Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
My Life is About to Change.
Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: My Life is About to Change. on 03/10/2010 15:30:30 MST Print View

Cool! I love being an uncle. ;-)

Much luck. Much success. And many, many happy adventures!

Philip Delvoie
(PhilipD) - MLife

Locale: Ontario, Canada
My Life is About to Change on 03/10/2010 15:33:22 MST Print View

Best of luck Juston. Big change for you and a huge scary change for Dalton. Wishing only the best for you, your friend and Dalton.

If I can give any advice...it's be patient with the little fella. He will be adjusting and adapting through all this also and it will be hard on him...at that age kids do not always know how to appropriately express their feelings.

I myself adopted two children when they were around that age. It's been great to watch them florish and grow into the young teens that they are today.

It's a huge change, a huge commitment, a huge amount of work...but extremely rewarding and I know in my case it has been simply amazing and I wouldn't want it any other way.

Sarah Kirkconnell
(sarbar) - F

Locale: In the shadow of Mt. Rainier
Re: My Life is About to Change on 03/13/2010 20:33:30 MST Print View

6 is an age where a child is very flexible - but also old enough to understand death and finality.

My son at that age lost 3 close family members in a 3 month period. We never hid death from him, which as an adult your first instinct is to do that - to only want to protect them from pain.

If I can give any advice is that therapy will be needed, someone he can talk to. He needs to understand that he did nothing to cause the loss of his mother. Small children can take too much pain and grief upon themselves but with time will flourish well.

Children are a blessing and can enrich your life beyond measure.

Luke Schmidt
(Cameron) - MLife

Locale: The WOODS
Good for you on 03/14/2010 01:12:19 MST Print View

Juston good for you. Just remember if it ever gets difficult its probably not your fault or the boy's. Kids aren't supposed to lose their parents and when they do it will be hard on them, there is no perfect way to fix a tradegy. Personally I can't think of anything more worthwhile than helping someone in need.

Edit - I just remembered I know some folks down in GA that work with kids (some of them adoptees) who are struggling so cope with the hard knocks of life. If you want them as a resource PM me.

Edited by Cameron on 03/14/2010 01:15:53 MST.

Franco Darioli
(Franco) - M

Locale: Melbourne
My Life is About to Change on 03/14/2010 14:27:11 MDT Print View

Juston
Thank you for sharing and I hope that you keep sharing your burden and your joy with others.
Can I suggest you organise a video message from the mother to her son ?
Franco

Juston Taul
(Junction)

Locale: Atlanta, GA
Thanks again. on 03/15/2010 12:41:57 MDT Print View

Thanks everyone for the ideas and support. I'm holding off on just about everything right now. I don't want to plan based on the assumption that Dalton's mother will die in 3 to 4 months. I hope she lives for years to come. I'm only doing what is asked of me by his mother, and what I think will ease any transitions.

If the day comes where i'm a single father, i'm sure the questions will flow. Right now is just full of uncertainty. Only time will clear things up. I am very appreciative of everyone here. Thanks once again.