Forum Index » GEAR » Emergency book

Display Avatars Sort By:
Paul Siegel
(PaulSiegel)

Locale: Southern Appalachians
Well actually... on 03/09/2010 20:02:25 MST Print View

I've been a WFR for 3 years with a strong interest in wilderness emergency medicine. Figured I should post up my certifications.

You've got step one down good, pressure and time to clot. I don't like superglue near joints or other areas especially when I'm unsure about the cleanliness of the wound ( no reflection on you BJ). I'd check it in a few hours to see if the bleeding has stopped or slowed. Earlier if it was not clean, got to get in there and flush with copious of amounts of 100:1 Iodine solution.

If you've got a clean wound, full Range of Motion and circulation, sensation and capillary refill then maybe some steri-strips gauze and tape for a few days. Prophylactic Neosporin (or antiboitic ointment) around the wound but NEVER on it. Probably move you down to band aids in a few days. Assuming of course no infection or other complications.

Liberal use of spirits is recommended to dull the pain.

No book used. How'd I do?

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Locale: Montana, MT (Stealth Mode)
The SmileyFace goes to Paul: on 03/09/2010 20:10:43 MST Print View

Except for the range of motion at this point you are spot on. I actually have my thumb immobilized with the vinyl tape to give it a chance to heal. As always, the hygiene issue should go without saying. If you don't have enough sense to keep the wound clean than you deserve the Darwin Award.

I must be doing it wrong......

BJ

Edited by lilorphanbilly on 03/09/2010 20:12:02 MST.

Alex Gilman
(Vertigo) - F

Locale: Washington
Paul It's Almost As Good on 03/09/2010 20:11:47 MST Print View

...as my "walk it off have a beer and STFU" treatment.

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Now we are totally off course........... on 03/09/2010 20:25:53 MST Print View

Beer is in no way compatible with UL hiking. Vodka, Rum, or Everclear are the only choices. If you choose Everclear you are following the MYOG/Multi-Use philosophy. You can use it as an antiseptic (there, I tied it into the OP), cut it 50/50 for a straight vodka like drink or use it full strength for fuel in your UL Alky stove. I did get vodka to burn once on a really warm day (96^f).

BJ

Mark Hurd
(markhurd) - M

Locale: South Texas
Re: Emergency book on 03/09/2010 20:26:30 MST Print View

Isaac,

I think your original question was about a book. I admit I haven't read this whole thread, but I scanned it and didn't see an answer to your question. This is the book I use and it meet your description of roughly "6x6 inches and about a 100 pages." I highly recommend it for those with some 1st aid training and some common sense.

http://www.amazon.com/Comprehensive-Wilderness-Medicine-Adventure-Medical/dp/0965976807

-Mark

John S.
(jshann) - F
Re: Re: Re: Re: Emergency book on 03/09/2010 20:28:22 MST Print View

Hey Alex, I find it difficult to stomach those condescending tortillas myself.

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Re: Re: Emergency book on 03/09/2010 20:33:19 MST Print View

Thank you Mark. That looks the real deal. I, along with others, suspected Adventure Medical Kits. Good call.

The rest of this is feeling like Chaffe.

BJ

Edited by lilorphanbilly on 03/09/2010 20:43:11 MST.

Gordon Smith
(swearingen) - MLife

Locale: Portland, Oregon
Chaff on 03/09/2010 20:49:29 MST Print View

>>The rest of this is feeling like Chaffe.<<

Yeah, sheesh. Apparently we can make anything into a controversy here at BPL.

G

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

Re RE RE:Chaffe on 03/09/2010 20:58:05 MST Print View

Gordon,

That's why we love it. Please tell me you are standing under a waterfall...... I was stationed in Ft Lewis. It kind of looks like you are walking a dog?
BJ

bj bretzke
(lilorphanbilly) - F

First-aid on 03/09/2010 21:09:12 MST Print View

I wonder if a first-aid wiki would be in order?
BJ

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/09/2010 21:52:26 MST Print View

> Finally drove myself to Emergency. Soon as I got there, blood gushed out
> like a fountain -- the counter, the floor -- all red with my blood. They stitched
> me up in minutes -- didn't even have to wait. I was happy -- until the bill
> arrived -- $1,000!!

Been there, done that. (Honest.)
The nurse said 'Er yuk' - very professional.
The intern (slightly new) tried to sew up the artery without a tourniquet - total failure. "But we don't do tourniquets these days - risk of gangrene." Meanwhile I'm bleeding everywhere. I (*I*) had to put the tourniquet on my arm so she could sew it up. I hope she learnt something.

Anyhow ... the bill was $0. That's because we have a decent public health insurance/care system in Australia, unlike America. That's right: ER in Australia is FREE. Ambulance is FREE.

Cheers

Nick Gatel
(ngatel) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Re: Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/09/2010 23:50:38 MST Print View

Roger,

It isn't free. Someone is paying the people in the ER, the utilities, buying the equipment, etc.

:)

David Lutz
(davidlutz)

Locale: Bay Area
"Emergency book" on 03/10/2010 00:17:20 MST Print View

+1 on that, Nick. Often forgotten these days.....there is no "free".

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/10/2010 00:27:28 MST Print View

Roger, two fingers on the appropriate pressure point would have stopped the blood also- the intern should have at least known that.

Nick- maybe not free in the truest sense- but available to everyone at a fair price (no more have and have not's), fair and equitable for all.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/10/2010 02:41:28 MST Print View

> two fingers on the appropriate pressure point would have stopped the blood
True, very true. A tourniquet with my handkerchief on my upper arm was dead easy though, and a lot safer ...

> also- the intern should have at least known that.
TRUE - but she didn't.

> not free in the truest sense- but available to everyone at a fair price
> (no more have and have not's), fair and equitable for all.
YES! And the cost is not as great as the Republicans would have you believe.

Yes, it comes out of our taxes. Frankly, I think spending my taxes on health care is better than subsidising the oil companies and spending giga-dollars on overseas wars.

When it is 'free' like this, the medical staff in the hospitals focus on looking after me rather than wondering what they can charge me for.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/10/2010 02:45:14 MST Print View

If this thread turns political, you might have to move it to Chaff.
--B.G.--

Rod Lawlor
(Rod_Lawlor) - MLife

Locale: Australia
Re: Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/10/2010 03:05:28 MST Print View

> That's right: ER in Australia is FREE. Ambulance is FREE.

Actually Roger, I think you'll find that Ambulance will slug you pretty well if you're not a member. Of course family membership runs around $114 (US$100ish) for a year.

Of course the ER isn't free. It costs taxpayers 1.5% of their wage. Of course this 1.5% pays not just for the ER, but the whole of the public health care system. It's not perfect but it's pretty bloody good.

(Disclaimer, it pays my wage too)

Gary Boyd
(debiant) - F

Locale: Mid-west
Re: Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/10/2010 04:39:13 MST Print View

Roger, it may have been free, but it sounds like you had to do half the work yourself ;)

Donna C
(leadfoot) - M

Locale: Middle Virginia
Re: Re: Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/10/2010 05:49:54 MST Print View

Yes, and was the torniquet yours? If so, homemade? Cuben, silk or specialized rubber? : )

Andy F
(AndyF) - M
Re: Re: Re: Can't make this up: on 03/10/2010 10:11:39 MST Print View

"I (*I*) had to put the tourniquet on my arm so she could sew it up."

That's the social part of socialized medicine. Everyone has to get involved in the treatment, including the patient. ;D