Hi -- question to Exos users
Display Avatars Sort By:
Dave U
(FamilyGuy) - F

Locale: Rockies
Exos - load lifters on 03/07/2010 16:48:26 MST Print View

"Load lifters should be set just to the point where they get tight and create 45 degrees without causing your shoulder straps to pickup and away from your shoulders."

Not exactly. Depends on the size of the pack and how tall the frame is.

josh wagner
(StainlessSteel) - F
+1 lynn on 03/07/2010 20:33:30 MST Print View

my exos 58 is nice for really anything from a dayhike to a week between resupplies. i don't have that bouncing issue nor the belts cutting into me. the only concern i have is that sometimes the clip at the waistbelt sticks when i try to unhook it.

i'm glad i went with the 58. i'd have trouble getting a week's resupply of food into the 46

Lynn Tramper
(retropump) - F

Locale: The Antipodes of La Coruna
Re: +1 lynn on 03/08/2010 11:58:03 MST Print View

"i'm glad i went with the 58. i'd have trouble getting a week's resupply of food into the 46"

+1 The volume you will need is entirely individual. I carry too many bulky items to fit it all into the Exos 46 without having junk hanging off the outside (which I wish to avoid like the plague).

Raymond Estrella
(rayestrella) - MLife

Locale: Northern Minnesota
Exos on 03/08/2010 20:19:51 MST Print View

Henry I am much like you. I am tall and have worn my body out. I don't have a dog though...

I do have an Exos 58 and really like it a lot. As it does not allow for torso adjustment make sure you get the right size though. I use a large, I am 6' 3" with a 20" torso.

http://tinyurl.com/yca9ren

Edited by rayestrella on 03/09/2010 05:00:41 MST.

James Lantz
(jameslantz) - F

Locale: North Georgia
Re: Exos 34 on 03/08/2010 21:04:44 MST Print View

I've used the Exos 34 for trips up to 4 days with room to spare. It would easily carry more food for longer trips with a summer gear set. I could see that a winter gear set would push its limits not in weight but perhaps in volume. Paul's advice for packing technique is "spot on" to give a comfortable carry. Take a look at the 46 & 34. You will be surprised at how much they can carry & how comfortably they can do so.

Mike M
(mtwarden) - MLife

Locale: Montana
^ agreed on 03/08/2010 21:13:04 MST Print View

agree- I have a 46 and hindsight being 20:20, I should have gotten a 34

most of my trips are 2-3 days, when they get at the week mark the 46 is fine, but most trips I wish I went smaller

Paul Wozniak
(PaulW)

Locale: Midwest
Exos size on 03/09/2010 06:53:59 MST Print View

Henry,

It all comes down to YOUR anticipated volume. Take your (realistic) gear and food for the longest trip you expect this pack to carry you. Do stuff your sleeping bag in the bottom of the pack instead of in a stuff sack. Try the 34 first and work your way up.

I've scanned my gear list to give you an idea of what I can squeeze in for a week (it's a pretty shoddy scan, but legible). YMMV, especially with food choices so bring your typical food along to pack in.

Who needs the 58? Winter hikers, family hikers carrying for others, hikers with large volume gear, long distance hikers with minimal re-supply. If you are in those groups buy accordingly.

Let us know how you go and good luck.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Exos size on 03/09/2010 06:57:51 MST Print View

Henry,
If you're near an REI, take all your gear--both your 3 season and winter kit--and bring it to the store and start packing. Be sure to leave room for food and water. Then you'll know for sure which one works best for you.

Or, like Nia said earlier, buy one, and try it at home. With REI's return policy, you can safely do this without fear of losing any money.

Edited by T.L. on 03/09/2010 07:03:03 MST.

SPIRIDON Papapetroy
(spotlight) - F
Packing My Exos on 07/24/2013 02:20:01 MDT Print View

I have the Exos 46 but i am thinking of buying the 58. My gear is a Tarptent Moment DW, Montbell UL Spiral Down Hugger #3 regular, Exped SIM Lite UL 2.5 M, 2lt insulated hydration bladder, and some canned food depending on how many days i plan to hike. I try to put almost all my stuff inside the pack, the tent and next to it the sleeping bag or the sleeping pad (both of them don't fit in the pack one on top of the other) and on top the canned food and some energy bars. I usually put small stuff like towel, knife and gloves to the top lid or the side pocket. My main problem is that because the curved shape of the aluminum frame, it very difficult to push down the sleeping pad or the sleeping bag when the hydration bladder is full. The shape of the frame somewhat divides the pack in two parts making difficult to pack stuff that is wide and put it at the bottom. The middle part of the pack becomes narrow. Do you think that buying the Exos 58 might solve this issue and packing the gear i mentioned before easier, or there might be a better way of packing my stuff in the existing 48? I see in the specs of these packs that the 58 is only 5cm taller, the other dimensions are the same, so it might not be much bulkier.

Edited by spotlight on 07/24/2013 02:26:46 MDT.

Martin Ellenberger
(martellenberger) - M
exos 46 on 07/24/2013 17:40:46 MDT Print View

Go with the Exos 46 you won't regret it. If it is a tight fit you can always put your bladder between the back mesh and the pack. The only downfall I have with the pack is no bottom access, but you can do without as long as you pack well.

Jake D
(JakeDatc) - F

Locale: Bristol,RI
Re: exos 46 on 07/24/2013 20:39:33 MDT Print View

you guys do realize the OP is from 3 years ago right....

Spotlight. When I had a lot of food in my Exos 58 (4-5 days) i put my tent under the top lid. use the orange strap to lock it down then put the lid over the top. saves space inside and still keeps things fairly compact. Also you could put the water bladder in the stretch pocket on the outside... or use normal water bottles