Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves on 04/06/2010 14:11:47 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves

Dan Durston
(dandydan) - M

Locale: Cascadia
WIndscreen on 04/06/2010 14:40:31 MDT Print View

Nice article. It looks a bit tricky to get the friction fit perfect but once you do it would be nice and easy to use. I wonder if the weight of this would be offset by fuel savings. That could be an interesting bit of research.

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
weight of windscreen on 04/06/2010 16:30:16 MDT Print View

The windscreen weighs 0.625 ounces.

I usually use 1 ounce of fuel per day, heating 5 pints of water.

If it's even just a little windy, in my experience, without a windscreen, I'd use 2 ounces of fuel per day. With the windscreen 1 ounce. So in 1 day I more than offset the windscreen weight.

Maybe more important - if I do a 5 night backpack without windscreen, I might run out of one 8 ounce canister. With windscreen I can do maybe 8 nights.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves on 04/06/2010 16:31:47 MDT Print View

Similar to one I made two or three years ago. Mine was made with beer cans skins (3) so the natural bend of the aluminium keeps it in place. However because it is so thin it will melt if the flame touches it. Keeping the flame to half or thereabout I had similar figures to the Jetboil for consumption but slower times.
Not durable but OK for 3-5 days .
Franco
windscreen

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves on 04/06/2010 19:34:28 MDT Print View

Hi Jerry

It isn't often that my jaw drops. It did this time. I am going to have to try this for myself.

Cheers

Timo Anttalainen
(timoa) - M

Locale: Finland, Espoo
Windscreen on 04/07/2010 02:19:19 MDT Print View

For smaller pots, material is from beercan:
wind

jerry adams
(retiredjerry) - MLife

Locale: Oregon and Washington
windscreen on 04/07/2010 07:24:53 MDT Print View

I like the idea of making it from beer cans, I'm kind of a cheapskate.

The Jetboil is a nice idea, but it weighs so much. You'll never save enough fuel to make up for the extra stove weight. Plus it's kind of expensive.

Lucas Boyer
(jhawkwx) - MLife

Locale: 38.97˚N, 95.26˚W
Thanks Jerry on 04/07/2010 07:28:02 MDT Print View

This is nice and doesn't require continually replacing the aluminum foil. Anyone used a screen like this on a cat can stove? I'm guessing one might have to place a couple more holes lower on the screen to get enough draw, since the screen would be touching the ground on the low profile cat can.

BTW: How long must one hike to offset bringing the beer cans w/ their contents and then constructing the windscreen? ;)

Edited by jhawkwx on 04/07/2010 07:29:16 MDT.

Michael Ray
(topshot) - MLife

Locale: Midwest
Re: MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves on 04/07/2010 08:36:20 MDT Print View

> Mine was made with beer cans skins (3) so the natural bend of the aluminium keeps it in place. However because it is so thin it will melt if the flame touches it.

Did you try the thicker Heineken cans, Franco? They clearly hold up to the cooler alcohol stove flames.

Fred eric
(Fre49) - MLife

Locale: France, vallée de la Loire
depends somewhat on the stove & pot diameters. on 04/07/2010 08:58:33 MDT Print View

I tried for a while to do one in aluminium for my BPL 1.1 pot used on a superfly.
And i used a small spring to keep the windscreen tight on the pot so it wouldnt slide down.
But the pot diameter was too small and the windscreen too close to the heat.
It wouldnt survive more than a few cooking even if the "windscreen" was going under the pot base for only half an inch.
Thats why i bought titanium foil.

edit : link to the post that gave me the idea for using a spring :

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=22264&skip_to_post=179687#179687

Edited by Fre49 on 04/09/2010 14:03:14 MDT.

Joseph Scalia
(jscalia) - F

Locale: NorthEast
scratching on 04/07/2010 09:22:00 MDT Print View

My only concern with storing windscreens in the pot is scratching, especially if its coated with non-stick material. I have been using aluminum foil which is softer but not very durable.

David Drake
(DavidDrake) - F - M

Locale: North Idaho
Punching holes on 04/07/2010 10:01:50 MDT Print View

I love the simplicity of this screen. For what it's worth, a regular hand-held paper punch makes nice, clean holes in aluminum flashing. The hole is about 1/4" dia. and holes can be centered as far from the edge as 3/4".

Edited by DavidDrake on 04/07/2010 10:05:06 MDT.

John Coyle
(Bigsac)

Locale: NorCal
Aluminum Windscreen on 04/07/2010 10:41:57 MDT Print View

Being a classic movie buff, this brings to mind this dialog from the 1963 Movie "The Great Escape."

Barlett(Richard Attenborough): Hilts, how do you breath?

Hilts(Steve McQueen): Oh, we got a steel rod with hinges on it. We'll shove it up and make air holes as we go along.

MacDonald(Gordon Jackson): Why didn't we think of that before? It's so stupid, it's positively brilliant!

Not that this windscreen idea is stupid. It's not, what I'm trying to say is that sometimes the simplest solution is brilliant.

lewis riddlesworth
(Lewisriddlesworth) - F
made one myself on 04/07/2010 11:22:45 MDT Print View

wind shield and wood burner

Made this a few months ago from a square of titanium foil i got from titanium goat, with the pegs removed it fits around the base of the pot a couple of inches down

it can be used as a wood burning stove also!

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves on 04/08/2010 00:38:49 MDT Print View

Michael
"Did you try the thicker Heineken cans, Franco?"
We don't have those cans here. But since I converted to the Caldera Cone I sort of lost interest in that.
Franco

Eugene Hollingsworth
(GeneH_BPL) - F
Brilliant! on 04/08/2010 01:23:38 MDT Print View

Jerry - I think this is the answer to every issue I have with windscreens! I can think of a couple modifications (I hesitate to use the word improvement) for those of us with different size pots and pots that are smaller than the stoves pot rests:

1) slots on the bottom to rest on the stove rests for smaller pots. If you make a windscreen for each pot size, you can skip #2 below.

2) to hold handleless, smooth, or smaller pots when sitting it on the ground, cut for wide slots on the top, so it looks like a medievel castle. Then just put a "V" bend to the inside, where the slots are to form 4 pot rests.

The friction of the windscreen will keep it on the pot (that part is brilliant!) and the post rests keep the pot from slipping down when put on the ground.

Finally! I'm going to have windscreens!

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves on 04/08/2010 01:54:38 MDT Print View

Nice job.

A neat way to de-burr dril holes in soft aluminium is to take a drill several sizes larger and use it by hand to scrape off the ragged edges left by the first drill. Support the Alu on a piece of softwood.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves on 04/08/2010 01:58:36 MDT Print View

The Al flashing we get here in Oz is so soft my fingernail is harder. I would just stick the burr-side inwards and forget it with our stuff!

Cheers

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Re: Re: MYOG: Aluminum Windscreen for Canister Stoves on 04/08/2010 02:00:39 MDT Print View

Or just use some pliers to flatten it. My way is better for showing off your MYOG gear to mates though. :-)

Matthew Duchow
(Duchow) - MLife
Al windscreen on 04/08/2010 08:18:08 MDT Print View

Any reason you couldn't make the same design with titanium foil?
Matt