Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Sleeping Pad Advice with Quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Zeno Martin
(ananda) - F
Sleeping Pad Advice with Quilt on 05/14/2006 23:44:26 MDT Print View

I usually sleep with my girlfriend under a quilt style sleeping bag. We use Feathered Friend bags one is a 20F and the other a 40F. We even sleep on snow with this. We have been using 3/8" edge locking flat foam (made by Thermorest) at the bottom and then have been using two Big Agnes insulated air core pads next to each other held in place with a Toucan coupler. The BA air core has proven to be very unreliable with 3 failures out of 4 pads after 10-15 uses before failure. So, even though these BA pads are really comfortable, the reliability is having me consider abandoning the BA.

My question is, what pad is recommended to provide good comfort and light weight with a quilt?

I read Ryan Jordans article and don't see how he sleeps with a Torso length pad with his quilt system. My legs would get cold, especially sleeping on snow.

I prefer rectangular shape and full length. I've tried out the Thermorest orange "4" but I don't like trying to join two mummy shaped pads and these seem to be somewhat heavy for how much they inflate. Anything else out there?

Richard Nisley
(richard295) - M

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
Sleeping Pad Advice with Quilt on 05/15/2006 00:00:48 MDT Print View

If you will be sleeping on snow and want comfort use two Exped Down7 Down Air Mattresses or the Stephensen equivalent. With this much insulation you probably won't need the closed cell foam beneath it.

Drew Davis
(drewnc2005) - F

Locale: Hillsborough, NC
Re: Sleeping pad w/quilt on 05/15/2006 08:50:37 MDT Print View

Try the InsulMat Max Thermo (rectangular shaped version). I've slept on my mummy a lot and love it. No failures to speak of - highly recommended.