Best Powdered Mix for Alchohol?
Display Avatars Sort By:
Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Locale: Eastern Canada
Any innovative Bartender / Hikers out there? on 03/04/2010 19:21:17 MST Print View

Not entirely sure if this is appropriate.. But I do a fair amount of hiking that involves nights of drinking. At times I have found myself as well as others carrying 2 liter bottles of Coke or Pepsi...

Obviously I bought water purification for a reason!

I am also wondering and think there is possibly some sort of lightweight CO2 mechinism out there that could carbonate said drinks...

This would solve everyone of my problems! At least for a weekend! :D

Edited by coreyfmiller on 03/04/2010 19:32:10 MST.

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Alka Seltzer? on 03/04/2010 19:26:29 MST Print View

Alka Seltzer? Probably a bad taste... or maybe not used in small amounts per drink? Gonna have to test it... sounds weird though!

Theres gotta be something out there in the home brew business that would work... would probably need to be modified... but hell... that would make you the king of backpacking!

Hiking with Dehydrated Coca Cola... get some water... mix it up and add some Carbonation so it taste like the real thing...

I could MAKE MONEY on the trails! lol

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Nothing like commenting on your own comment on 03/04/2010 19:30:17 MST Print View

Actually just found this... Its huge though! However the CO2 bottle looks easy enough to manage by the pictures...

Something that needs to be broken down and made to work with a Nalgene sized bottle

Maybe Im thinking too luxurious!

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

A plus would be on 03/04/2010 19:34:53 MST Print View

Would be wonderful if... something could be made that was hand held... that had a cap and small hose that fit onto a bottle of some sort...

I shouldnt drink when I post here... :D

John A
(JohnA) - F

Locale: Great Lakes State
Brewing Supplies on 03/04/2010 19:35:42 MST Print View

http://www.midwestsupplies.com/party-star-deluxe-tap-system.html

They probably carry cola syrup here, too.

JohnA

Jeremy Greene
(tippymcstagger) - F

Locale: North Texas
Dehydrated Coca Cola on 03/04/2010 19:36:00 MST Print View

You can approximate the scent with lime, cinnamon, clove, and vanilla. For taste, your alka-seltzer might give the salt (perhaps too much) and you will need to add sweetener. The lime and ethanol might take care of the sour and bitter. Its probably a bad idea, so you should definitely try it...

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Maybe im dreaming on 03/04/2010 19:46:20 MST Print View

lol I like that! Your Nuttin Fancy right? Love your videos! Reason I bought some of the knives/gear actually.

I think the masses would pay well for a portable bartending system. Thinking lightweight It may be able to come in under 2 pounds.

Three collapsable bottles, a couple CO2 cartridges... A small delivery system with 3 buttons and a bit of hosing.

A 1 pound version for hikers!

Hey, I know I could sell a little bit of hiking to my girl if I could provide some nice carbonated drinks.

I think im just dreaming!

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Going to test on 03/04/2010 19:48:05 MST Print View

Going to test the alka seltzer here in a few minutes... I think I have some laying around. I think the girly has some kinda thing to clean her mouth peice every night...

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
Best Powdered Mix for Alchohol? on 03/04/2010 19:49:01 MST Print View

If you are familiar with the C02 cartridges that go into airguns, there are ways to use them to carbonate beverages quickly.

You want to google for a Cornelius keg ball lock quick connect fitting, a Cornelius C02 Charger, and a Carbonator cap.

The charger connects to the ball lock quick connect, and the quick connect snaps onto the Carbonator cap.

Used together, these will let you carbonate beverages in your favorite container with standard soda bottle threads.

The C02 keg charger

Cornelius keg ball lock quick connect fitting

carbonator cap, keeps the pressure in the bottle. MYOG directions on the internet.

They go together like this, 2.10 ounces for the pair. I don't know the weight of the charger, but it screws onto the threads. About 45 seconds to produce a sparkling beverage, using 3-5 grams of CO2 in the process.

Edited by redmonk on 03/04/2010 21:50:45 MST.

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Amazing on 03/04/2010 20:02:34 MST Print View

Im going to have to look into this, sure looks a lot better than carrying soda/pop into the woods. I always like a mix myself and Carbonation always help with the taste.

That bottle with the attatchment at the bottom of your post... is that a stand alone unit? Just insert CO2 Cartridge?

Looks promising!

Now I just need to find a suitable dehydrated mix... Lemonaide, Iced Tea?

Thank you btw!

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Awsome! on 03/04/2010 20:07:05 MST Print View

John, sorry missed your post. You must have been writting while we were also posting.

That system looks very promising! And I like the syrup idea! In fact I could probably make my own syrup!

I make maple syrup in the spring... no reason I cant do it with any type of soda I want... Evaporate!

Maybe a combination of both your idea's will be the final product! Im making this happen within the next three months... Every year I come to camp with something that impresses the boys! This would be hard to top though!

Corey Miller
(coreyfmiller) - F

Nice Site! on 03/04/2010 20:09:04 MST Print View

Just going through the rest of the site and they have some nice stuff! Another book mark... 130+ now in two weeks of being on this site...

Everyone here is awesome!

Travis Naibert
(outwest) - F
whiskey? on 03/04/2010 20:54:22 MST Print View

Why not just carry whiskey in an 8 (or 16 or 32) ounce waterbottle? It tastes great by itself, can be mixed with cold water/snow, and would weigh a heck of a lot less than this fancy carbonation business. Just add a little sugar and a packet of true lemon for the ladies. Also good in tea or hot water.

And if you drink the whole bottle in one night you will surely impress your buddies.

Edited by outwest on 03/04/2010 20:55:18 MST.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Single malt! on 03/04/2010 21:40:44 MST Print View

What sacrilege! Single malt Scotch on the rocks-- ice off the glacier, of course. Soda is for children :)

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Single malt! on 03/04/2010 22:11:12 MST Print View

http://patsbackcountrybeer.com/home.html

'nuf said.

Konrad .
(Konrad1013) - MLife
Re: Re: Single malt! on 03/05/2010 00:32:29 MST Print View

Holy crap Travis, that is genius. Must try next time.

Personally, I prefer the single malt, or blended scotch. Easier to enjoy by itself.

...or you can you can take the Fade-o-Rade route. Vodka and powdered gatorade when it's "boy's night out"

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Re: Re: Re: Single malt! on 03/05/2010 00:35:49 MST Print View

Konrad,
Unfortunately, that website has been in their "production" stages for quite some time! I hope they're for real!

jim bailey
(florigen) - F - M

Locale: South East
Best Powdered Mix for Alchohol on 03/07/2010 15:40:32 MST Print View

Depending on the season there are several concoctions that work great together.

Warmer weather would suggest Crystal Lite single serve packets with different flavors mixed with Everclear (lightest weight)
flavored Ice tea's are pretty tasty.

Colder nights would advise serving hot drinks Like Loco Cocoa which consists of hot cocoa, Kaluha and a little vodka for extra strength.

Feel free to PM me on this, wrote a book a few years back consisting of recipes
can hook you up with a copy
CHEERS!
Jim