Shelter conundrum
Display Avatars Sort By:
Henry Blake
(Dragon) - F

Locale: Minnesota
My Idea on 03/29/2010 10:44:25 MDT Print View

You could put a price on all of them on Gear Swap, except the Moment, and see what "moves", before your trip. Then order a Cuben Hexamid with the proceeds to use on future trips.

Another idea:
Carry at least two of your tents that you want to sell. I'd take The One and the Sublite since you like the Contrail and Moment alot. The first three nights you'll meet someone that will see and like your tent. Get paid in full (on the trail) or if you decide to trust them to pay you later, send them on their way with it, with the promise to Paypal you as soon as they get home. Then you'll only be left with the Sublite to sell. Within the remaining seven days, you'll find another buyer, and can promise to send it to them as soon as you finish your trip. Or you can also take the Gatewood Cape (as a third shelter), and use it the last couple days of your trip after selling the Sublite.

Remember, if you meet someone with a heavy shelter, they want a lighter solution NOW to lessen their pain. So ask for bigger bucks on the trail for them than anyone on this site will give you. Good luck.

omar M
(kashmir) - F

Locale: New York
"Shelter conundrum" on 03/29/2010 10:47:44 MDT Print View

"Thinking about it -- sure, if your pack weight is super heavy, then every additional ounce counts. But you're a UL hiker, no? If your pack weight is more than light/comfy enough that you can truly hike all day and hardly ever notice the pack on your back at all... then mental aside -- who the heck cares about 5 ounces? Or even 16 ounces?

So many seem to fall into the "trap" where less is always better. No, methinks less is better only when your pack is too heavy! Otherwise, less is just less. As in less comfort, less enjoyment, etc."

Brilliant -- I could not agree with this more.

I've come to the conclusion that I will cheerfully shave ounces and lighten loads, but indulge, if only slightly, when it comes to my sleep. That is worth it. And, in this case, if it means you take the Moment, then you are better for it. In fact, your own criticism of the other tarps were all convenience based: ease of set up, noise when sleeping, the need for extra poles that takes more time at the end of the day.

Given your own inclinations, I would say you should take the Moment.

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Re: Shelter conundrum on 03/29/2010 10:58:10 MDT Print View

If you're hiking exclusively on the AT, I'd consider taking just a bivy- preferably something like the SMD Meteor, strictly for bug protection. Use the AT shelters- that's what they're there for. A core principle of SUL and UL hiking is to not over-pack.

If you're really worried about flexibility of where to camp, you can throw in a tarp and get by with less that 16 ounces total.

Of the shelters you have? I'd say the Contrail but that's the only one out of those that I have much familiarity with.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Shelters on 03/29/2010 11:20:14 MDT Print View

>If you're hiking exclusively on the AT, I'd consider taking just a bivy- preferably something like the SMD Meteor, strictly for bug protection. Use the AT shelters- that's what they're there for.

Good thought. However, the shelters do get a bit crowded along that stretch in June/ July.

I am reminded of advice given to me three decades ago when I first walked the AT in Pennsylvania:

"Tom, avoid the shelters. Sleep in your own tent. That way, the only person you have to worry about snoring or farting is yourself."

Ah, wisdom for the ages. ;-D

Stargazer, who snores so hard his fillings come loose

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Shelters on 03/29/2010 11:38:59 MDT Print View

I avoid shelters there at any cost. They are vermin infested, crowded and just not fun, IMHO. Mice droppings everywhere. Rats grabbing socks, skunks running on top of you while you sleep. Go there to stop, water up, eat and move on. Summer will be crowded and bears like to hang around the sheltered areas, too. There are plenty of nice places to camp along the way, some with great views. Best bet are areas close to overlooks, generally a mile away. Just make sure you have bug coverage. With the tents you have, any would work.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Shelters on 03/29/2010 12:06:15 MDT Print View

"Stargazer, who snores so hard his fillings come loose"

Stargazer, who snores so hard MY fillings come loose!

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Shelter conundrum on 03/29/2010 12:06:47 MDT Print View

Hey Tom, my transportation offer still stands, BTW.

Miguel Arboleda
(butuki) - MLife

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan
Re: Shelters on 03/29/2010 12:09:37 MDT Print View

"Stargazer, who snores so hard his fillings come loose"

Stargazer, who snores so hard MY fillings come loose!

Stargazer, who snores so hard, the STARS come loose!

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

SnorZ on 03/29/2010 12:53:41 MDT Print View

>Stargazer, who snores so hard MY fillings come loose!

The Idester knows whereof he speaks on this issue, having experiences the Earthquake-like roar o' my snore for a night in a shelter on the AT.

Snnnnnzzzzzzzkkkkkkkggggggg, gluk, gluk, gluk,

Stargazer

Russell Swanson
(rswanson) - F

Locale: Midatlantic
Re: Re: Shelters on 03/29/2010 16:24:03 MDT Print View

I am going to have to disagree with the naysaying of shelters. I've slept in PLENTY (maybe 40-50 nights total) of shelters from NC to NY and while they aren't always clean and tidy I think the image of rodents running off with your socks is a bit overboard. Just hang your food on the big metal pole puzzle devices and you'll be fine. And I seriously doubt you're going to have a hard time finding space unless there's a Boy Scout troop in the area...but they're more likely to be carrying tents.

Also, in Shenandoah you're pretty much consigned to sleep in the shelter areas due to park regs. You can't camp within a quarter mile of a paved surface and the AT thru Shenandoah is a ridge walk, which parallels Skyline Drive most of the way. Finding a flat, level spot to camp and not be within a stone's throw of Skyline is tough to pull off. Oh, and no camping within 50yards of any structures is verboten, so no camping on the lawn of that nice forest service cabin, either. Unless you've got a penchant for breaking park regs, which everyone seems to feel they're entitled to do...

Now north of SNP you can camp mostly anywhere but I'll bet you're going to end up camping right next to the shelters anyway. They're spaced conveniently, almost always have water, and a privy. And, if you really snore that loud, you'll probably have the place to yourself...

Edited by rswanson on 03/29/2010 16:25:38 MDT.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Shelters on 03/29/2010 16:43:36 MDT Print View

I'd expect to set up my tent near the shelter because of the proximity to the water source. I might consider the shelter if it's pouring rain, of course. Doug Ide and I just got off a night at a shelter in Maryland. Even with 1.5 feet of snow on the ground and hazardous walking conditions, the shelter was packed by 3 PM --with three or four folks arriving at 11 PM (!) hoping to squeeze in.

Don't get me wrong. I love people. I'll love them even more if I can spend a week or so away from them. :->

Besides, the "nut to butt" experience is not my cup of tea, TYVM. ;-)

Cordially,

Stargazerino, who loves his comfort, especially during the slarn phase (obscure movie reference)

Edited by nerdboy52 on 03/29/2010 16:46:27 MDT.

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Shelters on 03/29/2010 16:51:34 MDT Print View

Sorry Russell, but the rat did run off with a friend's sock. And you don't have to camp in the shelters only. I hike there year round and have found some nice camping areas within the rules of the park. I have been run over by skunks in the winter, mice in the summer, mice dropping in the shelter...which is swept away with a broom left in the shelter. Mice carry a virus as well. Yes, one can camp outside the shelter in the desginated areas f you want to use a tent.

As all things, sleep where you want, hike your own hike.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Well? Thomas? on 03/29/2010 17:25:52 MDT Print View

Have you finally decided which tents to sell? :)

Edited by ben2world on 03/29/2010 17:30:09 MDT.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Well . . . on 03/29/2010 18:01:10 MDT Print View

Shoot. I love them all. I'll sell the Lunar Solo E for sure.

I'd sell the Sublite Sil, but I trimmed out that useless inner porch flap to save half an ounce. Nobody will want damaged goods, even though you can't use the inner flat to make the "drip-free" entrance without leaving the mesh door open.

The One is just a tad to hard to get a good pitch with and the Sublite is only 3 oz heavier, so The One will probably go, too. Too bad the Sublite doesn't have a decent vestibule like The One. Sigh.

I love the Moment, Contrail, and Gatewood too much to part with them. They all have their specific uses.

I've talked myself out of using the Gatewood/ Serenity combo for my AT trip -- too small and hard to set up under adverse circumstances. I really intend to use the Gatewood only during the bug-free months.

The Sublite is small and it lacks a vestibule -- great for a night or two out, but too constricting for 10 days.

I'm leaning toward the Contrail or the Moment for the AT trip, but 24 or 28 oz sounds like so much more than the 18 oz of The One, especially when i just successfully eliminated a (gasp) full ounce by replacing by sleeping-bag stuff sack with a Reynolds oven bag. :-)

The One is actually a good compromise. Perhaps I'll practice with it and see if I can get a better, faster pitch. Nah. Too many stakeout point, despite the roomy vestibule and light weight.

I love my comfort, though, and the Moment, especially, and the Contrail, as well, are really roomy and exquisitely easy to set up.

Shoot. Your advice has been very good, folks. I appreciate it. Perhaps I'm overthinking here.

Stargazer

"I buy gear. Therefore, I am."