November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Cutting Straps
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick -
(byproxy) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Cutting Straps on 04/06/2010 16:19:36 MDT Print View

I need to trim some straps on some of my gear... wondered if anyone had any tips on how to get a clean edge. Taking a lighter to the cut end of webbing never results in a clean edge.

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Cutting Straps on 04/06/2010 17:12:47 MDT Print View

I have cut my straps on my Vapor Trail. Use a sharp fabric scissors and cut at 45 degrees to the length of the webbing. Then you need to fuse (i.e. melt) the edge. Use a lighter and hold the webbing horizontal to the ground and quickly go over the top and bottom of the webbing. You don't need to do it very long.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Cutting Straps on 04/06/2010 17:21:50 MDT Print View

Use a hot knife.

Don Meredith
(donmeredith) - F

Locale: SouthEast
Cutting Straps on 04/06/2010 18:52:11 MDT Print View

Go to your outfitter and ask to borrow the hot knife they use to cut poly rope. Works like a charm and will start an interesting conversation guaranteed.

Don Meredith

Vick Hines
(vickrhines) - F

Locale: Central Texas
Re: Cutting Straps on 04/06/2010 20:27:28 MDT Print View

Superglue, then cut.

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - F

Straps on 04/06/2010 21:07:49 MDT Print View

Don't hold the lighter so close. Hold it an 1" to 1.5" away and everything will happen much slower so it's easier to get a smooth edge.

Nick -
(byproxy) - F

Locale: Pacific Northwest
got it! on 04/07/2010 13:22:30 MDT Print View

wound up getting a basic razor blade scraper and used my trusty microtorch to heat up the blade before cutting each strap. worked perfectly!!