 'em off the trails and out of my way!

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: not a bad thing on 04/08/2010 17:39:19 MDT Print View

Nice one Doug :)