MYOG: The Poddle on 03/30/2010 13:31:30 MDT Print View

Companion forum thread to:

MYOG: The Poddle

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
Heck yes! on 03/30/2010 13:57:13 MDT Print View

A great bit of thinkering, that.

I've broken BD poles twice (skiing), but the very collapsed setup looks like it would be pretty strong. Seems like you could find some smaller, lighter blades for a full-on raftpacking kit.

Keep up the good work.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: MYOG: The Poddle on 03/30/2010 16:07:28 MDT Print View

Cool idea!

Kyle Crawford
(getupandgo) - F

Locale: SouthEast
I Dig It on 03/30/2010 16:56:07 MDT Print View

I was wondering when someone was gonna make a trekking pole/ packraft paddle combo.. nice work.

Mark Berry
(SouthDowns) - F

Locale: Europe
Centre section on 03/31/2010 03:18:51 MDT Print View

For the centre section, why not see if you can get spare locks from BD (or another make that uses the same size tubes - most do), and make a double ended locking section? I reckon that would be lighter, would avoid the need to take the handles off (you'd just remove the top pole section and replace it with the new centre section), and wouldn't require any drilling.

I guess the only question would be whether or not you could get enough length and strength that way?

See here: http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product443.asp?PageID=1 for something similar for a different purpose.

Also see my blog at http://www.21-9.org/wordpress/?p=50, for a walking pole mod that could help if anyone's thinking of doing this with twist lock poles; I'm guessing your idea won't work with twist locks, as the twisting action of paddling could loosen them?

Mark

Edited by SouthDowns on 03/31/2010 03:27:59 MDT.

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: MYOG: The Poddle on 03/31/2010 11:57:19 MDT Print View

It's a very nice. Thanks for the write-up and guineapigging.

That set-up would make a rather stout 'mid pole as well.

Andrew Mattox
(Pawprint) - F
Ice axe version, cost on 03/31/2010 13:10:46 MDT Print View

I love it! If you don't mind me asking, how much did the total supplies cost?

And is do you think it's a beefy enough shaft you could fix ice axe head & spike to it, for non-technical self arrests?

. .
(biointegra) - MLife

Locale: Puget Sound
Re: Ice axe version, cost on 03/31/2010 14:13:49 MDT Print View

Is there such a thing as a non-technical self-arrest?

I do like your thinking, though, on utilizing the shaft for yet another purpose.

Dan Baker
(heeler) - MLife

Locale: Victoria, Australia
Thanks guys.... on 04/01/2010 15:59:23 MDT Print View

Thanks guys for your kind words...

@ Dave, yes, at full extension they are flimsy but as you note, when collapsed they are amazingly resilient to a bit of flex. I have looked around for some lighter blades, they all seem smaller and don't seem to have the strength...

@ Mark, I did not have any other poles available in either flick or twist lock to try out, I was thinking that the twist would work as well, I set my blades with no angle for my packraft, my sea kayak paddle blades are angled for longer journeys, I can't see why you couldn't do the same with the poddle, but I have not found the need, my longest paddle on flat water would only be about 2 miles, otherwise I am going with the current...

@ Aaron, As a mid pole it is great, like I said in the article I have used it as an improvised shovel in soft soil/sand, that said, I have been really pushing it on my last few trips to see if/when it will break... It seems to be holding up...

@ Andrew, Total cost, poles $50, paddles to donate blades $20, assorted nuts, bolts, aluminum & fittings $15... I had the poles and paddles already so $15 for me, scrap metal merchants have short lengths of aluminum, and garage sales are the place to go for paddles!
Strong enough for an axe head? hmmm, try it out and tell me how you go :)

Cheers again, Dan Baker.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
tip strength on 04/01/2010 16:20:59 MDT Print View

How sturdy is that tip, with the hole drilled through it?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Ice axe version, cost on 04/01/2010 16:25:23 MDT Print View

"Is there such a thing as a non-technical self-arrest?"

Hmm. Yes, maybe.

A technical self-arrest is when you fall on a high angle, and if you don't stop immediately, you will surely die.

However, sometimes we are up on a moderate angle snowfield, and we do a glissade and self-arrest for fun. But, if we lost the axe, maybe the slope runs out smoothly and safely.
--B.G.--

Dan Baker
(heeler) - MLife

Locale: Victoria, Australia
tip strength on 04/05/2010 16:17:03 MDT Print View

@Dean- The aluminum at the tip is the strongest, thickest section of the pole, I have recently removed the basket holder/Ti tip from one of the poles (It was held in place with more double-sided tape, similar to the grip) and there is no sign of any cracking or distortion.
I am confident it will be the last place the poddle decides to fail at. :)

Dan.