Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
Under quilt used as Over quilt
Display Avatars Sort By:
Matthew Richardson
(redmatt) - F

Locale: Midwest
Under quilt used as Over quilt on 03/06/2010 22:48:55 MST Print View

I was wondering if anyone has done this for any lengthy period of time. Also thoughts in general about it. Considering Jacks R Better Nest.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Under quilt used as Over quilt on 03/07/2010 06:02:27 MST Print View

I used the Nest as an overquilt when I was in the Rockies outside of Durango this summer. Spent a week in a hammock, with a pad underneath and the Nest over me, down to around 30F. I was warm and comfortable.

As long as the quilt allows you to form a foot pocket it can be used as an overquilt. Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to use a flat quilt over me if I couldn't create a foot pocket, but it would probably work also.

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Locale: Central Valley
Re: Under quilt used as Over quilt on 03/07/2010 11:46:27 MST Print View

All the JRBs are multi function like that. My underquilt is exactly the same model as my top quilt.

The Nest is for use under the Hennessy with the bottom slit but is otherwise the same quilt as the Hudson River or the No Sniveller.

Matthew Richardson
(redmatt) - F

No sniveller on 03/07/2010 11:52:48 MST Print View

I think I found a used No Sniveller and I guess I'm going to give it a shot. I will be using it on an AT Thru Hike. Mostly for ground dwelling. I may hang some though. Thanks guys. Next will be maybe a HH Hyperlite Backpacker Asym and poncho tarp. Let me know if you know anyone that has one for sale as I would like to hang in some of the warmer weather and feel my adventurer is too heavy.

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Re: No sniveller on 03/07/2010 11:57:58 MST Print View

All you have to do is hang out in hammock forums for sale forum... been a lot of quilts for sale there lately.

Matthew Richardson
(redmatt) - F

hammock forums on 03/07/2010 12:19:41 MST Print View

Do you know of any good ones?

Lori Pontious
(lori999) - M

Re: hammock forums on 03/07/2010 12:43:48 MST Print View

good sales? or good quilts?

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=28

You have to keep going back - stuff sells fast.

Don Selesky
(backslacker) - M
Re: Re: Under quilt used as Over quilt on 03/07/2010 14:25:14 MST Print View

"All the JRBs are multi function like that."

The Mt. Washingtons don't; they're intended strictly as underquilts (not that you *can't* put one on top, but there's no foot pocket).

Edited by backslacker on 03/07/2010 14:25:48 MST.