Locale: Montana
Marmot Venus Jacket Review on 04/06/2010 14:09:56 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Marmot Venus Jacket Review

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Marmot Venus Jacket Review on 04/06/2010 21:05:00 MDT Print View

Goofy quilting patterns reduce a garment's quality. To the garment makers out there, please stop using them.

Marco A. Sánchez
(marcoasn) - M

Locale: The fabulous Pyrenees
Re: Marmot Venus Jacket Review on 04/07/2010 03:51:42 MDT Print View

Another mass market piece of gear.

One more reason to support cottage industries and MYOG.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Re: Marmot Venus Jacket Review on 04/07/2010 10:35:44 MDT Print View

And Marmot used to operate out of a garage, hand-making state of the art gear.

Mike McHenry
(mtmche2) - F
Re: Marmot Venus Jacket Review on 04/07/2010 16:34:03 MDT Print View

In 50 years I wouldn't be surprised to see GG or MLD selling "mass market" pieces of gear. Thats just how businesses grow I guess.

eric chan
(bearbreeder) - F
any clo or warmth measurements on 04/08/2010 12:39:36 MDT Print View

are there any clo or warmth measurements ...

id like to see those prior to trashing it ... hmmmmm

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Locale: Central Valley
Re: Marmot Venus Jacket Review on 04/09/2010 18:57:07 MDT Print View

I have and really like this jacket - I do wear it around town and to work as well as "in the wild." I use it for about the same temp range as I do the Montbell Thermawrap - between 50F and freezing, usually with a base layer under it, sometimes with a windbreaker or rain shell over it. I didn't appreciate the funky quilting pattern after I saw the men's jacket (I like the men's jacket better) but it's still a nice enough economical down jacket.

Kathy A Handyside
(earlymusicus) - M

Locale: Southeastern Michigan
Marmot Venus Jacket Review on 04/12/2010 22:10:01 MDT Print View

I find that I prefer men's designs in everything now. I'm so tired of the cutesy fashion statements of women's outdoor clothing! I want something practical and comfortable that also has some room to it. Too many of the women's clothing are too short, too tight, and just not practical. I've noticed a trend with the manufacturers of women's outdoor clothing and that is that they seem to be catering solely to the 20-somethings. So many of the hiking pants are the kind that ride below - and some are way below - the waist. And why are there so few choices in length of hiking pants? Men seem to be able to get hiking pants no matter how large the man is and they can get them in many more lengths than we women can.

This jacket is pretty, but I don't really care about "pretty" when I'm backpacking.

rhonda rouyer
(rrouyer) - F

Locale: deep south
Works for me on 04/26/2010 22:18:40 MDT Print View

I have this jacket and love it. Big enough to layer under and slim enough to layer over. I'm all about layering. I did backpack with it this fall when the temps were just above freezing and found it to sufficient in camp at night and comfortable with my pack. For colder temps I would add a gore tex wind/rain jacket. It works for me.