Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
trekking pole grips
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dennis Park
(dpark) - MLife

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area
trekking pole grips on 03/08/2010 22:08:01 MST Print View

Does it make much of difference when using foam, cork, or rubber grips?

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
quite a big difference on 03/08/2010 22:10:51 MST Print View

Foam and cork are much warmer in the cold. Cork (or the faux cork GG uses) is also not slick on sweaty hands.

I think the GG grips are the bees knees. And you can buy them separately and mate them with strong poles.

James Naphas
(naphas13) - MLife

Locale: SoCal
Re: trekking pole grips on 03/08/2010 22:34:06 MST Print View

I like either foam or cork, but equally important for me is the strap, as I tend to have most of my weight on that and only a loose grip on the handle. Also, I like handles that have a bit of angle to them.

Steven Evans
(Steve_Evans) - MLife

Locale: Canada
Re: trekking pole grips on 03/08/2010 22:49:39 MST Print View

David,
Do you (or anyone else) know where to buy the GG grips other then GG themselves? I spent some time trying to souce them but I couldn't find anything as nice and contoured as what they offer.

Ben 2 World
(ben2world) - MLife

Locale: So Cal
Re: trekking pole grips on 03/08/2010 23:39:42 MST Print View

Dennis:

A lot of the difference is going to be subjective. For example, I prefer the foam-like material of Titanium Goat poles. They dry out much faster -- whereas when wet, cork tend to stay wet and clammy longer! The subjective part is that this may or may not be an issue for you.

As for the contour of the grip, again, having used both TG and GG LT4's -- I have a slight preference for the TG's smooth and comfy grip over the GG's sculpted but (to me) less comfy grip. So again, subjective.

David Chenault
(DaveC) - BPL Staff - F

Locale: Crown of the Continent
GG grips on 03/09/2010 08:20:32 MST Print View

"Do you (or anyone else) know where to buy the GG grips other then GG themselves?"

I do not. 20 bucks seemed reasonable enough.

Lawson Kline
(Mountainfitter) - M

Locale: LawsonEquipment.com
Cork Vs. Foam on 03/09/2010 12:12:52 MST Print View

I prefer cork over foam but foam seems to dry faster, is cheaper and more durable. Both are nice and are more of a personal preference.