Forum Index » Make Your Own Gear » MYOG Neck Warmer/ Face Cover

Display Avatars Sort By:
James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco
MYOG Neck Warmer/ Face Cover on 03/31/2010 02:50:06 MDT Print View

So I found this stretchy synthetic fabric that seems to trap heat nicely and I was thinking about sewing a pull-over wrap that surrounds my neck like a scarf but that is long enough to wear over my face in windy conditions or just to keep my nose and ears warm.

I really want to make it double thick though since the point is warmth but I have a problem with the seam not being stretchy. The material is very stretchy (which is beneficial because I want it to cling around my neck and stay close, but at the same time it would have to fit around my head when putting it on). The problem I came up with is if I make the seam around the neck the width of my head it is too loose and if its tailored to the neck it won't fit over my head.

I drew up a little diagram to show you what I'm basically trying to do and the way i tried (and failed). Anybody have any ideas or ways to go about making something like this?MYOG Neck Warmer

Edited by jdemonaco on 03/31/2010 02:51:30 MDT.

Ben Smith
(goosefeet) - MLife

Locale: Georgia
Re: MYOG Neck Warmer/ Face Cover on 03/31/2010 05:07:45 MDT Print View

You could just skip step 2 and leave that seam open... As long as the fabric sticks to itself OK, it should be fine.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
MYOG Neck Warmer/ Face Cover on 03/31/2010 06:25:04 MDT Print View

It looks like a Buff, except with a seam. But much less expensive. But then you have a seam. A conundrum.

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Re: Re: MYOG Neck Warmer/ Face Cover on 03/31/2010 11:43:45 MDT Print View

Thanks for the replies.

I suppose I could go without a seam there, but I'd really rather have something there. I was thinking maybe instead of one long seam around the neck I could do little short groups of seams, that way it holds together and when I pull it over my head it would expand in between the groups of seams. Anybody else have tips or tricks, or experience with doing something like that?

Ken: That's totally what I'm going for. I had never seen one of those until you just said that and I google searched it. I had no clue they made something like this (I mean I was pretty sure, I just didn't know what it was called or anything like that). Thanks for that! I may just use the fabric for something else and shell out the money for a buff haha.

Edited by jdemonaco on 03/31/2010 11:47:56 MDT.

Jennifer W
(tothetrail) - MLife

Locale: So. Cal.
Elastic Thread? on 03/31/2010 11:51:52 MDT Print View

Not sure if this will work, but maybe worth a shot.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: MYOG Neck Warmer/ Face Cover on 03/31/2010 17:43:38 MDT Print View

Try a multi-stitch zig-zag with medium stitch length.

Elastic thread would also work, but can be tricky.

Cheers

James DeMonaco
(jdemonaco) - MLife

Thanks All on 03/31/2010 21:21:36 MDT Print View

I appreciate all your input but I just broke-down and bought a buff. It's really nice! The fact that it has no seams still baffles me.

I think I learned a lot though about this attempted project and It gives me other ideas! :) So yeah.. thanks again!

John Addleman
(Jaddleman) - F

Locale: Boulder
Stretch stitch on 03/31/2010 23:39:56 MDT Print View

My sewing machine has a stretch stitch function for sewing elastic materials, check to see if yours does too, it could be useful for future projects.

Justin Carter
(orangebananas) - F

Locale: San Francisco East Bay
no seams on 04/01/2010 17:56:49 MDT Print View

"Buff® is made with special knitting machines that weave in a tubular manner creating a unique product without no irritating seams or hems."

from: http://www.buff.com.au/faqs/general/buff-has-no-seams.html

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: no seams on 04/02/2010 00:15:12 MDT Print View

> "Buff® is made with special knitting machines that weave in a tubular manner
> creating a unique product without no irritating seams or hems."
That is actually somewhat misleading. See this pic of a buff from the Buff web site:
Buff
There is 'no seam' because it is knitted on a standard tubular knitting machine (very common).
If it has 'no hems' than that is because they rely on the way the edges roll up to conceal them. Fair enough, but different from what James was asking for.

Cheers

Edited by rcaffin on 04/02/2010 00:16:31 MDT.

Justin Carter
(orangebananas) - F

Locale: San Francisco East Bay
Re: Re: no seams on 04/04/2010 21:29:40 MDT Print View

The ends of my buff are not hemmed, just raw ends of fabric.

Bill Fornshell
(bfornshell) - MLife

Locale: Southern Texas
no seams on 04/04/2010 21:52:29 MDT Print View

Hi,

We are living in a high tech world. Take a close look at any modern T-Shirt, they don't have a seam either.