Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » first attempts at tarp pitching

Display Avatars Sort By:
kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
first attempts at tarp pitching on 04/03/2010 15:04:30 MDT Print View

sil tarp 2sil tarp 2

jumpback jack and i messed around with this id siltarp 2 8x10 tarp just to see if we could pitch it keep in mind we know nothing about tarping but are getting started so we figured a test run was in order
so far it seems to be a great tarp with a lot of different pitching
options hopefully we will get it right before we use it on the trail any suggestions would be great
kevin

Edited by divr6347 on 04/03/2010 15:09:15 MDT.

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: first attempts at tarp pitching on 04/03/2010 15:15:40 MDT Print View

Looks like a good start.

Also consider using a 2nd set of poles to create a near vertical rear wall followed by roof supported at the front by the (lower) first set of poles. (8' wide x 10' for wall and roof)

You'll have a shelter tall enough to sit up in and wide enough to keep out most of the rain.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: first attempts at tarp pitching on 04/04/2010 23:55:16 MDT Print View

Nice. Looks like you got it nice and taunt. That is the secret. I use the A-frame set up most of the time.

george carr
(hammer-one) - F

Locale: Walking With The Son
Re:first attempts at tarp pitching on 04/06/2010 18:25:07 MDT Print View

Kevin, looks great. A nice tight pitch IS the secret. If it gets windy you will want to lower it to help shed wind (rear facing into the wind), and use as many guy out points as possible to help increase the shear load of the tarp material. Not only that, more guyouts help to reduce flapping that will drive you nuts on a windy night.

kevin smith
(divr6347) - M
tarp on 04/07/2010 18:08:55 MDT Print View

thanks for the replies guys i think it will be a good starter tarp for myself and my hiking partner

now to figure out what bivy to buy lol

kevin

Elena Lee
(lenchik101) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest (USA)
nice tarp on 04/08/2010 16:08:33 MDT Print View

I love the ID siltarp! we should make this post open to include all the different tarp pitch configurations. Have you tried the Mid yet (that's the one where the trek pole goes in the center?

One thing with this silnylon tarp is when it starts raining, its better to tighten it up after it has been soaked. it doesn't keep its initial tight pitch after the first 10-20 minutes of falling drops.

slept under this in rainy Washington about a month ago, it rained all night but i stayed dry.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: nice tarp on 04/08/2010 16:58:35 MDT Print View

8' X 10' tarp. In most cases a bivy is not needed.

Backpack Jack
(jumpbackjack) - F - M

Locale: Armpit of California
re tarp on 04/08/2010 21:26:20 MDT Print View

Hi this is the guy under the tarp. How do you set it up in the mid configuration, we tried but just couldn't get it right. Pics would help. Thanks Jack