Forum Index » GEAR » Alcohol Fuel Bottles

Display Avatars Sort By:
Zack h
(want2belite) - F
Alcohol Fuel Bottles on 03/26/2010 11:18:18 MDT Print View

What's everyone using?

I got deluged when i tried to search for this, so if this has been beaten to death elsewhere a link to the thread will be great!

Michael Crosby
(djjmikie) - MLife

Locale: Ky
Re: "Alcohol Fuel Bottles" on 03/26/2010 11:24:53 MDT Print View

Look here

Edited by djjmikie on 03/26/2010 11:28:24 MDT.

Adam Rothermich
(aroth87) - F

Locale: Missouri Ozarks
Re: Alcohol Fuel Bottles on 03/26/2010 11:29:35 MDT Print View

Small bottle that previously held contact solution. They come in many sizes but I like the 4oz and 8oz ones the best. You can pry the top off pretty easily with a pair of needle nose pliers and it snaps right back on. I've never had one leak on me plus the top makes dispensing the fuel super easy.

Adam

Tim Heckel
(ThinAir) - M

Locale: 6237' - Manitou Springs
travel bottle on 03/26/2010 11:33:13 MDT Print View

I use an old travel size shampoo bottle with a squirt top for short trips.

Zack h
(want2belite) - F
@Mike Crosby on 03/26/2010 12:06:49 MDT Print View

Doh! how the heck did i miss that?

Javan Dempsey
(jdempsey)

Locale: The-Stateless-Society
half liter water bottle. on 03/26/2010 12:21:13 MDT Print View

lightest I could find. marked up with red sharpie and duct tape so that hopefully, nobody drinks it.

Thomas Burns
(nerdboy52) - MLife

Locale: "Alas, poor Yogi.I knew him well."
Fuel bottles on 03/26/2010 12:32:18 MDT Print View

To repeat a point I made on another thread: (There appear to be two threads going on simultaneously on this topic.)

Caldera systems come with a nice bottle. Truth is, on longer trips, I just pour a bit of Everclear into a small Gatorade bottle. They are light, cheap (just throw out that nauseating Gatorade), and you'll have enough to take an occasional nip of "stove fuel" as a soporific at bedtime.

Stargazer

Troy Childs
(tchilds) - F
try the end2end bottles on 03/26/2010 12:51:19 MDT Print View

I use the fuel bottles from end2end. They're pretty light, durable, and colored so you don't mix them up with the olive oil or vinegar! Big plus for me since I'm a bit of a chef. Couple available sizes was a huge help to me too. The little pour top is nice and they haven't leaked after a 100 foot tumble down a little too steep of a grade. Not sure what else is out there I've only used these and much heavier containers in the past.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
another good (free) bottle to use for alcohol on 03/26/2010 13:37:35 MDT Print View

In my kitchen, the dishwasher uses a rinse agent called Cascade Crystal Clear. That comes in a clear plastic bottle, 250ml, 8.45 oz, with a screw cap and small orifice under the cap. Once it is washed out, it is good for alcohol or possibly white gas.

--B.G.--

Trevor Greenwood
(Skippy254) - F

Locale: Colorado
Re: another good (free) bottle to use for alcohol on 03/26/2010 15:23:50 MDT Print View

Once it is washed out, it is good for alcohol or possibly white gas.

--B.G.--

It wouldn't be safe for white gas.

-T

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: another good (free) bottle to use for alcohol on 03/26/2010 15:26:49 MDT Print View

I didn't say that it was safe. The white gas does not seem to attack the plastic in the short term. For long term, I generally store white gas in a metal container.

--B.G.--

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Alcohol Fuel Bottles on 03/26/2010 19:05:22 MDT Print View

Cough medicine bottle from my local pharmacy. They just gave a new one to me free. once I told them what it was for. Ounce marks on the side and all.

Noel Hong
(arborrider08) - F

Locale: SouthShore of Lake Superior
large volume on 03/26/2010 19:32:11 MDT Print View

Thinking about Soda pop bottle. Light, strong and free. Notice on the shelf that Coke is available in smaller 8oz bottles. Any reason not to? Alcohol breaks down Al, Heet comes in plastic and others have used Platypus type of bottle.

christopher shive
(cms432)

Locale: Along the AT in PA
My Alcohol Fuel Bottle on 03/26/2010 19:52:25 MDT Print View

I use an 8 ounce AquaPod water bottle with two caps. One cap is used to seal the bottle while riding in my pack. The second cap has a small hole in the center that allows for precision pouring - it works similar to pouring from a bottle of contact solution. And it only weighs 0.5360 ounces.

Fuel Bottle

Tristan Sprenkle
(Tristan570) - F
Fuel Bottle on 03/26/2010 20:57:09 MDT Print View

I use an old water bottle. It's tinted blue and shaped differently than the gatorade bottles I use for my water so I don't get them mixed up.