Footware for Fording Creeks
Display Avatars Sort By:
James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Footwear for Fording Creeks on 03/18/2010 18:03:05 MDT Print View

I think what we are seeing here is that in warmer conditions, quick drying footwear & socks works well. However, in cold conditions/snow, keeping the feet dry might be preferable.
As an example, last weekend I hiked on the AT from Davenport Gap to Hot Springs, a distance of 36 miles. When we started it was dry with temps in the 40's so I hiked in my mesh GoLite Comps & Smartwool crew socks. A few stream crossings got my feet wet but they were fairly dry in 10-15 minutes of continued hiking. After crossing Max Patch the next day, it began to sleet/snow which was beginning to accumulate by the time we reached our shelter at the end of day 2. The next morning I wore a dry pair of Smartwool socks under a pair of Sealskin waterproof socks with the same GoLite shoes & hiked comfortably in 6-8 inches of snow which changed to slush & mud below 3500'. Several creeks were crossed with near freezing water & my feet stayed dry & warm. Once the snow & ice were gone, the Sealskins were removed & I continued on with the the regular sock/shoe combo. This system works well for me. Your preferences may vary.

Marc Eldridge
(meld) - MLife

Locale: The here and now.
jungle boots on 03/18/2010 21:37:58 MDT Print View

I picked up a pair after I got back and wore them for a year after that. Great pair of dry fast boots.