Forum Index » General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion » Any paria river updates?

Display Avatars Sort By:
drew doty
(drewdoty1444) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz, CA
Any paria river updates? on 03/26/2010 19:32:57 MDT Print View

hi there i am going to hike the paria canyon from whitehouse to lees on april 5th and was wondering if there is water flowing at the start of the trail? i did it last year in early may and there was no water until the confluence and this year i am going 1 month earlier. any other considerations i should check out? thanks for your help.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: Any paria river updates? on 03/29/2010 01:12:54 MDT Print View

Call the Rangers or ask at Bogley.com

My guess is that there is still snow melting currently, but that it'll be melted out by then. Probably no water flowing up high, it's so sandy.

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: Any paria river updates? on 03/29/2010 05:40:38 MDT Print View

keep an eye on the river gauge, it is flowing right now at the bridge near the ranger station.

http://waterdata.usgs.gov/nwis/uv?cb_00060=on&cb_00065=on&format=gif_default&period=60&site_no=09381800

luke vires
(1ukeV) - F
wire pass-paria canyon on 03/31/2010 01:55:42 MDT Print View

My brother and I just did wire pass to paria canyon March 15-19th. We did not start at the white house but the river is flowing good. The locals said it was high this year because of the increased snow fall. It was my first time there so I can not compare to other years. They did not want to let us start at wire pass, but we did anyway. It was chest high in a few spots and even neck high in one spot in the narrows of wire pass. Once we got to the paria it was waist high or less the rest of the way out, although it was moving quick. It was an awesome time and a memorable experience.

Edited by 1ukeV on 03/31/2010 01:57:33 MDT.

Jack H.
(Found) - F

Locale: Sacramento, CA
Re: wire pass-paria canyon on 04/06/2010 18:43:25 MDT Print View

Whoa! That is DEEP. Did you hike to Lee's Ferry?

I want to get out there!

luke vires
(1ukeV) - F
paria on 04/06/2010 23:49:37 MDT Print View

ya we exited lees ferry. We took Betty's shuttle service to wire pass. We did wire pass to lees in 4 days, I wish we woulda done it in five to enjoy it more but we were pressed for time.

Alex H
(abhitt) - MLife

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW
Re: paria on 04/07/2010 05:33:28 MDT Print View

Wow that is deep! We did it last Nov. and only had crotch deep in Buckskin and waist deep in one spot down in the Paria, ankle deep for the most part.

It must have been really cold water too, as it was really cold for us last fall. We took 5 days and it is worth it to soak it all in.

drew doty
(drewdoty1444) - MLife

Locale: Santa Cruz, CA
paria trip april 2010 on 04/13/2010 20:42:34 MDT Print View

here are some photos from the trip i went on. thanks for your help with info on the area. water was cold in mornings and fairly warm in the afternoon. didnt see that many people, and the weather was on the cool side as well but sunny.pariaparia2us