Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
REI boot salesman
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jim W.
(jimqpublic) - MLife

Locale: So-Cal
REI boot salesman on 03/08/2010 21:50:47 MST Print View

Staff at my local REI's are generally outdoor enthusiasts who have decent familiarity with their product line.

Not so much today. I was scouting the boots to see if I should wait for the dividend and 20% coupon, or order online from STP. I need some winter boots to use with crampons so was looking at the La Sportiva line- specifically the Trango and Karakorum. I asked the salesman to compare the two.

He started going on about the "fabric" on the Karakorum. How it it abrasion resistant and has such a unique texture...

It's LEATHER. From a cow. The dude is selling shoes and doesn't recognize leather!

I got home and ordered a couple pair of boots from the internet. Can't handle another shoe salesman...

Brett Rasmussen
(ascientist) - MLife

Locale: Grants Pass, Oregon
Salesman on 03/08/2010 22:41:52 MST Print View

Sometimes when I'm shopping at a store with salesman that want to "help out," more than I want, I like to see how long I can go without letting one of them get close enough to start a conversation. It can be interesting to see how much they will follow you. Like playing a game of tag and they don't know it.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Salesman on 03/08/2010 22:45:17 MST Print View

Thats too funny Brett.

But I know what you mean. When I was just getting into backpacking, I was always asking them for help. Now, I mostly try to avoid their help! But thats not to say there aren't some very knowledgeable and helpful people at REI.

>> Bender <<
(Bender) - MLife

Locale: NEO
Re: Re: Salesman on 03/08/2010 23:10:40 MST Print View

I had a salesman at a local shop talking to me about tents. He loved Big Agnes because he supported things made in the USA. I bit my tongue but I should have told him to look at the clearly visible "made in China" tag inside tent.