Forum Index » Editor's Roundtable » Western Mountaineering Expedition Down Bootie Review

Display Avatars Sort By:
Addie Bedford
(addiebedford) - MLife

Locale: Montana
Western Mountaineering Expedition Down Bootie Review on 03/30/2010 13:45:32 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

Western Mountaineering Expedition Down Bootie Review

Kronos Master of Fate
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Down Bootie Review on 03/30/2010 14:38:01 MDT Print View

Nice review Will. Do you think the XL would actually fit a 15 or is 14 already pushing it?

George Matthews
(gmatthews) - MLife
Re: Western Mountaineering Expedition Down Bootie Review on 03/31/2010 10:53:07 MDT Print View

Thanks, nice review. Will try to pick up a pair on sale somewhere during the Summer.

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Locale: Southwest Colorado
Re: Down Bootie Review on 03/31/2010 12:10:43 MDT Print View

Ken, the XL booties measure 13 inches long, and that's pressing against both ends. Measure the length of your feet. I don't think feet any longer than 13 inches would fit. Best, Will

Matt Lutz
(citystuckhiker) - F

Locale: Midwest
Re: Re: Down Bootie Review on 03/31/2010 20:20:33 MDT Print View

+1 on the Toughtek. I have it on my insulated mitts and it grips onto anything and stays there (I use them at home to open tough jars or the occasional car coolant reservoir.)

Eric Blumensaadt
(Danepacker) - MLife

Locale: Mojave Desert
And your travel boots? on 04/03/2010 15:15:18 MDT Print View

Will,

What do your do with your travel boots when in camp? If you do not have a VBL for them I'm assuming they will freeze and you'll be miserably cold the next morning when you put them back on.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: And your travel boots? on 04/03/2010 18:44:09 MDT Print View

I use a couple of A3 plastic bags to wrap them up and store them inside the bottom end of my quilt. Both walking shoes and ski boots.

Cheers

Will Rietveld
(WilliWabbit) - MLife

Locale: Southwest Colorado
Re: And your travel boots? on 04/05/2010 18:46:37 MDT Print View

Hi Eric. I am still dealing with the frozen boot/cold feet issue. If I don't wear a VBL, moisture from sweat builds up in the lining of my snowshoeing and ski boots, which means cold feet, and there's no way to get the moisture out in the field. A VBL works well, but I have to wear my socks inside them, otherwise they are just too clammy feeling. My feet stay warm while I am moving during the day, but I have to get dry socks on right away when I camp. I have not been putting my boots in my bag at night, but wearing warm socks in cold boots helps a lot to get started in the morning. Best, Will