Ultralight (or even lightweight) panel loading packs
Display Avatars Sort By:
Jennifer McFarlane
(JennyMcFarlane) - MLife

Locale: Southern California
Panel Loader on 10/06/2011 17:43:48 MDT Print View

Chris Zimmer can make you a custom backpack to your specifications for way less than a McHale.
I just received one from him- very professionally made.
www.zimmerbuilt.com

Eugene Smith
(Eugeneius) - MLife

Locale: Nuevo Mexico
"Ultralight (or even lightweight) panel loading packs" on 10/06/2011 19:59:03 MDT Print View

Adrian,

I was looking for a panel loader myself a while back, what was available was either too expensive, hard to find (Mountainsmith Ghost), lacked volume, or too "heavy". Chris Zimmer
constructed a great pack from some sketches and brainstorming sessions of mine a few months ago, I'm very happy with the outcome. Ultralight wasn't the goal of the pack, changes in material could have changed the overall weight quite a bit.

Chris Zimmer creation \"Eugeneius\" pack

IMG_2074

Arapiles .
(Arapiles) - M

Locale: Melbourne
Re: Re: Golite Litespeed on 10/07/2011 08:30:11 MDT Print View

"Thanks - looks like a nice pack, the volume is a little on the small side though, it's a pity they don't do a larger version."

I was looking at one a couple of days ago and was surprised by how big it is: the thing is that most "30 litre" packs aren't anywhere near that (you can check that just by multiplying the given dimensions) so it might be worth checking the given dimensions of the Litespeed.

Don't believe me? How many "30 litre" daypacks do you know of that could carry a jerrycan? (Either as is, or even all of the contents).

And a jerrycan is only 20 litres ....

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: measuring pack volume on 10/07/2011 08:50:09 MDT Print View

Wasn't there some mention of measuring pack volume recently? Maybe in the articles on framed packs. Anyway, they use something like ping pong balls. Pockets are usually included in the volume specs and they can be significant with a smaller pack. To add to the madness, some makers use model numbers that don't reflect the actual volume. Assume nothing!

I have a couple Osprey packs with vented "trampoline" backs and they look larger than they are due to the arched back and frame. I don't know how they compare for actual volume vs. the specs, and that hasn't been an issue-- I guess my perception is trained to other designs.

Roger Caffin
(rcaffin) - BPL Staff - MLife

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe
Re: Re: measuring pack volume on 10/07/2011 15:53:29 MDT Print View

> Pockets are usually included in the volume specs
But if you want to quote volume per the ASTM Standard then you can only include pockets which can be properly and fully closed. Open mesh pockets can NOT be counted.

Several American pack manufacturers seem to include all open mesh pockets, each one measured separately, to get a value which is simply not comparable to measurements made to the Standard. Caveat emptor.

Before anyone gets upset about this, let me add that I do not mind if the manufacturer quotes the volumes in detail - giving each one separately, so the buyer can make up his own mind. More information is good.

Cheers

Adrian B
(adrianb) - MLife

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Ultralight (or even lightweight) panel loading packs on 02/10/2013 02:44:40 MST Print View

Granite Gear Aji V.C. 50 1.16kg / 2lbs 9oz

Max Dilthey
(mdilthey) - M

Locale: MaxTheCyclist.com
Raisin' the Dead? on 02/10/2013 10:24:33 MST Print View

Zombie

Ken Thompson
(kthompson) - MLife

Locale: Behind the Redwood Curtain
Ultralight (or even lightweight) panel loading packs on 02/10/2013 10:29:12 MST Print View

http://www.rivendellmountainworks.com/shop/larkspur-price-tba/

yyyu

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Ultralight (or even lightweight) panel loading packs on 02/12/2013 09:01:30 MST Print View

Elemental Horizon Aduro SL

James DeGraaf
(jdegraaf) - MLife

Locale: Bay Area
Re: Re: Ultralight (or even lightweight) panel loading packs on 02/12/2013 14:37:01 MST Print View

Beat me to it. I was going to mention this same one. EH makes some nice packs.

Link .
(annapurna) - MLife
Re: Re: Re: Ultralight (or even lightweight) panel loading packs on 02/13/2013 09:23:25 MST Print View

Ya James, I have the Elemental Horizon Kalais and love it!

John Kays
(johnk) - M

Locale: SoCal
Ancient History on 02/13/2013 12:58:38 MST Print View

The Gregory Rock Creek and its knock-off, the REI Eveningstar were early panel loaders. The Eveningstar weighed about 4 lbs and the Gregory was significantly heavier. They were very convenient packs to access allowing for finding items in the sloppiest packed carry-all.

Edited by johnk on 02/13/2013 21:49:41 MST.

Adrian B
(adrianb) - MLife

Locale: Auckland, New Zealand
Re: Ultralight (or even lightweight) panel loading packs on 12/26/2013 15:51:01 MST Print View

http://www.mountainphotographer.com/panel-loader-backpacks-for-hiking-photographers/