November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Wal-mart pad/windscreen
Display Avatars Sort By:
Keith Selbo
(herman666) - F - M

Locale: Northern Virginia
Wal-mart pad/windscreen on 03/28/2010 20:25:26 MDT Print View

I've started using my 3/4 length (cut down) Wal-mart sleeping pad as a windscreen for my alcohol stove. I was experience a tremendous drop in efficiency when there was even the slightest breeze despite my use of an aluminum windscreen.

Since the Wal-mart pad is stiff enough to be free standing, I tried using it as my windscreen. Even when I fully surround my stove with it, there's almost six inches of space between it and the pot. I've cooked with it a couple of times, but I don't have an apples to apples comparison yet. I can definitely say that it works as well as the aluminum screen so I can get rid of a couple of ounces by using the pad. If it improves efficiency (because it's an insulator) so much the better.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: Wal-mart pad/windscreen on 03/29/2010 11:49:21 MDT Print View

I use a short length self-inflating pad. So my Wal Mart sectional blue foam pad does multiple duties as:

o pack frame on the trail
o seat pad at camp
o wind screen at dinner
o sleeping pad foot section at night

Edited by ben2world on 03/31/2010 23:22:11 MDT.