Yosemite 5 day trip at end of march?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Ananda t
(ratkiley) - F
Epic 5 day backpacking trip at end of march without snowshoes? on 03/08/2010 10:14:23 MST Print View

Hello,

I haven't been to Yosemite this early in the season before, but I hear it is cold and snowy. My sister and I are planning a trip to Yosemite at the end of March. There has been a descent amount of snow this year, so I don't know if we should plan on a trip that is lower elevation to avoid the snow? I just want to go on a hike that is really epic because we are taking a week off to do the backpacking trip. We tried the Grand Canyon, but it was fully booked 6 weeks ahead. Any other ideas for an epic wilderness experience without the really cold snowy conditions at the end of march?

I saw this old post on a similar topic, but I don't know about any of the mentioned trips. Does anyone know which ones are on the scale and quality of Yosemite or the Grand Canyon?

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/forums/thread_display.html?forum_thread_id=6167

Thanks,
Ananda

Edited by ratkiley on 03/08/2010 13:10:32 MST.

Trevor Wilson
(trevor83) - MLife

Locale: Swiss Alps / Southern Appalachians
Utah on 03/08/2010 11:00:55 MST Print View

One of the national parks in southern Utah might be a good bet and have less snow although the altitude still gets pretty high - Zion, Canyonlands, or Bryce. I believe Zion is a little lower in elevation than the others so maybe most of the snow would be gone by late March?

Bob Gross
(--B.G.--) - F

Locale: Silicon Valley
Yosemite on 03/08/2010 11:04:23 MST Print View

Yosemite is a great place to go at the end of March, as long as you are on snowshoes or X-C skis. The high country will be snow-covered. Yosemite Valley will be free of snow, but that is less of a wilderness and more of an urban slum.
--B.G.--