Subscribe Contribute Advertise Facebook Twitter Instagram Forums Newsletter
water bottle input needed
Display Avatars Sort By:
Darwin Roos
(darwin310) - F

Locale: Great Lakes Area
water bottle input needed on 03/03/2010 22:39:34 MST Print View

I need an actual 1 liter wide mouth water bottle with a lid. The 1 liter wide mouth Nalgene is great, EXCEPT for the weight. Do you know of another option, which still is actually 1 liter (not more or less) and has a wide mouth (I need the wide mouth for stirring my SteriPen)? I also hope that the container will have the 100 mL increments on the side of it (like the Nalgene), but I guess I could somehow mark it myself if it doesn't have them.

Travis Leanna
(T.L.) - MLife

Locale: Wisconsin
Nalgene Cantene on 03/03/2010 22:40:47 MST Print View

Nalgene has the 1L collapsable bottle. It has a wide mouth and weighs less than the hard bottle.

Dale Wambaugh
(dwambaugh) - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Lighter bottles on 03/03/2010 22:56:36 MST Print View

Gatorade?

Target has Embark brand water bottles, 1 liter BPA free Tritan copolyester, wide mouth like a Nalgene, but non-compatible threads [darn!] 4.9oz, $1.24 each.

Ditto on the wide mouth soft Nalgenes. Great if your pack pockets meld with them.

Nalgene makes a white polyethylene bottle that is the same dimensions as the clear ones so you an use someof the acessories too. 3.5oz and $8.50 at REI. It is my choice for use with the Steripen. I added a compass top to one as my backup. http://www.rei.com/product/402049

Edited by dwambaugh on 03/03/2010 22:57:28 MST.

Tad Englund
(bestbuilder) - F - MLife

Locale: Pacific Northwest
Re: water bottle input needed on 03/04/2010 00:07:40 MST Print View

Check out this thread and my response:
Gatorade Bottle SteriPen Adapter

Edited by bestbuilder on 03/04/2010 00:14:18 MST.

BRIAN BOLIN
(OBOZ) - F

Locale: OVER YONDER'
Nalgene Canteen on 03/04/2010 19:07:19 MST Print View

I agree with Travis.
I bought 2 of these myself and I weighed them at 2.4oz! You can't go wrong with that weight.
Here is a pic:Nalgene canteen

Here's a link to BPLs store for them:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/nalgene_cantene_water_bottle_1L.html

Wesley Witt
(weswitt)

Locale: Northwest
Wide Mouth Bottle Materials on 03/12/2010 14:29:40 MST Print View

Interesting that the material makes a big difference in the weight -- you decide if any of these weights are acceptable for your pack.

Nalgene semi-rigid container, High-density Polyethylene, 3.5 oz

Nalgene hard container, Tritan copolyester, 6.2 oz

Nalgene collapsable, Polyethylene, 2.0 oz

Compare that with the Platypus collapsable container at .8 oz.!!

Personally I find the Platy works great for all conditions.

Lyan Jordan
(redmonk)

Locale: Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem
water bottle input needed on 03/12/2010 15:31:37 MST Print View

The Journey comes with the tapered tip that fits platy bottles and similarly sized soda/water bottle openings. It might make more sense than using heavier wide mouthed bottles, if you aren't able to use a cooking container to treat the water.

For example, the platypus weighs 0.8oz, while the 1L nalgene collapsable canteen weighs in at 2.1. That is a difference of 1.3oz.

The Sterpien Adventurer weighs 3.6oz, while the Journey 4.5 oz, a difference of 0.9oz.

By choosing the heavier Journey, and the lighter bottle, you save 0.4oz.Steripen User Guide Image

Edited by redmonk on 03/12/2010 15:48:46 MST.