Which Sleeping Pad for JMT
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Naphas
(naphas13) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Sleeping Pad for JMT on 03/31/2010 21:41:46 MDT Print View

"Russell, can you elaborate on this a bit? Do the GG CCF pads have better warmth? Longevity? What? I froze on my ZLite and want to justify switching to GG pads this year, even though I only have 1 night on the GGs."

I'm not Russell, but I'll chime in here. The GG pad is thicker, with a more pronounced eggshell pattern. It's also made out of a material that is slightly softer than a z-rest or ridgerest. I find its comfort level somewhere between a ridgerest and a thermarest prolite 3. It also provides about the same amount of insulation as a ridgerest deluxe, so it's probably close to 50% better in that regard than a z-rest.

The GG is also more durable than a z-rest, though not quite as good as a ridgerest in this regard. It will compress over time, but you're talking in PCT or AT thru-hike type of usage.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Which Sleeping Pad for JMT on 04/02/2010 13:22:08 MDT Print View

James hit the nail on the head, pretty much. My GG pads have held up better over time and are more comfortable. Cheaper too I think. And a better fit for my backpack (ULA Conduit) as a back panel.

Warmer than the ZLite? I haven't done any controlled experiments but it seems so to me. Richard Nisley will probably come along with lab tested data to prove me wrong, though. I'll just say this- if you were cold on the Zlite, I wouldn't depend on a single GG Nightlight pad to keep you warm on the JMT. As I stated in a previous post I usually use mine in conjunction with another pad. On trips where I don't expect temps below 40 degrees and I can be assured of not having to sleep on rock I've used the GG alone but that's fairly rare since the Montbell pad is so nice and under 10 ounces.

Carl Zimmerman
(CarlZ993) - MLife
Which Sleeping Pad for JMT? on 04/02/2010 19:56:41 MDT Print View

I've hiked it w/ a Ridgerest & a Z-rest on separate trips. I own a Neo Air. I've used it on a couple of hikes. If I were to do the JMT again, I'd probably take the Ridgerest again. I can tolerate some short-term aggravation of finding a leak in a Neo Air (which I've never experienced yet). Over a 'long hike' like the JMT, I'd prefer the simplicity and reliability of a CCF pad.

Nate Meinzer
(Rezniem) - F

Locale: San Francisco
Neo-Air Leakage on 04/03/2010 17:07:43 MDT Print View

I think the leaks are due to two things:

1) Poor manufacturing. Hard to deny there was a bad batch since so many users experienced a leak right out of the box.

2) Material is easily punctured. This was what happened to both of the ones I've seen. Personally, mine is a short and I used it in a chair kit in Yosemite Valley and that night it deflated, and I got the worst night sleep. The next morning I took it to the shop and they suggested I dunk it in the river but I decided to just use a soap and water mix and look for bubbles. I could hear the leak, luckily, and easily patched it up with Duct tape. I'm now very careful with it, but it wasn't as if I was rough with it to begin with. My AirCore was VERY abused and never sprung a leak like that.

The second one was used on the bare ground without a foam pad underneat it and also developed a pinhole.

Moral: use a GG foam pad under it, use a stuck sack to protect it, and don't use it in a chair kit.

I wish I could swap it for a POE thermo 2/3.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Neo Airs on 04/03/2010 18:03:20 MDT Print View

Only use them in a tent. Not outside on the ground, and you'll be fine. Never seen an air mattress fail in a tent.

First Last
(snusmumriken) - F

Locale: SF Bay Area
Airpad + foam on 04/03/2010 20:00:56 MDT Print View

I've done the JMT twice. Both times I brought an airpad (Exped in 05, NeoAir in 09) plus a cut down section of REI blue foam (6 ounces worth.)
My reasoning was that if the airpad popped I would have slept (uncomfortably) on the foam. The airpad never did spring a leak and after the initial days of getting over the altitude adjustment, I slept like a baby the whole way.

If I did something like the PCT I might consider just getting used to sleeping on a ridgerest.