Forum Index » Philosophy & Technique » Storing DAMS

Display Avatars Sort By:
Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Storing DAMS on 03/08/2010 13:08:54 MST Print View

Since it's recommended to store down quilts/bags uncompressed, can I assume I should store my DAM the same way, just unrolled? Should I leave the valves open? Or should I partially inflate and leave them like that?

Thanks,

Doug

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Storing DAMS on 03/08/2010 13:10:25 MST Print View

Doug,
I was going to ask that same thing once I got my DAMs from Bender.

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Re: Re: Storing DAMS on 03/08/2010 13:18:49 MST Print View

You would want to store them partly or mostly filled with dry air. Moist air can possibly start a moldy condition. You could store them with open valve, but then you have little control over the air quality. You probably would not want to store them tightly inflated, because that might possibly lead to a leak. OTOH, if you did store them inflated, and then if you checked on them later and found it to be only partly inflated, you would know that a leak had been developed. It would be better to discover those things at home and not out on the trail.
--B.G.--

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Storing DAMS on 03/08/2010 13:20:24 MST Print View

Bob, that's what my gut feeling is also, since it would allow the down to loft as much as possible.

Doug, was there any self-inflating effect caused by the lofting down?

Sorry, you got questions coming from all angles from me!

Edited by T.L. on 03/08/2010 13:21:27 MST.

Doug I.
(idester) - MLife

Locale: MidAtlantic
Re: Re: Re: Re: Storing DAMS on 03/08/2010 13:22:55 MST Print View

"Doug, was there any self-inflating effect caused by the lofting down?"

I wouldn't really notice. I blow it up pretty fully when I get to camp. I wouldn't think so, though.

Diplomatic Mike
(MikefaeDundee)

Locale: Under a bush in Scotland
Re : Storing DAMS on 03/08/2010 14:01:08 MST Print View

I've always stored mine flat with the valves open. My gut feeling is that mould is more likely in stale, enclosed air. I haven't had any problems yet. Just my gut feeling though.

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: Re : Storing DAMS on 03/08/2010 14:02:40 MST Print View

We partially fill our (~50%) with warm dry air using a hair dryer.

Michael Richey
(beaverboymike) - M

Locale: Southern Utah
DAM storage on 03/08/2010 14:22:25 MST Print View

I store mine flat, about 1/3 of the way filled up. (with valve closed)

John Vance
(Servingko) - F

Locale: Intermountain West
DAM Storage on 03/23/2010 09:04:21 MDT Print View

I have stored mine by inflating them, placing under the bed and then opening the valves so the down can "breathe" and still be somewhat uncompressed. I felt that leaving the valves closed all the time might compromise the seal over time but that may be unfounded.

I have had exped downmats that have down treated with an anti fungal/mold treatment so that may not be an issue. I have a pad from Bender being made and will continue to store it the same way.