Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
MYOG Bivy -- Need zipper backing/stiffener?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Christopher Mills
(Hiker816) - MLife

Locale: Denver
MYOG Bivy -- Need zipper backing/stiffener? on 04/02/2010 13:58:40 MDT Print View

I'm about to order materials to make a bivy sack. For those who have made one, or who own one, can you tell me if there is any need to incorporate a zipper backing/stiffener, like they use in sleeping bags, along the zipper?

Thanks!

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: MYOG Bivy -- Need zipper backing/stiffener? on 04/02/2010 14:06:09 MDT Print View

You can call it a backing/stiffener, or you can call it a no-snag strip. If the main fabric is thin and snagable like I expect, it would be a good idea to have such a strip as long as it doesn't get too heavy.

I started with 9.4 ounces of Momentum fabric in full width. By the time it gets tapered down to mummy shape, the weight of some grosgrain shouldn't hurt much.

--B.G.--

Greg Mihalik
(greg23) - M

Locale: Colorado
Re: MYOG Bivy -- Need zipper backing/stiffener? on 04/02/2010 14:20:04 MDT Print View

It depends -

If you sew the fabric to the edge of the zipper material, as opposed to the "pro way" of right up close, and your fabric isn't SUL gossamer, and you are careful, I think you'll do fine.

Having a double-sided zipper or an "around the end" zipper pull will also help.