Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
N. Cal. - 3 day trip suggestions
Display Avatars Sort By:
nathan matthews
(nathanm) - F

Locale: Bay Area
N. Cal. - 3 day trip suggestions on 03/20/2010 22:30:40 MDT Print View

Planning for my spring and summer, I'm looking for suggestions for 2-3 day trips to tide me over until I have a real vacation. I know that all the parks are great, so what I'm looking for are suggestions of specific routes, whether a linkage of different trails, a map, or even a set of destinations to use in forming a loop.

Recognizing that a 3 day trip means different things to different people: I can comfortably cover about 15 miles a day on a well maintained trail without particularly extreme elevation changes. I'd rather go off trail, which is usually slower depending on terrain (off trail on part of the Trinity High Route was incredibly slow for me, off trail in the parts of Desolation that I've been to wasn't much slower than on trail hiking). As a rule of thumb, for weekend solo trips, I don't like to do anything where it would be a good idea to carry an ice axe.

I realize this is a pretty general request--thanks for everybody's patience. If you're interested in joining me on trips like this in the next couple months, send me a personal message.

EDIT-
I realize that this isn't a trip report. This post ended up here because I thought to ask after I didn't find what I was looking for in other people's trip reports. Where should a post like this go?

Edited by nathanm on 03/21/2010 21:36:52 MDT.

Jason G
(JasonG) - F

Locale: iceberg lake
i second this post.. on 03/21/2010 14:50:42 MDT Print View

Yea

Edited by JasonG on 04/06/2013 15:13:40 MDT.

Jim Carr
(jcarr) - F

Locale: Humboldt County
N.C. trips on 03/22/2010 10:44:02 MDT Print View

If you are slow enough like us you can make Redwood Creek 3 days. Also We went to Forest Glen on Hwy 36 and day hiked the trail along the South Fork Trinity River. We plan on doing the whole trail soon but I have to find out if its open for the whole 18 miles.

Tom Clark
(TomClark) - MLife

Locale: East Coast
Re: N. Cal. - 3 day trip suggestions on 03/24/2010 16:19:34 MDT Print View

Nathan,
Try "Hiking Partners / Trip announcements."

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/display_forum.html?forum=34

If you're looking for trip in North Carolina, you could certainly do the AT through the Roan Highlands (Beauty Spot to Hump Mtn. (not sure of the mileage).
Tom