Forum Index » Gear Lists » 4-Day Gila Wilderness Gear List (4/8-4/11)

Display Avatars Sort By:
Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
4-Day Gila Wilderness Gear List (4/8-4/11) on 04/05/2010 06:51:37 MDT Print View

I finally got around to weighing and compiling a gear list I intend to use for a 4 day trip I'm doing in the Gila National Forest this upcoming Thursday. This trip will be a group trip including 2 other individuals, however I'm only sharing my stove and I'll be carrying it for the duration of the trip. Also, the list linked below is likely going to be my 3-Season list, the only other change I'd make would be to swap the MLD Monk tarp for my MLD Grace Solo Spintex. Weather conditions projected for Thursday-Sun. in the lower elevations of the Gila Wilderness are are expected to range from 30's in the evening with no chance of precipitation and sunny with highs in the 60's and 70's in the daytime. The route we're negotiating will likely keep us near water at all times so I won't be carrying anything more than 1L of water. No fire restrictions at this time in the Gila so I'm burning wood for boils in my CC TiTri Inferno w/ my MSR Titan Kettle. Any input or suggestions would be helpful.

Eugene Smith 4-Day/3-Season Gila Gear List

Edited by Eugeneius on 04/06/2010 18:33:45 MDT.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"4-Day Gila Wilderness Gear List (4/8-4/11)" on 04/06/2010 18:35:39 MDT Print View

I think my link was no good and asked for a sign in to view the Google doc. I changed the privacy setting. You should be able to view my gear list now. Any help, suggestions, ideas would be awesome. Cheers.

Peter Longobardi
(paintplongo) - F

Locale: Hopefully on the Trail
Recommendations on 04/07/2010 11:31:08 MDT Print View

I'd recommend dumping the soap and am curious if you have worn your MT100's backpacking? There is very little support and if you're going to be on rocky ground whatsoever, your feet are going to burn.

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: 4-Day Gila Wilderness Gear List (4/8-4/11) on 04/07/2010 14:49:04 MDT Print View

I think the Ohm with included accessories weighs more than 21 oz, but maybe you've stripped it down.

A firesteel (and practice) would be a good backup to the matches.

Is the hydration tubing worth the weight to you?

No sunscreen?

It might be good to throw a 2 oz medium trash bag in as emergency rain gear.

Edited by AndyF on 04/07/2010 14:49:35 MDT.

Scott Lehr
(lehrscott4) - F

Locale: Louisville - KY
Pot & Stove? on 04/07/2010 15:11:34 MDT Print View

It seems like an easy and cheap way to drop some weight would be to use a heineken pot and a lighter stove. I know you said you are using a wood stove, why not just use the coals from your fire and not even take a stove. Seems like an easy way to drop almost 10 oz.

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"4-Day Gila Wilderness Gear List (4/8-4/11)" on 04/07/2010 18:25:40 MDT Print View

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas.

@ Andy, you're right, the Ohm with everything in it does weigh a tad over 21 oz., I removed the hydration sleeve + optional mesh storage pocket + 1 hipbelt pocket and the back panel pad since my GG Nightlite is being used. I had considered removing the delrin loop and using the Ohm frameless since my total pack weight w/ food and 1L water as of this afternoon was 13.44lbs. but I think I'm gonna keep it as I'm not looking to shave grams on this trip. As far as having an emergency rain piece, I think my tarp and windshell is sufficient for the extremely unlikelihood we get precipitation. Spring in the Gila is dry dry dry and quite warm and windy. I could swap the Patagonia windshell with my Marmot Mica but I'd gain 2 oz. there and don't need all that jacket. You raise a good question with the Evernew tubing. I usually just use a 1 L Aquafina bottle and have never had any problems. I think the convenience factor is overtaking me this time around so I guess the little bit of added weight is worth it, plus my gravity filter setup with the Frontier Pro needs a run of tubing. As far as sunscreen, the other "lighter" skin fellas I'm going with will have sunscreen. I've never in my life carried sunscreen, I'm a dark fella and don't get sunburned very easily. I'm likely going to add my cheap straw Safari hat for the extra coverage, my arms will be covered as the Beartooth hoody is long sleeve. I think I'll be ok... I think. :)

@ Peter,

You must be a thru-hiker with that ditch the soap suggestion! :) I guess I could, but since I don't plan on bringing TP I'm pretty sure that soap is gonna come in handy at some point:) I'm not worried about using the MT100's in the slightest. With the weight I'm carrying they're more than adequate and my feet have quite the miles on trail in the MT100's as I've been wearing these for about 6 months for long distance trail running and day hiking. My legs should provide all the support I need. We're going to average 15-20 miles per day so I'm actually looking forward to the efficiency these lightweight shoes will provide over the distance. If the terrain was more treacherous and the water crossings fewer on this trip I'd swap them for my more supportive La Sportiva Crosslites but I'm not happy with the drying times in those. We'll cross both the West and Middle Fork of the Gila easily 100+ times and the snow melt in the Mogollons is ridiculous this year, in fact some of the NOBO CDT'ers are getting worried from what I've heard.

@ Scott ,

The stove conundrum...hmmmmmm? A Heineken or Fosters kit would definitely be a great option in the future. My brother in law just picked up the GVP Fosters Caldera Cone setup, that's an uber light little kit. This was a tough decision as I also have a Snowpeak 600 Caldera Cone I was considering using with Esbit tabs. However, I'm really excited to try out the Ti-Tri Inferno for my MSR Titan Kettle and since I'm sharing my stove with my buddy I'd rather be able to boil for 2 in a pop. The Gila is currently not under a fire restriction and is prime habitat for acquiring tinder/kindling for fuel so I think I'm gonna keep it this time around. I don't typically do 'campfire' trips but I'm willing to stoke a tiny fire for boils so the stove stays this time. I did manage to save a few grams eliminating the 2 provided stakes and the alcohol system with the kit and using x2 stakes from my shelter.

Edited by Eugeneius on 04/07/2010 18:33:57 MDT.

Mike Clelland
(mikeclelland) - MLife

Locale: The Tetons (via Idaho)
nice! on 04/07/2010 18:43:03 MDT Print View

No need for a ground cover if you have a bivy.

Where is a true raincoat in your list? Are you just trusting the weather report? If so, Why take a tarp?

Have you slept on that thin pad much? Just curious.

Beyond the above comments - this list looks AWESOME!

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

"4-Day Gila Wilderness Gear List (4/8-4/11)" on 04/07/2010 19:06:30 MDT Print View

Ahhhh Mike! You got me :) I definitely don't need the 1/8" groundcover since I'm using the bivy, it's the creature comfort side of me telling me I do! I'm gonna heed your advice and ditch it then, save me the 2oz.

Thin pads are sufficient for me. I typically use a cutdown Ridgerest or my Z-Lite pad so I should be good. I've never used a Nightlite pad before but thought I'd do a little comparison this trip against the Thermarest offerings, I did the classic home floor test and I found the GG Nightlight to be quite comfy. I'm banking on me being wiped out by days end. :)

I guess I am relying on the weather reports and satellite imagery, southern New Mexico is fairly predictable, sunny and windy. Is this foolish and youthful? Probably. If the weather wasn't looking so perfect for this trip I'd normally pack a real rain shell, I'm gonna roll the dice this time. I really like the breathable quality of the Pata windshell and can comfortably hike in it in the early morning and late afternoons without getting hot. I definitely could leave the MLD Monk Tarp behind and save 5 oz. and just use the bivy paired with my quilt. I'll think about that gear change this evening as I'm leaving tomorrow @ 5am. My thoughts were to use the Monk as more of a windbreak from the spring wind we get down here. Decisions, decisions.

Thanks for stirring the pot Mike, you possibly saved me a 7 oz. or so.