Jetboil weight question
Display Avatars Sort By:
Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
Jetboil weight question on 03/14/2010 09:42:01 MDT Print View

Has anyone weighed the standalone jetboil pot without cozy or heat exchanger?

It has a nice form factor, was considering buying it as a standalone UL pot for use with alcohol / iso / whitgas but heard it was heavy.

sheila o
(bumpass) - F

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /
JB on 03/14/2010 16:52:11 MDT Print View

The heat exchanger is attached to the pot. The PCS measurements are similar to the MLD850 or SP MiniSolo.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
jetboil on 03/14/2010 16:52:49 MDT Print View

sorry, i just packed mine up to ship to a buyer so I don't have it in hand. But Im not sure if its possible to strip the heat exchanger off of it. Either way, the aluminum they use is over kill, and it is indeed a heavy pot. If you want a cheap, aluminum pot, that is highly useable, and very affordable, there is no better pot that the IMUSA, in terms of value
https://www.end2endtrailsupply.com/Imusa_Mugs.html

Its just not worth the money to buy a jetboil companion cup, only to strip it of all its features. But if you're dead set on buying a pot thats affiliated with a outdoor company of some sort, check out gear swap. There is a GSI double boiler for sale there. Similar profile to the Jetboil cup, and better suited for what I think your plans are

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=30140

Hope this helps!

Edited by Konrad1013 on 03/14/2010 16:54:10 MDT.

sheila o
(bumpass) - F

Locale: The Far Left Coast? : /
might work on 03/14/2010 17:34:04 MDT Print View

mm.....your idea may work.
The pot WITH the heat exchanger=5.5oz
It appears that it could be pryed off which should drop the weight alot.
It can hold > 3cups.
I may have an extra pot to sell. PM me if interested.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: might work on 03/14/2010 18:26:32 MDT Print View

> The pot WITH the heat exchanger=5.5oz
> It appears that it could be pryed off

Ahhh ... Not, I suspect, without doing a lot of structural damage to the pot. Why on earth one would try this I can't see yet.

Cheers

Michael Meiser
(mmeiser) - F

Locale: Michigan
Jetboil companion pot as an UL pot? on 03/17/2010 07:51:08 MDT Print View

Don't think I'm going to go this direction based on comments.

Would be interesting to try it at some point with alcohol and other stoves, but I don't think I'm going to try it right now.

-Mike

Derek Goffin
(Derekoak)

Locale: North of England
jetboil with other fuels on 03/18/2010 02:57:31 MDT Print View

I was forced to use my jetboil pot with hexamine (esbit) when I could not buy gas in the Canaries. As you might expect It seemed more efficient than my hexamine specific little pot. Water boiled when I expected it to just get hot.