November 20, 2015 8:16 PM MST - Subscription purchasing, account maintenance, forum profile maintenance, new account registration, and forum posting have been disabled
as we prepare our databases for the final migration to our new server next week. Stay tuned here for more details.
Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
REI boot salesman
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
REI boot salesman on 03/08/2010 21:50:47 MST Print View

Staff at my local REI's are generally outdoor enthusiasts who have decent familiarity with their product line.

Not so much today. I was scouting the boots to see if I should wait for the dividend and 20% coupon, or order online from STP. I need some winter boots to use with crampons so was looking at the La Sportiva line- specifically the Trango and Karakorum. I asked the salesman to compare the two.

He started going on about the "fabric" on the Karakorum. How it it abrasion resistant and has such a unique texture...

It's LEATHER. From a cow. The dude is selling shoes and doesn't recognize leather!

I got home and ordered a couple pair of boots from the internet. Can't handle another shoe salesman...

Brett Rasmussen
(ascientist) - MLife

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon
Salesman on 03/08/2010 22:41:52 MST Print View

Sometimes when I'm shopping at a store with salesman that want to "help out," more than I want, I like to see how long I can go without letting one of them get close enough to start a conversation. It can be interesting to see how much they will follow you. Like playing a game of tag and they don't know it.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Salesman on 03/08/2010 22:45:17 MST Print View

Thats too funny Brett.

But I know what you mean. When I was just getting into backpacking, I was always asking them for help. Now, I mostly try to avoid their help! But thats not to say there aren't some very knowledgeable and helpful people at REI.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Re: Salesman on 03/08/2010 23:10:40 MST Print View

I had a salesman at a local shop talking to me about tents. He loved Big Agnes because he supported things made in the USA. I bit my tongue but I should have told him to look at the clearly visible "made in China" tag inside tent.