Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
So Cal WIldflowers!!
Display Avatars Sort By:
Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
So Cal WIldflowers!! on 03/18/2010 22:19:52 MDT Print View

Okay, we had a wet winter. Everyone needs to get out during the next two weeks.

This weekend should be great in Anza Borrego.

I was in the foothills around Irvine today. Probably next week for great blooms.

Tehachapi/Gorman/Arvin and north the golden poppies shoud be in full bloom this weekend and next.

I don't want to see any weekend posts here from so cal BPLers here over the next couple of weekends :)

drowning in spam
(leaftye) - F

Locale: SoCal
Re: So Cal WIldflowers!! on 03/18/2010 22:26:49 MDT Print View

Hey now, give me one more weekend. I promise I'll spend the next dozen or two weekends out hiking. I should be in that area soon enough.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: So Cal WIldflowers!! on 03/18/2010 22:30:57 MDT Print View

Eugene,

You're excused, since you have a "little" trip planned starting in April. Good luck and I hope it goes well and safe.

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
So Cal WIldflowers!! on 03/18/2010 22:33:54 MDT Print View

Man, I do miss Anza-Borrego. Have a great time out there and please take some photos. It'll help me get my desert fix.

Pieter Kaufman
(Pieter) - F
Re: So Cal WIldflowers!! on 03/18/2010 23:56:02 MDT Print View

Nick, you really think Gorman will erupt this weekend? I just drove by en route to/from Mt. Pinos this past weekend, and it didn't look quite there yet. Hard to tell from the freeway though.

There are however large drifts of lupine on abundant display all over the southland.

FWIW, my backyard hill is almost hitting poppy peak, with tidy tips, coral bells at peak, and a huge amount of goldfields about to explode; they are my favorite.

On my hill, the lupine has yet to bloom; same with the filaree and phacelia.

Too, all the encelia in my area is reaching for the sun in a big way.

Early desert perennial blooms I spotted in the last month or so include Thamnosma montana, Lotus rigidus, Sphaeralcea ambigua, and some Encelia farinosa just starting.

For anyone commuting along the 210 between Glendale and Pasadena, there's a nice lot of Encelia californica above and along the freeway, and a reallly stunning crop of lupine along the onramp to the 210 east from the Harvey entrance/exit!

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Re: So Cal WIldflowers!! on 03/19/2010 00:29:41 MDT Print View

Pieter,

It is hard to say. We've had a warm streak recently. But I would bet my the next weekend. I am probably headed out to Borrego this weekend. Not sure where I am going to go the next. But with all the rain this year, it is not a spring to miss.

Pieter Kaufman
(Pieter) - F
Re: Re: Re: So Cal WIldflowers!! on 03/19/2010 07:08:02 MDT Print View

This warm streak's been wonderful hasn't it? I was starting to get really tired of the rain, although I did really enjoy a day at JT a couple of weeks ago with some sporadic but heavy rain.

From everything I've read or heard, AB is indeed the place to be for flowers right now. I'll be home with my son this weekend, and the following weekend up in the Sierra, so first chance for real wildflower chasing won't be for two more weeks, which should be great for the deserts and woodlands further north of AB.

Please keep us updated as to what you see and where, if you don't mind.

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: So Cal WIldflowers!! - Anza Borrego Pictures on 03/21/2010 23:18:41 MDT Print View

Too bad I am not into photography!! But here are some P&S pictures of my trip this weekend. Hiked away from the crowds, so did not venture into the areas which probably had more flowers.

002a

William Johnson
(Steamboat_Willie)
Desert Blooms on 03/22/2010 00:33:14 MDT Print View

Reminds me of my trip to Joshua Tree a half-year ago. Thank you for sharing your trip pictures, Nick.

Dean F.
(acrosome) - MLife

Locale: Back in the Front Range
Curses on 03/22/2010 09:08:09 MDT Print View

Curse you Californians. We're about to get another winter storm, here...

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Re: Curses on 03/22/2010 09:16:50 MDT Print View

"Curse you Californians. We're about to get another winter storm, here..."

Move.

Dean,

Tongue in cheek. I know you are a military man. Thanks for all you do for us.

obx hiker
(obxcola) - MLife

Locale: Outer Banks of North Carolina
So Cal WIldflowers on 03/22/2010 12:22:39 MDT Print View

Thanks Nick!

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
So Cal WIldflowers!! on 03/22/2010 12:33:43 MDT Print View

Thanks, cool photos.

Adan Lopez
(Lopez) - F

Locale: San Gabriel Valley
My apologies on 03/22/2010 15:00:34 MDT Print View

I was posting from home this past weekend and I live less than 2 hours from Anza Borrego! So i want to apologize to Nick and all of you traveling abroad who wish you could be here during wildflower season.

To make up for this terribly wasted opportunity, I plan on taking my whole family down there in two weeks. It wont happen again. Great pictures Nick, thanks!