Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Where does one find...?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Vadim Fedorovsky
(socrates)
Where does one find...? on 04/05/2010 22:38:25 MDT Print View

"john i would live like you, but the wife won't have it. She needs her expensive direct tv, iphone, etc, etc. I am a simple guy and could be just fine without all these things, but the wife, well thats a different story. Where do you find such women who can live without these things?"

"AHEM...

on Backpackinglight?"

These quotes are from different people from another thread. I made it into its own thread because I'm tired of asking where one can find such a woman and just want to find one!

Rog Tallbloke
(tallbloke) - F

Locale: DON'T LOOK DOWN!!
Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 01:25:19 MDT Print View

"I'm tired of asking where one can find such a woman and just want to find one!"

On the trail would seem to be the obvious place. Then be prepared to relocate.

Mark McLauchlin
(markmclauchlin) - MLife

Locale: Western Australia
Re: Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 02:08:32 MDT Print View

Didnt find one that liked the trail so bought the one I have a luxury caravan as a basecamp so she can stay there and I can walk the trails :) works for both of us.

Cheers

Ike Mouser
(isaac.mouser) - F
title on 04/06/2010 10:15:25 MDT Print View

Can you please post a subject in your titles so i know what im clicking on. Thats actually my quote btw. Yea they are hard to find, but i suspect they would have upbringings very different than most girls.

Edited by isaac.mouser on 04/06/2010 10:16:29 MDT.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 11:49:13 MDT Print View

If you look for a great woman (and visa versa for others), you cannot find one. But when you are not looking, they enter your life.

And you do not necessarily need a person to share all your passions. My wife loves to hike, and can do long ones. But she will never, ever sleep on the ground unless it is an emergency. She is just fine with me taking solo backpacking trips.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 11:59:14 MDT Print View

Edited by annapurna on 05/01/2010 22:07:32 MDT.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 12:29:04 MDT Print View

Sarah Palin grew up in Idaho and then moved to Alaska.

--B.G.--

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 12:30:36 MDT Print View

Scratch Idaho then. And Alaska too.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 12:30:39 MDT Print View

Gosh. I was gonna say walmart, in the sporting goods section. But I like what Nick said better....

John Addleman
(Jaddleman) - F

Locale: Boulder
Re: Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 15:28:16 MDT Print View

>>But she will never, ever sleep on the ground unless it is an emergency.<<
Hammock?

For me, (and I'm young) I can't imagine getting into a serious relationship with someone who didn't like backpacking. It's more than just shared interests, it's also about my worldview. Backpacking (ultralight) represents a lot of things that are core to my personality, like doing more with less, questioning the status quo, rejecting the rat race, etc. etc. I think Jason Klass has a good insight behind his Ultralightenment theory; the things that make us ultralighters are more than just style choices, they're personality traits.

YMM of course V, these are just the words of a passionate young idealist.

Piper S.
(sbhikes) - F

Locale: Santa Barbara (Name: Diane)
Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 16:37:51 MDT Print View

My boyfriend met me on Sierra Club hikes.

I don't think hiking and a simple life without cable tv, iphones and all that naturally go together. Lots of people who like hiking are gear and gadget junkies.

So, finding a person who likes hiking shouldn't be that hard. Finding one who hikes and lives simply will be harder. But not impossible.

I'm reminded of a hike I did once with the Sierra Club. The hike was really rugged and strenuous and in the Wilderness. A 24 mile day hike. A lady came who had perfect hair, earrings and make-up. Every time we stopped to rest, she'd touch up her make-up. She whooped ass on this hike. There was also an ex-marine. He fell apart like a baby. It was the funniest day hiking I ever experienced. Sometimes you just can't judge people.

Alex Gilman
(Vertigo) - F

Locale: Washington
Re: Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 17:50:09 MDT Print View

Wait so if I want to meet a girl on the trail should I pack a pink lady razor and some Britney Spears perfume for her? ...or umm me.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 19:41:02 MDT Print View

"Wait so if I want to meet a girl on the trail should I pack a pink lady razor and some Britney Spears perfume for her? ...or umm me."

Well now, that depends on what age 'girl' you're trying to meet......

Alex Gilman
(Vertigo) - F

Locale: Washington
Re: Re: Re: Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 19:45:18 MDT Print View

I dissagree there's no excuse for bad hygiene

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Re: Re: Re: Where does one find...? on 04/06/2010 19:46:08 MDT Print View

John,

There are certainly women who have a worldview similar to yours - very similar - but don't like backpacking. Or perhaps don't backpack, but might try it for the right guy, etc. The personality traits we have are not exclusive to backpackers. Unless, of course, you mean you want to find a woman who doesn't bathe regularly.... ;-) Now that's a backpacker's trait! (Yes, yes, I know Roger! Backpackers bathe on the trail too! I was only kidding!).

YMM of course V, these are just the words of a passionate old idealist.

John Addleman
(Jaddleman) - F

Locale: Boulder
no baths on 04/06/2010 21:22:43 MDT Print View

I like 'em stinky!

Vadim Fedorovsky
(socrates)
i second that on 04/06/2010 21:37:47 MDT Print View

I like 'em stinky!

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: no baths on 04/06/2010 21:41:28 MDT Print View

I don't understand what people have against keeping themselves clean on the trail. I don't mean bubble baths, but wiping yourself down and getting rid of the funk from a hard day's sweating? Most nomadic people keep themselves clean, for that matter, animals do their best to keep themselves clean, even flies! but American hikers somehow need to remain filthy? I don't get it.

My partner (yes, a woman), 45 years old, does better with being UL in everyday life than probably anyone here. ALL her worldly belongings fit into, as of last week, 10 medium sized cardboard boxes. I feel like an elephant next to her.

Edited by butuki on 04/06/2010 21:50:29 MDT.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
RE: no baths on 04/06/2010 21:45:42 MDT Print View

Miguel +1 It feels so good at the end of the day doesn't it. Especially if you do your woman and she does you. Backwoods bliss! Scrub, scrub, clean, clean.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: RE: no baths ? on 04/06/2010 22:00:14 MDT Print View

"...but American hikers somehow need to remain filthy?"

mmm... pretty sweeping assumtion/generalization there...
I don't think I fit under that indictment..
I'm pretty sure my wife would also object.
So that's two.

Edit: Wow! Four if you count Ken and partner.

Edited by greg23 on 04/06/2010 22:05:48 MDT.